Sax on the Web Forum banner

My Legere Experiece

22K views 171 replies 58 participants last post by  saxsearay 
#1 ·
I just played my first solo gig on the Legere Signature 2.5 reed and I have some thoughts. First, I have only tried one other brand of synthetic reed in modern times and that was the Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon. In fairness to Hartmann, I don't think that I ever found the right strength but the ones that I have are too soft or too hard and difficult for me to control, especially in the upper register and when subtoning.

I got the Legere about a week or so ago and I've been playing it on my Black Widow 8 and I can't really point out any difficulties in response or intonation. I really didn't expect the reed to play as comfortably as it does, so that was a pleasant surprise. The first practice session with it left me all smiles. There's no warm up time for the reed so it plays great as soon as I put on the mouthpiece. I have a "wooden reed" mentality so I was a little bit skeptical about its ability to perform well consistently. Thankfully, I was wrong. Second session, still great.

I normally play Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong on the BW and I like them a lot, but, as reeds go they're subject to not respond well when the weather/humidity changes. Here in California the dry air wreaks havoc with my reeds at the worst times. Those days are over. No squeaks, chirps or dead sounds any more.

The BW mouthpiece responds great, anyway so I'm ahead of the mouthpiece battle and that part is out of the equation. The sound is more similar to good cane than I've ever experienced with a synthetic. I tried Bari reeds a hundred or so years ago and they were very bright. The Hartmanns, while not bad sounding, are brighter than the Legere.

Maybe this will help someone in their decision to try the Legere. They are expensive at $30 a pop but I've heard that they last a long time. I can just about say with certainty that I'm done with cane.

Edited to add: my little 5-song mini concert went fabulously.

See less See more
#120 ·
OK I broke down and ordered a Legere- should come in the mail any day. I feel like I did when I first learned of ice coffee and thought, "how can that be good??" But I am a Kansas girl...

#121 ·
I guess I should give an update, considering what I said in my previous posts. I've gone back to cane (Rigotti Gold), but still keep a Legere in the case, just in case... While the Legere plays great, it seems to have a more limited tonal range (for lack of a better term) than the cane reeds. But I'm still glad I tried Legere and have a couple on hand. Probably on an outdoor gig on a hot, dry day, I could use it.

#127 ·
While the Legere plays great, it seems to have a more limited tonal range (for lack of a better term) than the cane reeds.
This is exactly my experience in going back and forth both in practice sessions and on gigs for the past few years.

I find the main advantage to Legeres is the consistent, predictable response. The disadvantage is limited tonal flexibility, for me.

#122 ·
the legere signature reed that I had been using sounded and plays wonderfully however I practice a lot, at first it would last as long as I would but then as time went on the reed would start to fail ( see my previous posts ) now I am back to using cane how ever I just ordered a couple fibracell premiere's to try I will buy another Legere signature here in the near future and I will use to play at band practice once a week or whatever other then the practice room, I guess now I being in the practice room hard is on the reed as I do practice pretty hard and my thought is that is why the reed last as long as I would have liked, but on the other hand maybe it did? as 1-3 hours a day 6-7 days a week is a lot of time on that reed and cane certainly would not last that long, I really do like the Legere signature but the expense on the other hand? that is why I will try the Fibracell reeds to see how they compare, in the meantime I will stick to cane for the practice room,

#126 ·
has anyone noticed any slight cracking at the tips of their Legere sigs? I'm using 2 1/2 and noticing on both of my reeds, small cracks (which doesn't affect playing quality) at the tip when you hold it to the light. also, one of the reeds the crack is on the edges of the tip, which feels like its broken - both reeds are about a month old.

#128 ·
Dam, This is exactly my experience too!....…….when I first got my 66r I decided to play légère site exclusively but, after using them for two years of brutal practice and gigging I noticed that almost every one of them had cracks and we're worn out after a month! ........Obviously. I went back to cane!

