Sax on the Web Forum banner

Taimur joins Northwestern faculty in Fall 2015

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Rackety Sax 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks for the news. I've been wondering what was going on with this and had not seen the announcement.

No reflection on Mr. Sullivan, but is anyone else surprised that NU would hire someone without a doctorate (if I'm reading Sullivan's bio correctly) into this position? I would have expected that to be an absolute prerequisite - but then again I must admit I don't really know what I'm talking about (I know it obviously wasn't a prerequisite when Hemke was hired, but that was a long time ago and with all the doctoral grads the universities are cranking out you'd think they'd at least like to suck one of them up into a prestigious job).

It's also interesting that Hemke, Sinta, and Rousseau would all be electing to retire so close in time - and that they all continued on in their positions so long. They must have enjoyed their work. I salute all three of them for their long and distinguished teaching and performance careers and wish them well in retirement.

#3 ·
One would think that to be the case, but I believe an established professional and teaching career is often more desirable. It is standard policy for universities to require a Master's degree to teach. The job listing for the UT-Austin position reads:
"Masters degree or professional equivalent required. A diversified portfolio including a demonstrated record of excellence as a performing artist on the saxophone and demonstrated experience with teaching, recruiting and sustaining a strong undergraduate and graduate saxophone studio at the university level. The committee and the university value the candidate’s additional strengths in other areas of the music school. Some examples include ensemble leadership, chamber music, music education, and the overall musical life of the university. The successful candidate is expected to maintain professional activities appropriate for tenure at a Tier 1 research university."

#4 ·
It seems like almost a cruel joke to me. Students commit the time, effort, and money to get the doctoral degree, then when a prestige position comes open once in a blue moon, the university hires someone without one. What then, other than personal fulfillment, is the point of pursuing the degree? On a more practical level, how is a professor who has never done doctoral research supposed to effectively supervise students who are pursuing that degree?

#5 ·
What you just said is the pitfall of the Academic system. I think the best person for the job should get it, regardless of the degree he or she has.

I know...I know...someone will say "what then is the point of investing the money and time to get these degrees". Well...personal fulfillment, the gaining of knowledge, networking and a stepping stone to enter the world knowing that you are ready for the journey (educationally speaking) are 4 decent reasons.

I know a few people that don't have a masters, yet are masterful players and amazing teachers. I also, know a few people with Doctorates that aren't as good at teaching and playing as those other guys. Who would you rather have as your teacher? The guy with the piece of paper or the guy with more knowledge that can communicate it to you better? I know my answer.

#11 ·
Mind you, Taimur holds the "equivalent" of a DMA. Most jobs require a DMA or equivalent. Some are specific to DMA for position ie. assistant professor,professor, etc...

What Taimur has done on a daily basis is perform new literature at the highest level, commission new works, record with an internationally recognised ensemble, teach emerging students, tour, write documents.... pretty much what a DMA is learning to do. I would think he could help anyone getting a DMA. As a DMA student you have a committee for your dissertation or DMA project, and one of those is usually from an academic area such as musicology to help you with writing. So, yes, i believe him to be very qualified, and the support system is in place for the student when needed.

#13 ·
The DMA is just an academic starting point. It definitely does not someone one is qualified. In fact, there are so many schools offering this degree now tha5 it has lost ther power.
now, positions say DMA or matching experience. These world class players earn and deserve the positions with out a DMA.
The school definitely made the right choice. So saying someone gets filed away if they dont meet the degree qualifications is surely incorrect.
Also, people without a DMA degree can be part of committees to award the degree. The committee usually needs to have tenured professors and Doctorates included. A group of people award a DMA, not just one. So Taimur can certainly be on a committee to award.
Finally, i imagine this is a constant question for committees. Hire the DMA or hire the experience. The fact of the matter is that usually have the edge as it IS an academic institution.

#15 ·
Preston Duncan has been hired at Minnesota. He has a DMA and is a BAMF.

#16 ·
FWIW, none of the woodwind faculty at NU's Bienen school hold doctorates. http://www.music.northwestern.edu/faculty/woodwinds/index.html

All are, without a doubt, among the finest artist/teachers in the country. The ubiquity of the doctorate is 1) a recent phenomenon and 2) most important at smaller schools in order to elevate prestige. When you are talking about NU (or a dozen other top-tier music schools), faculty often come from the ranks of, for example, the Chicago Symphony. The DMA is great, and reflects extensive work and research on the part of the holder, but membership in one of the world's greatest orchestras (or equivalent professional experience in the case of Taimur via Prism) necessarily trumps it.

#17 ·
Ref: doctorate as a qualifier. When I just had a masters, I got a one-of-a-kind position with a school system and beat out a guy who had a doctorate from Eastman. Some years down the road after I got my doctorate, I missed out on a job when the employer choose someone who was more highly qualified (world class reputation) who didn't have a doctorate. There are some universities that are hard over about their faculty having doctorates.

I don't think the doctorate (and there are some exceptions I was just reading about the other day) is or isn't necessarily a requirement. It is a good-to-have qualification. It can be a tie-breaker. In that regard, it would be prudent for anyone intending a career in academia to get one. What makes a committee choose one candidate over another doesn't necessarily have any obvious logic to it. It's kind of difficult to really come to any firm conclusion as to what attributes one candidate has that's attractive or a turn-off to a hiring committee.

#18 ·
Without starting a new thread, I know Taimur is good/great/excellent/outstanding. But since Taimur is replacing McAllister, just "how good" is Timothy McAllister compared to the rest of the Sinta's former classical saxophone students and players in other schools of classical saxophone? I love his playing, but I have not had the benefit of studying with him or meeting him. It's just a curiosity thing as McAllister has been "university hopping" since U of A, to ASU, to NU, to Michigan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.