Sax on the Web Forum banner

Has anyone tried Kessler's flutes? How do they stack up vs. Yamaha?

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  datsaxman 
#1 ·
I was curious if anyone's tried Kessler's "Solist" flutes, and how they might stand up against a student Yamaha, which is what's typically recommended around here. Something that's got me leaning towards the Kessler as a beginner - aside from the their reputation around here and the price ($249) - is the fact that it comes set up, which one can't guarantee when buying a Yamaha from eBay. What would you all recommend? Is there a reputable flute dealer I'm not aware of that sells older Yamaha student flutes that are reliably set up and ready to play?

Thanks!

#3 ·
...it comes set up, which one can't guarantee when buying a Yamaha from eBay. ...
What on earth does "set up" mean? Almost every new flute sold is "set up". That may last minutes, weeks, months, or years, depending on how it was done.
To be done well takes time and expertise, which is unlikely for a new flute of that price. Indeed, for a cheap flute with low standard of manufacture, it may not even be possible without practically remaking the flute. On many new flutes, it really is not worth it - sending good money after bad.

On the other hand, for a second hand Yamaha there is a reasonable chance that it has been reasonably well serviced, and that relatively superficial original "set up" been improved upon.
Whether you buy a new or second-hand flute, it will very likely need better setting up sooner rather than later.

#4 ·
I guess when I said "set up" I meant that (a) it was put into excellent playing condition by someone in Kessler's shop upon arrival from wherever they're produced, and (b) would stay in said condition for at least a year or two. Sorry if I'm misusing terminology here, and I can see how "set up" could be obscure and/or a marketing gimmick. Perhaps I should have just said "in excellent mechanical and playing condition," which is a concern of mine when buying a Yamaha off eBay or some other cheap model from an SOTW member. I take your point about pre-owned flutes being better serviced than something new from the factory, and think I'll go that route if no one can speak to the quality of Kessler's. Thank you.

#8 ·
I'm interested in Kessler flutes too... especially the custom artist with C# trill.
Absent any direct experience with the particular instruments, call Kessler's and talk to Chuck and/or Dave. They won't hard sell you anything and answer any and all questions patiently in order to meet your requirements. If they anticipate their flute won't meet your needs, they'll steer you in an educated and experienced direction.

Good luck with your acquisition and come back to let us know how this plays out! Cheers!

#9 ·
Is there a reputable flute dealer I'm not aware of that sells older Yamaha student flutes that are reliably set up and ready to play?
Sherry Lee is good people and worth a call:

http://www.lflutes.com/

Absent any direct experience with the particular instruments, call Kessler's and talk to Chuck and/or Dave. They won't hard sell you anything and answer any and all questions patiently in order to meet your requirements. If they anticipate their flute won't meet your needs, they'll steer you in an educated and experienced direction.
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.