Sax on the Web Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 208 Results
  1. Eb Alto
    Hello, My name is Natalie and I've been playing alto for 5 years. Sometimes when I buy reeds (either Junos or Vadorians) 2 out of the 5 will just straight up not work. Zero sound, just a small squeak. Does this happen to you guys also or is this a sax problem? -Thanks! :)
  2. Eb Alto
    I personally think that reeds have a big impact on my sound, or maybe its just placebo. But, I use D'Addario royal 2.5 for brighter classical, vandoren blue box for anything classical, V12 for dark classical, and V16 for jazz. Recently I tried blue box for jazz and it sounded pretty good. What...
  3. Eb Alto
    Recently I bought a new jazz mouthpiece, the Theo Wanne NY Bros 2 in a size 6 tip opening. I noticed that whenever I play with either a Vandoren ZZ 2.5 or a Boston Sax Shop 2.5 my octave D and E squeak pretty frequently. The only reeds I've found to fix this are the Nexus 2.5. Could this issue...
  4. Tenor mpc
    I recently purchased a Vandoren V16 t7 mouthpiece. What would you say would be a good Reed combination? I've been trying the Vandoren ZZ strength #3, l love the sound that I'm getting but it's just a little harder than I would like.
  5. Reeds
    Per Legere's website: "Introducing the French Cut, by Légère. A refined, symphonic reed that gives players a richness and stability in tone, without any sacrifice to response. With a profile that has been completely reimagined, the French Cut has been designed for a dark, centered tone that...
  6. Reeds
    I usually like vandoren blue box size three on my b45 mouthpiece but I find daddario reeds to be more consistent on alto. I accidentally bought reserve classics which are closer to v12 reeds and a little too soft for me. Should I just go for the regular reserve or the evolution?
  7. What to Buy & Why: Reeds and Misc.
    Hey everyone! So here we go again - another topic about reeds, which I and maybe some other curious classical players can profit from. After trying many, many synthetic reeds, I decided that I'm maybe not ready for it yet. I came back to my blue box Vandoren reeds - but that doesn't meen the...
  8. What to Buy & Why: Reeds and Misc.
    Hey everyone! All new to this forum. I wanna start my journey here with a question, which might be not the easiest one to answer. I know this is a matter of preferences and very personal, but I feel a little bit lost with the complexity of the topic. Some years ago, I started to play...
  9. Reeds
    I am a very keen Legere reed user. Some 7-8 years ago I purchased several 3.5 strength reeds, which worked perfectly for me. Then I stopped playing for a few years. In January this year I took up playing again (I’m a former woodwind teacher), and picked up relatively easily from where I left...
  10. Reeds
    Hi all, I've been playing Alto for about 9ish years and my concert band setup has come together quite nicely in that time. But I've been playing with different aspects of my jazz setup. I'm looking into trying the BSS Black Label reeds and was wondering how they fare in terms of resistance...
  11. Reeds
    Some may call this trivial, but I figured this could be interesting for at least one or two of you out there, especially those who don't have a whole lot of storage space in their cases. I saw a video online in which someone had fashioned a reed case for themselves by duct taping several of the...
  12. Tenor mpc
    For years I've played an Otto Link STM8 (0.110 tip opening) with Java 2.5-strength reeds on my Selmer Mark VII tenor. I just got a used Jody Jazz DV NY 7* (0.105 tip opening) from saxquest to evaluate, I like the sound but am finding it difficult to hit altisimmo notes. Perhaps I need a stronger...
  13. Reeds
    I play a lot in orchestral settings, covering oboe parts on soprano sax. I play on a Selmer Concept mouthpiece, and just bought a new to me used Yanagisawa SC-991 curved soprano which I am waiting for in the mail. Now with D'addario expanding their organic line, you can find their old packaging...
  14. Reeds
    Has anybody found any videos about the reed manufacturing process? I’m very curious to know more about it, everything from cane selection to cutting and finishing of reeds, including what manufacturing equipment/machinery is used and how the equipment is maintained over manufacturing runs, etc.
  15. Reeds
    I am a long time user of plasticcover, reeds and found quality to slowly drop the entire time. I just picked up four new boxes and I’m blown away. The reeds appear to be cut more evenly, and they all have a bright tone and play consistently across the range of the horn, and are fabulous in the...
  16. Reeds
    My usual tenor reeds (Rigotti Jazz 3Ls) have been feeling a little bit stiff lately, so I was looking to buy a couple of boxes in a slightly softer strength (e.g., 2.5S or 2.5M). But they don't seem to be in stock anywhere! I placed an order with WWBW more than two months ago (when they were...
  17. Misc. Saxophone Discussion
    I know we've all had this issue at some point.... But I need help. My reeds for the past 5ish months have all been subpar to the point that it's making playing enjoyable. 2.5 reeds have been way too hard (Green javas) 2 reeds have mostly been bad but a bit better (Alexander reeds, Vandoren)...
  18. Clarinet
    I've recently been transitioning back to cane reeds (after a few years on Legere) on clarinet. I love Rigotti Golds on saxes, but I haven't heard from anyone using these on clarinet. Does anyone here have experience with them? If so, how do their cut and strengths compare with those of other...
  19. Miscellaneous
    Hey y’all, what do you do for reed storage? I’ve always gone with plastic bags and humidity packs but sometimes my reeds go moldy on me which is really frustrating. Do reed cases actually work? I had one for a while but my reeds consistently got moldy even when I kept up on cleaning my case.
1-19 of 208 Results