Sax on the Web Forum banner

Solid Silver B&S

5K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  BrianMitchellBrody 
#1 ·

#7 ·
I didn't know either because I am constantly learning new things about the brand. I was searching you tube and found the one i posted
the number of things I don't know...!

If you tell me I believe it, but I have never ever heard of one entirely made of solid silver.

#8 ·
I own a Solid Sterling Medusa Special Serial 001, that was customized for me, from the factory, right before they stopped production. There are a few other solid Sterling Medusas out there but I would say the number is under 10. There are also solid sterling 2001 models, but they are very few and far between. These are killer horns....

#9 ·
I am always searching for these horns and recently purchased the one shown in my avatar. The ST silver would be a stunning one to add.

These are some of the most under rated horns on the planet!

#10 ·
So Brian, you have an Earthtone?
Is it fully engraved like the Dave Guardala badged ones? I had a DG Earthtone which I foolishly sold. Absolutely one of the finest sounding horns EVER. Yes, I have LOOOOONG maintained here that the B&S 2001/Medusas were highly highly underrated.

#13 ·
You know I talked to these guys and they were a dealer of B&S back in the day when. They carried Accent and Guardala and CJS.

As far as a being a Medusa stencil that would have to be answered by someone who owns both. Perhaps Jerry K.?

#15 ·
Its a B&S stencil. Medusa is a model name. I have 4 B&S horns. I can see this has the G# lifter. I would probably do some investigation on the differences between the B&S 2001 models and the 1000 (intermediate models) to know what differences to look for. I know that the WWBW company used B&S to make the first Allora horns (pro horn/ top shelf ). So we know that B&S would label their top shelf horns at a lower cost in the Allora name. It stands to reason that they would label the top shelf horns with a different name to get a higher price. If you want to resell it then you will not win at this price. However for a super clean top shelf B&S horn its a decent deal. The question is if it is the top shelf model. I suspect it may be, but not 100% sure.

I have seen the Guardala horn labeled as intermediate before. I believe it to be a top shelf horn, but it didn't have the G# lifter mechanism.

#18 ·
Guardala is B&S. Mine are made in Germany.

Regarding the seller of the Accent here. You can't help some people that really don't know what they are talking about and won't take advice. Medusa is not the manufacture. Guardala, Medusa, 2001, Chicago Jazz(if made in Germany), Allora (If made in Germany) all made by B&S. There is no such thing as a Medusa stencil. Its a B&S stencil. I know that you know this Brian. This is not directed at you :)

#19 ·
True all of that but a lot of times it makes it better for us collectors.
Guardala is B&S. Mine are made in Germany.

Regarding the seller of the Accent here. You can't help some people that really don't know what they are talking about and won't take advice. Medusa is not the manufacture. Guardala, Medusa, 2001, Chicago Jazz(if made in Germany), Allora (If made in Germany) all made by B&S. There is no such thing as a Medusa stencil. Its a B&S stencil. I know that you know this Brian. This is not directed at you :)

#22 ·
I was probably the first person on this forum to really sing the praises of the B&S loudly. I know back when the DG horns were going at very cheap prices, a lot of people bought those and the various other B&S horns under different names mentioned here. The Medusa model was designed using CAD and they used a 5 digit MK VI tenor AND alto to take their design from. Funny thing happened on the alto...the CAD was so exact that the prototype alto ended up having a shallow dent in the bell because the horn they copied had one that no one spotted! Needless to say they re-did it.
In particular, the tenor is my favorite, however. They really made a great MK VI, but they fixed the intonation quirks and gave it modern keywork.

I truly believe these horns are highly underrated and indeed, undervalued. But, they are among the finest out there.

#26 ·
New message: Hi Brian! I completely understand,...

This from the seller.
eBay
New message from: tedbrownmusic Top Rated Seller(684Purple Star)
Hi Brian!

I completely understand, but unfortunately I'm not authorized by management to change the listing. Accent sold this to us as an intermediate sax, and so I was instructed to sell it online as it was received by the manufacturer. I will look into changing the listing further, but this is how it will need to remain for the time being. I appreciate your input, and if you or any of your fellow B&S enthusiasts are interested in this Saxophone please let me know!

Best regards,
Amber with Ted Brown Music
Your previous message

Hello. We spoke last week about this horn.

After much brisk discussion about this horn on saxontheweb.net amongst the B&S enthusiasts we have come to the conclusion that you are selling yourself and the horn short by listing this as an intermediate level horn.

My 2 cents.

Brian

Accent (B&S Stencil) TS951L Tenor Saxophone - Intermediate - Used
Accent (B&S Stencil) TS951L Tenor
Price: $2,000.00

#27 ·
Canadian, Not a rumor...it is true. Those "Guardalas' were kaka.

#35 ·
Lambros, they did put clear lacquer over their solid silver horns unless otherwise requested. When I had them make my horn, I told them to NOT put clear lacquer on mine, and they didn't. I can't say with any surity about the plated horns, but logic would dictate that they probably did lacquer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.