Sax on the Web Forum banner

what neck type # on Yamaha YAS 875exii ?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  IBeOmega 
#1 ·
Looking at possibly upgrading to the Yamaha YAS 875exii, and looking at some Ads and comparing to the info on the Yamaha website, I have some questions :

1) What type Neck does the 875exii have ? The Yamaha website says the neck that comes with the 875exii is the "AV1".....but I've seen some Ads ( like on eBay) saying the Alto Sax for sale is a "875exii", bu the neck pictured with it is stamped showing it to be a G1.

2) The model number shown below the right thumbrest - will it show "875exii", or will it show only "875ex". How do you distinguish whether the sax is an 875ex or a 875exii ? Does the model number change based on the serial number ?

3) Am I correct in assuming there is a difference from the 875 to the 875ex to the latest 875exii ??

Thanks

LT

#2 ·
HikerLT: Here's my OPINION even though I am unfamiliar with the model you mentioned. Yamaha marketing and sales gurus will tell you that their upgrades (original model to "i" and then "ii", etc.) are meaningful, significant changes brought on by their engineers or they wouldn't have made them. That's what I was told by a store manager who dealt with Yamahas and by the Yamaha regional rep who happened to be in the store when I was testing their various models with a goal to buy one. These guys were totally into Yamaha-speak.

I also have owned Yamaha saxophones (still have a YSS62S - silver soprano, and once owned a YAS 82z). I've compared my owning/playing experiences with my store-testing experiences, and played a variety of alto models in trying to find one to buy.

I found no playing improvements among the so-called improved models I tested in stores. In fact, when I played their YSS82z models (as I recall, maybe three of the new Z-sopranos), I liked my old YSS62S model better. In trying alto Z's, I liked the one I owned (but traded away before looking to buy - again) the best.

In that store I mentioned above, with the Yamaha regional rep and the store manager, I was there seriously considering a new alto 82z Special Edition model (the one that is marked "One of 50" or something like that and with the dark honey-lacquer finish). I had played it once before and was back to re-evaluate it for purchase, after thinking about it. It was a gorgeous instrument.

They also had other Yamaha altos, including one of the new-and-improved "ii" models. I liked the older Special Edition model better, as a player. They were quick to point out several improvements on the "ii", but I wasn't able to feel or hear those differences. I ended up NOT buying one.

But keep in mind, each horn stands on its own and it is fairly common to find differences among each example of each model. That certainly was my experience when I was shopping Yamaha altos (I played several Z's before finding the one I ended up with - a trade with another SOTW member).

So one alto with the "ii" improvements may not play as well as an earlier-but-new model without the "ii" improvements . . . and vice-versa. Given my shopping experiences with Yamahas, I'd advise that you play-test anything before buying it. Same with Selmers. Unless, of course, you can afford the risk of buying without testing. The way the selling dealer prepares a new Selmer or Yamaha is probably more important than the model itself.

As far as the necks go, I have no experience with those. I've read about it, though, and believe it is probably an issue. But it amazes me that a company with the great reputation of Yamaha would bring a line to market with a neck that creates problems and thus creates the questions that we constantly see about their necks. Other site-members may have better comments than mine about the necks. DAVE

#3 ·
I have an EXII and it came with the Custom V1 (AV1). The model number stamped by the serial number is YAS-875EX. As far as distinguishing features go, I usually look at the keys: Flat rollers for C/Eb, front F shares a rod with the LH stack and RH ride keys are at an angle leaving the side Bb key much further from the body than the high E. The high D key is also repositioned significantly from the original EX but this may be difficult to notice without a side-by-side comparison.

I won't speak to tonal or playability differences, except to say that the ergonomics my favorite of any horn I've played, which includes the original 875 and original 875EX.

#4 ·
What are you playing on now?

#5 ·
OP, it is possible to distinguish the 875EXII from the 875EX by looking at the bell engraving. I learned to do this recently when I was considering one of these altos. I ended up identifying a horn on eBay for the seller, who didn't know exactly which model he had. Get authoritative photos of each ( e.g.., published by Yamaha) and study the engraving patterns, especially around the YAMAHA logo on the bell. You can almost always see this part of the sax in any decent set of photos.

#10 ·
OP may not need this anymore, but for future reference.
If it has a G1 neck, it is probably an older EX mk1. After the G1 was gone they came with the G3 - the G1 was discontinued some years before the EX mk2 came around. All EX mk2s (as of now anyway) ship with V1 necks, though some stores will let buyers swap when buying new, so they can end up with others.
Also what this guy said
OP, it is possible to distinguish the 875EXII from the 875EX by looking at the bell engraving. Get authoritative photos of each ( e.g.., published by Yamaha) and study the engraving patterns, especially around the YAMAHA logo on the bell. You can almost always see this part of the sax in any decent set of photos.
One other thing: provided they have the same neck, the EX-II and EX will sound and feel almost identical. No bore change, no mechanical changes AFAIK, still Yamaha's signature consistency. Same goes for tenors.

#7 ·
Today I was in my local store (mentioned above) picking up my Conn soprano for a neck-cork replacement. They had several altos on the wall, one being a new Yamaha YAS62. The sign listing the price said it was a "YAS62III" (at least I think it had "III" on the sign although it could have been "II"). I looked closely at the markings on the horn to see if the horn was marked as such, and all it had stamped on the back was "YAS62". I didn't bother to ask how one knew it was a "III". DAVE

#8 ·
The main difference is the neck, which is a 62 instead of a G1. But there's really not many changes between the 62 models.

#9 ·
Christian1: I agree that there probably are few if any differences among the upgrades Yamaha claims by issuing a series, then adding a "ii" or a "iii", etc. , even in the face of their claims otherwise. Oh, they will make a big deal about all of the upgrades, but the reality is that they are just saxophones (well-made, I'll certainly grant that) and the player isn't going to recognize many of the claimed changes that warrant an added "ii".

I guess my point in post #7 was to report that whether or not a certain Yamaha saxophone is an original model or an upgraded model (e.g., YAS 62 vs. YAS 62ii), the horn is not likely to have any markings showing that. The OP posed that question in his opening post.

Yes, he was asking about the 875 series, but if Yamaha is consistent (?), they probably wouldn't designate an upgraded 875ii with any markings on the horn. At least they sure didn't with a YAS62. DAVE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.