Sax on the Web Forum banner

Recording My Practices

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveBrubecksGlasses 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,

I've been lurking for a little while and happened to be practicing last night when I thought I might as well record myself and listen to what I'm doing. Please ignore the miserable background noise in the recording. I was hoping for a little feedback. I just started playing Parker's Mood and am really digging this song a lot. Any suggestions (excluding do a better recording) are welcome.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I've been lurking for a little while and happened to be practicing last night when I thought I might as well record myself and listen to what I'm doing. Please ignore the miserable background noise in the recording. I was hoping for a little feedback. I just started playing Parker's Mood and am really digging this song a lot. Any suggestions (excluding do a better recording) are welcome.
Would like to hear the whole song with the (not busting your chops on the recording quality) backing track a little louder. From what I can hear I like it. Nice taste.

Thanks for posting it

#5 ·
LOL, Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out how to elevate the volume on the backing track so that it sounds better. I'm just using my phone to record what's going on in my room when I'm playing and while it picks me up great it doesn't pickup the backing track I'm playing with very well. I'm starting high school in the fall and think it might be helpful to use the recordings to listen to what I might not be able to hear when I'm playing. Also might be neat to hear any progress I'm making.

#8 ·
i think you are doing pretty good. A little flub on the descending 16th note triplet run, but that's pretty minor. The pitch gets away from you on a couple of the leaps up to the high register. Keep trying to pre-hear that interval before you play it. It sounds like you are already doing it, but keep playing along with Bird, trying to cop his nuances of phrasing and vibrato.

Nicely done, keep on keeping on.

#10 ·
i think you are doing pretty good. A little flub on the descending 16th note triplet run, but that's pretty minor. The pitch gets away from you on a couple of the leaps up to the high register. Keep trying to pre-hear that interval before you play it. It sounds like you are already doing it, but keep playing along with Bird, trying to cop his nuances of phrasing and vibrato...
It's that little stuff that's hard. I have been working on long notes lately. It's good that folks are pointing out these little flubs in my playing. Helps me concentrate on things to practice. Working on volume changes and remaining on pitch is a big one. Thanks for listening!

#9 ·
You remind me of myself years ago. Keep at it. But divide your practice time into just learning the horn and then learning licks/songs/phrases. My chops have gotten much much better because I'm doing all the crap work on flute now. Chromatics, major and minor scales and arpeggios, etudes. After 90 minutes of that my sax goes pretty fast and easy. also on whatever you do Isolate. so just work on time, just work on inflections. just work on pitch, just work on chord tones with rhythm thats the fast way to get better. K

#11 ·
I split my time between the Cello and the Sax. Though my Cello is feeling pretty lonely these days. I've spent the last 8 months on my sax which has really affected my Cello playing. I have a flute and a clarinet but haven't taken the time to really explore them. Hard enough to find time to put my fingers on the strings. But I can see how they might help me with control on the sax. I'm just a little reluctant to add another instrument into a growing mix. Thanks for listening and taking the time to respond!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.