Sax on the Web Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 20 Results
  1. Necks
    Hi Everyone Just posting this link of my review of the KB Sax 'Vanguard' neck *** Deleted *** I also have an unboxing of both the Vanguard and Redwood here *** Deleted *** Super impressed with the service from Kim, I'll be reviewing the Redwood later this week.
  2. Classical Saxophone
    One of my former students, very proud of him his tone, (especially on Soprano has come on leaps and bounds) & Altissimo register is just wonderful. I think only UK members can view this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064s2kn
  3. Antigua Winds
    Hi All Back from MusikMesse 2018 in Frankfurt. I only had one real day to take it in and I felt like I needed at least three. Anyway, here's my Vlog episode, (including getting to play the largest playable sax in the world!) My other highlights were, 1. finally getting to play the new...
  4. General History
    So after seeing my kids stuffing their faces with chocolate advent calendars and regaling them with how I had to share mine with my two siblings, and most years it was just a picture one! ;) I thought of an idea to share with the saxophone community through December. A different saxophonist...
  5. Announcements and Bulletin Board
    Hi All I was on a short European tour last week and I finally got the chance to make the pilgrimage to Dinant and visit the Adolphe Sax museum. Here's my video, please 'like' and 'subscribe' if you enjoy it...
  6. Selmer (Paris)
    Last year my first teacher, the reason I play jazz, the main reason I'm a musician passed away. It was a sad time and when his widow asked me to help find a new owner for his saxophone I gladly obliged. I hit a snag when the Serial number I was given placed in the horn in 1975 - a Mark VII...
  7. Announcements and Bulletin Board
    Hi everyone, Last summer a young filmmaker approached me at one of my gigs and asked me if he could make a short documentary film about me. I was flattered and a little nervous, but I'm pleased with the results and I hope you enjoy watching a fellow SOTW on gigs in Central London & Cambridge...
  8. Sacred Sax
    Hi all you may or may not know that I've been at the forefront of using jazz music in churches across the UK over the past few years, I even got to lead jazz services in St. Paul's Cathedral, Ely Cathedral and Methodist Central Hall without being burnt alive! After much encouragement I have...
  9. Tenor mpc
    Hi everyone I wanted to share this review I've just completed on the RS Berkley Chris Potter Tenor Mouthpiece. The only downside was it didn't come with Chris' technique! Great mouthpiece and I'm REALLY enjoying playing this, one of the best. http://danforshaw.com/wp/chris-potter-mouthpiece/
  10. Bb Soprano
    Find out here! This is a recording on my Zoom which I sneaked in, the 'official' recording should be out later in the year. It's a Thomas Tallis composition performed by the King Cave Project. I hope you enjoy it, I'm touring a number of UK Cathedrals over the next six weeks, dates here...
  11. Announcements and Bulletin Board
    Hi everyone I'm hosting an Open Jam tomorrow evening, (Sunday 4th Jan) in Cambridge, (England).. Any SOTW'ers out there who want to come down, bring your axe and let's have some fun! More details here, https://www.facebook.com/events/778285858921403/
  12. Announcements and Bulletin Board
    I'm sure most of us are already aware of the 200th Birthday this Thursday of Adolphe Sax? I will be joining fellow SOTW'r Uwe Steinmetz as he hosts a concert with 200 saxophonists in Berlin. The thing is I'll actually be in Central London playing on the roof of Methodist Central Hall! We're...
  13. Alto mpc
    Hi everyone I've done a video review of the D'Addario Select Jazz Alto Mouthpiece, which you can find here http://cambridgesaxophone.com/wp/daddario-select-jazz-mouthpiece-review/ On the whole a great piece which fits into that 'first upgrade' price where the Selmer soloist, Meyer etc sit.
  14. Misc. Accessories
    Ok so I'm probably more like your average saxophone player than the beautiful people Jazz Lab use for their marketing ;) For years I have suffered from problems with different neck straps, even having to stop playing for a few months to allow things to calm down, a bit difficult as a pro player...
  15. SOTW Member Recordings & Reviews
    Let's have a little game? These three tenors are from very different time periods in the life cycle of the Mark VI (1954-1974). Can you place them in date order? Answers in the comment box below please! To help you the three years of manufacture are 1956, 1961, 1971. (ps You can get a bonus...
  16. Sacred Sax
    Hi everyone I thought some of you might enjoy some of these video clips from a jazz vespers service that I recently lead in our church in Cambridge, England. There is a video of the hymns via the church Facebook page here (you might have to scroll down a bit)...
  17. Sacred Sax
    Hi everyone just to give a quick plug to my latest CD which has come out on iTunes a week earlier than planned. It features Duke Ellington's 'Come Sunday' as the title track and then arrangements of 'Wade in the Water', 'Oh! Happy Day' and some others. These were all recorded with musicians...
  18. Announcements and Bulletin Board
    Thanks to iMovie, I now am! Hope you guys enjoy it, it's a spoof (as in I DO NOT take myself that seriously) but good fun all the same...
  19. General Mouthpiece Discussion
    Firstly, why did I want to purchase a new mouthpiece? Well, apart from the fact that nearly every player I know is still on the search for that elusive 'magical mouthpiece', I had a important recording date at the start of November and I knew that the "new vintage" hard rubber slant that I had...
  20. SOTW Member Recordings & Reviews
    I've been recording some improvisations in an late Coltrane / Evan Parker / Post modernist style...I have put 2 short pieces on my myspace page..I'd love some feedback. I'm still experimenting with my multiphonic fingerings and I know to really pull the Evan Parker thing off I need to circular...
1-20 of 20 Results