Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sugru - How hard is it to remove? Effects?

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
I've been reading wonderful things about Sugru for many year, and can appreciate that many enjoy its benefits on palm and pinkie keys.

I also observe a great many horns for sale that say "the Sugru is easily removed".

Is it easily removed?

Does it leave any blemishes on the surface where it was attached?

Curious,

George

#2 ·
those who've tried it say it comes right off.

How hard is this stuff to remove if you change your mind?
Very easy and it will not affect the lacquer finish. Check the Sugru website or Stephen Howard's site for more info about Sugru.
Guys, if you're going to add powders or color, that might might affect the lacquer finish underneath. The beauty of Sugru is the non-effect it has on the finish. Anyway, it really isn't visible to anyone except the player once the horn is in your hands. I've had to point it out to other players sitting next to me in the section.

#3 ·
Dr G, so far, it hasn't made any blemishes on any of my saxophones. I've also used it on flutes and clarinets. Sometimes you pull the Sugru off and there will be a little bit left on the horn. In that case, I just use some rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid to get off the remainder. Lacquer underneath has always been fine.

#4 ·
Sometimes you pull the Sugru off and there will be a little bit left on the horn.
That is what happened to me on the palm keys of my tenor and soprano - on the underside of the keys, where the brass is kind of unfinished or rough. The Sugru stuck to that area with a fierce loyalty. It peeled off with ease on the smoother surfaces of the keys.

In that case, I just use some rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid to get off the remainder. Lacquer underneath has always been fine.
Thanks for the tip!

#9 ·
I'd never seen Sugru before, but based on this and a few other threads I decided to take the plunge and buy some. I used it on my Conn Tranny alto. I put a riser on the high D key for starters. It looks a little clunky but I think I can sand it a little to improve the appearance, and I was able to customize the height and position so it's a big improvement over the cheapy rubber things. Even better, I used it to expand the size of the main key touches, and that has been great. I've always loved the sound of the horn and disliked the feel, and I thought it was mostly due to the light touch. It turns out it had more to do with the small size of the key touches. The horn feels so much more comfortable now. It's silver-plated so I used the white Sugru, and no, it's not beautiful but I don't care much.

I was surprised at the cost of Sugru. I bought an 8-pack of mixed black and white on Amazon and it was $20. I didn't realize how small the packets were. Is it available cheaper than that?

LOL, I guess Amazon is tracking me - I just checked and they reduced the price to $16. Somebody's still making a killing on the stuff at that price.

#12 ·
I was surprised at the cost of Sugru. I bought an 8-pack of mixed black and white on Amazon and it was $20....they reduced the price to $16. Somebody's still making a killing on the stuff at that price.
I have always used Apoxie for this purpose, and just the heat from a heat gun (which I use for floating pads) is enough to soften it and 'pop' it off. It is similarly expensive to buy a kit, but you get a lifetime supply.

#10 ·
You can cut out the middle man and buy it direct from the manufacturer in England for less.

Forget white or coloured Sugru — just use black: it looks best on both gold- and silver-coloured instruments. As soon as it's applied shape it by stroking it gently repeatedly with a wet finger or the flat of a knife blade which has been dipped in water. When you're happy with the look of it, leave it to cure overnight.

#11 ·
You can cut out the middle man and buy it direct from the manufacturer in England for less.

Forget white or coloured Sugru - just use black: it looks best on both gold- and silver-coloured instruments. As soon as it's applied shape it by stroking it gently repeatedly with a wet finger or the flat of a knife blade which has been dipped in water. When you're happy with the look of it, leave it to cure overnight.
In the U.S. it's even more expensive on the website - $22 for an 8-pack. And I like white on silver, but of course it's a matter of personal taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.