#130 ·
My teacher told me he doesn't like synthetic reeds. I kept trying to get reeds that would give a smooth enough response and not be too bright for the tone he was working on getting for me. I found Hemke reeds were pretty close, but they were sometimes not ideal depending on the reed. I finally put my Legere Signature on for one lesson before he was in the room, and he commented how much he liked my tone, that it wasn't so brittle and the response was good. It was the Legere! I like the 2.5 very much on alto. If I wanted a brighter tone for some situation, I'd switch back to cane. I'm not as convinced on soprano yet. I have a 2.5 but might have liked 2.25 better. For soprano, if not using Legere, I'd be on medium La Voz reeds. One thing I do use Legere for always is a situation when I'm switching back and forth from alto to soprano or tenor or flute, and need a reed to be instantly ready. Also, they are great during a week when I just want some good practice in and just don't want to mess with adjusting reeds.

#131 ·
I play outside a lot and love the legere signature 2.5 on my stm. It did develop cracks at the tip right after I started using it but it still plays well. I love the consistently great tone and unlike some here, I haven't really had difficulty in the high register. Altissimo is a little more of a challenge but not much. Conversely, I've found the legeres to be much more responsive in the lower register than cane.

I was just beating my head against the wall with cane reeds. Finding good ones, dealing with inconsistencies, warping, lack of uniformity in strength, playing one brand of reed that works well for awhile then something changes and the reeds suck....see jazz select. So tired of it.

A great cane reed probably trumps any synthetic but for consistency and far, far less hassle...I love legere's on tenor.

#134 ·
I wish they would calibrate their strengths to reality (for cane users). I have a Legere Signature 2.75 that I can't reasonabye play though I like the pluses of it!.
Its like a 3.5 as far as I can tell. just way off from what any reasonable cane 2.5- 3.0 would feel like. ( Swap anyone? [incl for other *good* synths?])

#137 ·
Cane reeds are not calibrated amongst themselves, so expecting that of Legere is probably not fair. The strength chart they provide as a Rosetta Stone is a fair compromise IMHO.

I've been using Legere Sigs for 6+ years and have not experienced the cracks in the tip mentioned here. I typically get about 6 months on average rotating between 3 reeds. I've had a few that lasted much longer.
The tell-tale signs for me is the change in tone from the reed. The tone gets thinner, brighter as if the reed has gotten softer. It's gradual but there's a point for me when it's just not acceptable and I discard it.

As for the cracking tips, I wonder if that could be due to differences in saliva. Something like more acidic saliva causing erosion to the material. I guess that would be more a question for Legere. One would think they have tested the durability of their synthetic reed materials over the typical range of human saliva. To include the effects of alcohol, tobacco, food and such.

#135 ·
I've just noticed a similar "crack" on the tip of my #2 Sig tenor. I only played like 4 gigs on it. I don't care for how it looks either..But the news above is good, hopefully I get some more life out of it. I wish these damn synths weren't so costly I'd buy more..

Like I said in previous posts I will sometimes play Fibracells, and there's some other synths like Forestone I need to try. I got an old clear plastic BARI brand Med strength reed that I've sanded, and so far is the best sound yet on my Sakshama custom G alto mpc...so ya never know what going to work.

That cracked 2.0 legere Sig tenor reed is going on my Vigilante for the show today.

#136 ·
I've just noticed a similar "crack" on the tip of my #2 Sig tenor.
......That cracked 2.0 legere Sig tenor reed is going on my Vigilante for the show today.
Good Luck CS ! Hope it survives the gig. I'm not a risk taker as you- It would make me feel like driving a car with a cracked windshield! :).The cracked 2.0 tenor sig I have still works, but is now designated for practicing. I hate throwing away a damaged $30 reed thats only been gently used. I will be ordering some Fibracells to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

#138 ·
hey, come on!.......there iare obviously posters covering for legere! as i mentioned in another post, everyone of the SIGS that i bought developed premature cracks and were worn out after a month! honestly, if the price were just a bit more than cane i wouldnt have a complaint, i would chalk it up as a win just with consistancy but, no, these dam reeds are more than a whole box of 5 tenor reeds! since, i cant speak for other horn players, i dont have that kind of money to waste on a product that i cant rely on........voila!
i am still waiting for someone to come up with a synthetic reed that is consistent really last long and doesn't sound like PLASTIC!.......i am considering using the old BARI STAR reeds on some situations since i know they will actually last!

