Sax on the Web Forum banner

The missing Link or I hope it's not a doorstop..

11K views 114 replies 17 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
I just ordered a standard Link gold STM 8* for my tenor..have not played one in decades..still have a DG and Lakey but I wanted to try the dark thing again.

#3 ·
Well Steve I found a real cheapy one, eBay Music 123 used(scratched bore, whatever that means) cosmetics don't matter if the facing is true and the tip looks good.and if it's all that bad I won't lose much. But a Link was always a staple type mpc. Somebody stole my 7* STM yrs ago..anyway I'm curious to see what kind of a sound I can find in it. They have all these different versions too, New York, Vintage etc ..I got the plain jane model I guess.

#6 ·
I figure the one I ordered was a return or store model etc, got a scratch..was just over a Buck-sixty shipped, the new virgin models are over 2 bills and you still don't know what you're getting into..i plan on trying to play the thing, I realize it might not necessarily be love at first sight,

#9 ·
Cash, I've a lot of Links and never find them bad (but I know the stories of others). If you're embouchure got spoiled by playing high baffle pieces a lot you might have a bad start, because Links normally require more air support (I know you are a pro, so that probably won't be an issue for you).

Even if the one you bought cheap might not play well you could think about a (small) reface, but I would only do that if you think the piece has potential.

#10 ·
I do have a good refacer if need be.

One of my main jobs right now is a soft jazz brunch, blowing my backup 400 tenor with a Super King is a bit much for me and the front row..even my backup rubber Lakey is a big 9*3, somewhat edgy bright sound too. So if the Link puts a sock in it that might be OK. The Link will give me chance to blow at a different level anyway. Fri nites at the Club I'll be back on my Super King.

#11 ·
Well, back in 2007 and 2010 (iirc) I picked up and 6* STM and 7 STM NY, respectively, sight unseen off of eBay for $80 each when they were retail something like $150 (again, iirc). Both arrived practically new with the OEM lig. No teeth marks or observable scratches. Both acquisitions came from separate individuals who gave them a blow and they didn't work for them. I figure what the heck, if I had to get them refaced for $100ea (at the time) I'd be out just a bit more than new retail and I'd have a Link that was "fixed". Fortunately, they both worked out just fine, 'cept for the ligs, albeit, the STM NY can be a bit reed picky. Hope yours turns out the same! Let us know how it comes out!

#13 ·
...the STM NY can be a bit reed picky.
I had a NY Link not too long ago and man I loved the deep tone and how it played, with the right reed on it. Only problem was, that right reed was so rare I just had to give it up. Yes, very reed picky. If I could have played more reeds on it, I'd have kept it around. Don't know if this is true for the 'regular' STM, though.

#12 ·
I have a stock alto STM I bought new in 1995 which is a great player. My favorite alto metal piece. Great projection! Very easy to play.

I also have a stock tenor STM I bought around 2000 and immediately sent to Jon Van Wie to be refaced. This one is a monster player. I can't say how it played new since I didn't even try it. I bought and had it shipped directly to him. So, either way you're safe. Worst that could happen is it is uneven somewhat and you have it refaced, as others said.

Whether you will like the "Link sound", after years on DG's and Lakey's is a different question. In any case, keep us posted!

#18 ·
I've said this before. In general, if you find ligatures and lig placement make a huge difference, then take a look at the flatness of your mouthpiece table and/or reeds. If they are not flat (or perhaps gently concave) you are playing off the high and low spots to find the best response. I find the inconsistency frustrating and prefer flat on flat. Plus, an inexpensive Rovner Light Lig will work as well as a Winslow with less fuss.

#19 ·
Plus, an inexpensive Rovner Light Lig will work as well as a Winslow with less fuss.
Mojo, I'm on your camp. Rovners and basic 2-screw ligatures all the way (Selmer, Bonade). Ligatures by Otto Link, Winslow, FL's, etc are just an annoyance to use. They are fussy to adjust, move every time you grab the mouthpiece to tune.

I strongly believe the subtle difference a player hears between ligatures mostly have to do with his/her perception through skeleton bone conduction to your hearing system. These difference practically disappear to the listeners.

And don't get me started on how neckstrap hooks, lyre screws and every other non-sense impacts one's sound :)

#20 ·
Good stuff guys I hadn't thought much about the Lig deal on an STM. I got Rovners and 2 screws I can try. I got an FL too but you guys know what a PITA they are. It does a really fantastic job sound-wise on my Lakey Alto mpc, but as stated the damn thing is too hard to adjust and don't try to move the mpc on the gig. Might fit the STM tho..I'll try to stick with the Link lig if possible..KISS theory.

#22 ·
I did bone up on the Link history..incredible to say the least.all the different variations..hundreds or more easily..I can only imagine who hammered mine out and what sort of configuration it will be compared to the Links of the past..I thought I got a classic Link STM and then I see the "Vintage" model....? sounds more like the Links of old..what the hell did they do or didn't do to mine that they did to produce one that was more like it used-to-be.. Hell I'm confused.. and the "history" I read cops out and says nothing about the 90's forward. Oh well at least the thing is stamped Link.

#23 ·
Cash, you can find a good overview of the history of metal Links in this thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...n-quot-chart&p=2440386&viewfull=1#post2440386

Forum member Marin Spivack wrote in 2011 a post with some general playing characteristics of most of the metal Links (except the modern ones...):
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ation-thread&p=1666454&viewfull=1#post1666454

His description matches my (more limited) experience with them for a large extend. I can add some info on the more recent models: the current STM (produced since 1980) is a bit darker and less projecting compared to earlier STM's, but I've played some real good ones also in that model (but they project less then the older ones). The STM NY models are a tiny bit darker than the normal STM's, but actually also here I have some great pieces that come close to the 50's/60's types. The New Vintage Tone Master you mentioned is based on the 40's Tone Master. They are the darkest of the modern Links with a low baffle and huge chamber. Soundwise I prefer from the modern models the STM NY, but that's of course personal.

