Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anything better than a Conn 10M tenor for Blues?

13K views 108 replies 51 participants last post by  Roger Nordling 
#1 ·
Please advise. I'm looking for a second Tenor now and the argument started last night at my cousins house. One says his Yamaha is better, the other says it's not and his friend says they all not so good but Conn is and another says Borgani and in and on...

#56 ·
The Martin tenor. Its ergonomically as good as a modern horn and will eat 3 Mk6s at once. You want a powerful full volume and thats an inexpensive way to go. (2K maybe) the P Mauraet is also a good fat tone horn. I did a jam session years ago with my The Martin. It was 3 Mk 6s eating the mic and me 4 ft away. Guess who gt heard in the crowd? if they can't hear you it doesn't matter what your tone is like. Just my experience from 35 years of playing with guitars and p A s. K

#58 ·
Well, revisiting the original query, 10M's are great for the blues. They're also great if you like:

1) Searching endlessly for modern styled mouthpieces that won't play unmanageably sharp on your horn,
2) Clunky keyword, that although is workable, won't remind you of gliding up and down on your VI,
3) Replacing neck receivers that wear with regular use and become hopelessly out of round; and finally,
4) Warbling on a nice soft low D.

#59 ·
Well, revisiting the original query, 10M's are great for the blues. They're also great if you like:

1) Searching endlessly for modern styled mouthpieces that won't play unmanageably sharp on your horn,
2) Clunky keywork, that although is workable, won't remind you of gliding up and down on your VI,
3) Replacing neck receivers that wear with regular use and become hopelessly out of round; and finally,
4) Warbling on a nice soft low D.
:(

I would add:

5) Unmodified, it can lead to carpal tunnel or lost teeth.

Turtle

#63 ·
The low D warble! I love my Conn's tone but I hate the low D warble. If the low D didn't warble I think my Conn would be my favorite horn. It is such a shame because it is so easy to get lost in that big, lush, dark tone. I'm testing out a Chu now to see if I can get a similar experience to my 10m without the warble.

#68 ·
Senor you know the Blues is a feeling not a Saxophone..but since you asked, I have played 10Ms over the yrs quite a bit. They are great when in good condition. So are KINGs BUESCHERS KEILWERTH and so many others..I see sweet 10M examples have become quite pricey. But if you don't want to mortgage the farm one these late 400's will blow your doors off. The action on the CONN is slicker but the sound on the Buescher is pretty amazing. Blues horn plus..!!

Personally I love the contrast in tone to my MKVI tenor. How's the 5 digit coming along ??

Attachments

#76 ·
I drop a cork in my VI tenor..this old trick really fattens those bottom notes, yrs ago a savvy tech showed me the difference with and without, He glued it in where it remained for over 30 yrs..During my latest resto it was removed (being a bit nasty)..I now simply drop a fat cork (I have 3 sizes middle works best) down the bell when I'm ready to blow. Now I never tried that trick on a 10M, but my CONN's didn't warble either..Amigo the Blues is best from your soul not your Horn. Check this out.. my sound tech knew the difference in my VI and my TH&C..when would I blow the Buescher he would immediately remark I was playing my "Black" horn.

#85 ·
This thread is way out of control, but to add insult to injury, and FWIW - it's all in the player.
I used to own Conn Ms, alto (6m) and tenor (10M), and they are excellent, but my present set-up is unrivaled in Blues playing; Keilwerth SX90R and Berg SMS mouthpiece.

#89 ·
I don't know about blues, but the best rock 'n' roll tenors I've played were ironically classical music oriented - an SML Rev. D and a Buescher New Aristocrat. I thought both of those horns were very expressive and easy to overblow into another gear.

However, the Yamaha Custom EX was terrible for Rock 'n' Roll.

#96 ·
I don't know about blues, but the best rock 'n' roll tenors I've played were ironically classical music oriented - an SML Rev. D and a Buescher New Aristocrat. I thought both of those horns were very expressive and easy to overblow into another gear.
+1. And actually those horns are not 'classical music oriented' (that was just marketing hype, also applied to the MKVI). The reason classical players like the Bueschers is because they play well in tune.

Anyway, in terms of playing in any genre, I agree with those who say it's how you play, not the brand of horn you're playing. I do think the mpc can make a difference in terms of playing in certain genres, but not the horn.

#98 ·
I had a Chu Berry Conn years ago and it was the best tenor tone I've ever had. But the keyword was a mess on my hands so I sold. I also bought a student a Bundy 1 beat up tenor and the damn thing had a better tone than my Mk6 but go figure. For ease of playing, expressiveness and ergonomics I'd buy a The martin any
day of the week. The only thing it doesn't have is that selmer vibe you hear on so many recordings. but think of it this way. If you buy a new pair of shoes will you run faster? , memorize changes better, improve your time or theory ? No thats all work you need to do on any horn. Lastly if you can place the tone in your throat with the air pressure then you can get any tone you want. its just easier or harder depending on what yo play but you can get it. The same feel as an overtone on the fourth partial and then the real note. If you can get the throat feel then you'll get the sound. So overtones, long tones, paying attention to embouchure. Or just get a good teacher and learn faster and save money on stuff you don't need? good luck We all are looking for our sound/voice K

#103 ·
I'm not going to read six pages, which must have gotten redundant, at best, but to me there is only one answer. It all depends on your tone and style. Period. No specific horn considered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.