#140 ·
hey, come on!.......there iare obviously posters covering for legere! as i mentioned in another post, everyone of the SIGS that i bought developed premature cracks and were worn out after a month!
People's experiences differ. No one is "covering" for anyone. I would guess that I've been using various types of Legere reeds for much longer than most people here, and my crack rate has been extremely low. However, I acknowledge that it's possible, which is a concern for such an expensive reed.

i am still waiting for someone to come up with a synthetic reed that is consistent really last long and doesn't sound like PLASTIC!.......i am considering using the old BARI STAR reeds on some situations since i know they will actually last!
But if you don't like reeds that sound like plastic, why would you resort to the most plasticky-sounding of all synthetic reeds?

#139 ·
I occasionally play some BARI's too..they do seem almost indestructible. All these damn synths have their probs it seems. They need a better reed at a BETTER cost. Yesterday I played outdoors no-breaks from 9AM-noon here in Vegas. Was 46 degrees when we started..

My Legere Sig on my Vigilante that sounded so juicy and responded so flawlessly at home now felt muddy like I was underwater. Luckily it's a morning soft brunch thing, so I play mostly flute. Even that is tough to keep warm enough to stay in tune in temps like that.

Anyway I got through the gig, but I'm starting to think Temperature can affect a plastic or resin type reed big time.

#142 ·
Mr Legere I think it's very cool for you to talk to the players directly..What do think about my temperature theory. On my weekend outdoor gig I've been been blaming the cold for making my horns a bit flat but the reed response issues seem possibly legit. I wonder is it the cold..? Have you guys done extreme temps testing..?? ..gets 110 degrees too here in Vegas..interesting. If the cold weather holds I can try a real cane next week and see if I get a different result.

#145 ·
It often is the weather that can make all instruments go a little pitchy, not just the reed, but it's a combination of all of the parts. Not only does the horn shrink a bit in cold weather, but the air molecules also get a bit closer together and move differently when the temperature is lower. String players can tune up to compensate, but horn players need to do other things to adjust to the change in temperature, as the vibrating column of air inside the horn is what determines the pitch.

As far as I know, Legere reeds shouldn't change tuning in different temperatures, as the polypropylene is largely unchanged by temperature. But I'll look into this, maybe we have some data...

Haha, I'm not Mr. Legere, I'm afraid. But I do like talking to players! I am one too, in Toronto, Canada.

#143 ·
Split Legeres? Hmm... I haven't had any problems with the tips splitting on Legere's. Which makes me happy since I've invested hundreds of dollars in them.

I generally have 4 in my reed holder, 2 with plenty of miles on them and two that are broken in but fresh. I rotate two until they die. I throw out the old ones, rotate the broken-in reeds in and buy two new ones. This system has been working for me for years.

#146 ·
Seems to me the response part is worse than the tuning. I know enough to deal with cold brass, I tune a bit sharp.. but I have noticed a response change when I get to the gig from warming up in my 72 degree studio. The temp thing hadn't occurred to me until this past Sundays' gig.

Also one thing I noticed is that I've had more issues on my metal Boss than on my Hard Rubber Black Widow. The metal holds the cold longer I think. I've had to switch back to the HR mpc a couple of times in the last few weeks when the Boss that sounded so good at home immediately felt stuffy on the gig.

I know a Legere can be softened with a dip in hot water, so could be below a certain temp they lose some flexibility..

#148 ·
Any good reliable suggestions for getting a too stiff Signature 2.75, down a step equivalent? (Its like a 3.5 -.75 to me)

I could sand or shave of course, but seems less forgiving, more intimidating than with cane (which Im fine with doing so on). Their website discourages any adjustment/says.,,, sharp blade perpendicular to the reed, toward the tip only. Hmmm

anyone with success with that? any specific suggestions?

Did someone mention warm water, or other "alternative" approach? (I assume the warm water is only temporary)..

I don't have a receipt or I would exchange it... : (

#150 ·
Any good reliable suggestions for getting a too stiff Signature 2.75, down a step equivalent? . . . Did someone mention warm water, or other "alternative" approach? (I assume the warm water is only temporary)... (
I've read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that placing them in boiling water softens them - but I don't remember if the poster said this softens them permanently. I also remember somebody saying they had put theirs in a microwave for a few seconds - but I don't recall if the specifics regarding temperature setting had been stated.