#24 ·
I have two post 2000 NY STM Links- a 7* and a 5*. Both play well top to bottom and are certainly darker than my higher bafffle mouthpieces but both have nice pleasant tones. I have a 90's regular STM which actually plays darker or brighter than my NY STM's, depending on the reed choice. Certain reeds play brighter than others on all of them.
Naturally the 5* requires a harder reed than the 7*. I like Vandoren Red Box 2.5's on the 7* and have been using some Blue box Traditional on the 5* which were too hard for anything else. If I use the Link ligature, I get best results if the edge of it is about a little less than 1/4 of and inch from the front edge of the top ridge. I find an Olegature 4G fits both NY STM's and the regular STM well and sounds different than the stock lig. It seems to have a different effect on the reed vibration with a similar effect of a Rovner lig. It seems to smooth everything out. The link lig seems to plays brighter and harsher. I'm sure my experiences will be different than others.

#27 ·
Yeah, I bet that explains a lot of the difficulties people have with Links. Obviously outside of any other clear defects...

Been thinking about sending out one of my Links to flatten table and blueprint, but, they work pretty well as is so I've been hesitant to mess with them at the same time. I really don't care if the lig sits at the front, middle, back or anywhere in between on the mpc. Just that it enforces a good seal on the table and I've ligs that do just that!

#28 ·
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've owned flat table mouthpieces and ones that aren't. As long as I can play them with no issues, I just leave them alone. I find my off the shelf Links play just as well as higher priced custom Link style mouthpieces costing three times as much. They all are just different. I think matching correct reeds to a particular mouthpiece make the most difference. Of course, I agree that the mouthpiece has go have a reasonably well done curve.

#30 ·
HaHa the doorstop is in..hmmm..I took a close look. Yeah a few scratches on both sides from the totally useless and ill-fitting metal lig. Absolutely too tight and not even close to fitting the top slot thing..oh well I didn't buy it for the Lig. Also a piece of plastic was jammed under the screw lig on the facing and some Gorilla tightened it. I honestly could barely back the screw off enough to remove the plastic piece. Now I see how the blemishes got there but I really don't care about that part. I'll find a proper lig.

Now for the important part, from a distance the table and tip look pristine, interior looks good too..and it ain't no stinkin' "Plays like a Link" $600 special. Naw she's the real deal..I have found it is a true link, the side rails are different thickness and a purist would go nuts. But I'll reserve my judgement until I play it. This poor orphan mpc might be a monster in disguise.

will it play ?? I don't know yet, that may take awhile.. .

Attachments

#32 ·
First impressions..yes I like very much, the 8* tip at .115 is plenty wide open and the Link delivers the nice dark and round signature tone. Seems to take the first few reeds I threw on it without complaint, I just need to dial a good strength and type. This is quite a stretch from my DG and Lakey but I think this Link will save me on my quiet gigs.

Oh yeah before my first honk while I was still contemplating and pondering what I'll do if it don't play, I decided to give it a little polish..I'll be damned the nasty scratches all but disappeared..then I found a good old Rovner that fits it very well. And well you know the rest.

..it's not a doorstop.

#35 ·
Steve your mouthpiece reviews are second to none. Your take on these different variations of modern Link "NY" "Vintage" etc vs plain Jane STM (like mine) would be priceless, but man who pays for this stuff ?? like I said my eyes spin you have so many incredible reviews..so many high end mpcs, maybe do all the cheapies too..anyway I'm lovin' this B stock orphan I bought, I'm not putting it down this is good stuff.

#34 ·
I am familiar with that phenomena, sometimes I think it's my horn..hell ya just don't know. You know the vast world of reeds these days, mind-boggling but I'll start with a Fibracell. I have a fresh 1.5 but it's for my Super King or Lakey and it's just too soft for the Link. Tried a clear BARI but not impressive. Next I got some 2.5 Canes but I'd like to mostly stick with synths.

#37 ·
Good to hear the Link itself is sounding good! Hope it continues to serve up to expectations.

And the lig, well, what can you say. They're a true hit or miss. Lig on my STM is ok. Lig on my NY STM sucks...

And, if iirc, the Selmer 404 is just an inexpensive two screw lig for alto sized HR mouthpieces... but don't take that to the bank till verified...

Chip! Chip! Tally ho and all that rot! Keep us apprised of the situation!

#38 ·
So far my tests are on my late Buescher 400 tenor, the Link seems a great match. It tunes easily with a huge voice..This is truly a great mpc. with a 2.5 Rico Royal it simply purrs..it is an altogether different concept from what I've been playing, but it's intoxicating, the lows are sublime, high palm notes are.. well different, I don't have to bear down with so much diaphragm in a softer setting.

So thankful I got a good one.. I feel already like my long ago lost Link has returned. Coincidentally my Super King will soon be returning from the shop with a brand new re-face, it had been "repaired" by me a couple of times because of some nasty tip nicks..when I sent it in to the shop it measured over .130 and the tech said he was surprised I could play the thing..well it served me well over 15 yrs and many miles so it deserved to be fixed..It has been restored to original .120 specs. I'll have it in a few days.. Should be a fun comparison.

#39 ·
The Selmer lig is for metal mouthpieces. Mine seems tight for my STM . It may have to be stretched for it to fit properly on my Link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.