I would likely begin with hot water (as in hot from the tap) - for a few seconds. If that doesn't do much, I'd soak it for a minute or two in the same temperature. If that doesn't work, then I'd try almost boiling water - again for a few seconds at first, then increasing the time gradually.

#149 ·
I just got one (2 1/2 alto)- so glad it works because I didn't want to be out $30!

#154 ·
Give it a really good shot is wat I also did.
A year ago I tried a Légère (3 ¼) and it was way too hard and dull sounding. Couldn’t make it work.
I mainly play Fibracell because of its relative good consistency, although that’s diminishing somewhat nowadays.
But after reading this thread and acquiring some insights regarding read strength, I ordered a Légère studio cut “2” because I like some edge.
After 5 minutes or so I was disappointed because it felt hard and sounded dull.
Then I made sure the tip aligned better with the mouthpiece and after some extra minutes is started to soften and as it did, it started to develop the edge I was looking for.
In fact, I must admit, it started to play better than my Fibracells. Better response, booming lows, popping altissimo (really very stable too) and a fantastic sound. I was really amazed.
The only thing I’m concerned about is its longevity. I’m also afraid that it will suddenly die on me. A Fibracell I’m using for a while can suddenly respond truly great before it drops dead.
This Légère responds and plays so well, that I’m starting to think “this is too good to be true”.
I only tested it for 45 minutes. But if it keeps playing well, I will certainly order a few more.

#156 ·
It turns out I need something a little beefier on my Tone Edge 7*, so for now, I'm back on my Fibracells. The Studio cut Legeres might give me just as good, or better response, in a higher strength, but that will have to be determined when I need to buy, again.

#158 ·
Thanks for this post.
I was using the Legere studio 2.25 for a while about 15 years ago. I play a lot of R&B, Soul, blues, etc..
I used them for a couple of years and I liked the fact that they are consistent.

Then after switching mouthpieces, started to look for different reed combinations.
After reading your post I'm incline to order another to give it another try.
Thanks for your review!

#159 ·
I was curious about the Studio Cut so I just ordered one. I play a 2.5 Signature so I looked at the strength chart and I ordered a 2.75 Studio. I'll play it for a couple of days and post the results.
Edited to add:
I've read a lot of the posts in this thread and I have some personal experience to pass along. I've been playing the same Signature 2.5 for 6 months now and it's still playing fine. I can overblow it but that's the only negative that I've encountered. A half-strength up might solve that issue.
I've recorded with it and played live and I still really like it. Here in California it can be really dry and that's not an issue any longer.
I just ordered the Studio and I should have gotten another Signature, as well. Think I will.

#160 ·
Alright, I just finished my second day trying the Legere Studio reed on tenor. It is much brighter than the Signature but I think that I probably have a reed that's too soft. I play a 2.5 Sig and I ordered a 2.75 Studio. According to the chart the 2.75 Studio should have been very slightly stronger than the 2.5 Sig. It didn't appear to be as strong. I found myself struggling to play in tune - it was reminiscent of trying to play the Fiberreeds that I have and those were very taxing on my embouchure. I could probably play it but I would have to play with a different embouchure and inflection...ain't gonna happen. I was worn out after a few minutes.
I could subtone the bell tones easily but when I tried to start with any kind of volume down low it just wouldn't honk for me unless I blew REALLY hard. I'm going to try a bit stronger reed if I can swap this one. I know that Legere has an exchange program but I haven't researched it, yet. The Signature that I have played so well that I didn't need to think about changing strengths.
I played it on my every day piece, the Black Widow 8, and I also tried it on my Guardala Super King. When I switched back to the Signature it felt like I was driving a Ferrari after having been in a Yugo with no shocks. The Signature plays SO smoothly.
I'm not done, yet. I'm going to swap this one and try a harder strength.

#162 ·
Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I like the tonal qualities of the Studio so it'll be worth my while to dig a little deeper rather than to throw it in a drawer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.