Sax on the Web Forum banner

The missing Link or I hope it's not a doorstop..

11K views 114 replies 17 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
I just ordered a standard Link gold STM 8* for my tenor..have not played one in decades..still have a DG and Lakey but I wanted to try the dark thing again.

#82 ·
Well I've "finessed" a lig or 2 in my day, IMHO The 404 on a new vintage is a big no-no. I realize sometimes a lig won't fit perfectly but that pic proves the point. Only last week I bought a new Rico H lig for a Metalite Bari mpc and at first look wow, horrible fit.. but after the massage and a lot of back and forth tightening it fits like it should.

Anyway I got through the gig yesterday using my Rover Lig. The Fibracell I bought wasn't great on the mpc, but with the right reed I think the Link will be a keeper. The Mpc performed as expected..Dark..!! But I think for me a softer reed will be the ticket, even at .115 the 2.5 is a bit resistant for me, I confess I really don't love the Rovner either. I have an FL but that won't happen. The orig is an option, and thanks to a Forum pal I have an orig NVTM lig on the way..hell who knows it might even work..!!

#83 ·
I have been messing with reeds and I'll need to invest in a few more. I did shave a real 2.5 cane that plays really fine on the Link, just super easy blowing and a velvet tone.. but I'd still prefer a synthetic to avoid Vegas desert dryness. The search for the perfect sound goes on.

The thread is coming to a good close. The Link is no doorstop and I learned a lot..Thanks Forum

#85 ·
I don't like synthetic reeds on my Links. Normally play La Voz medium, but I have also played some Pasticovers 2 on my 10* Florida for a while. They are not as bright as real synthetics in my experience. For you a 2.5 Pasticover could maybe work well on your 8* NV TM.

#86 ·
I will keep you guys posted, I do prefer a synth if possible, the only ones I've played on my Link are the Fibracell 1.5 (too soft) and 2.5 (too hard). Obviously I need a #2. I did try my BARI clear plastic soft reed, but it was too resistant for the 8*... it did not play at all. I may start a thread to see who plays synths on Links.....Might be fun. Lot's of options out there...The NV TM will be back in action this Sun for my soft volume restaurant brunch gig, if I haven't scored a #2 Fibra by then I'll be using that fine piece of cane I shaved.

#88 · (Edited)
Great info Warp, but also please tell us what model of Link do you play ? what tip size, also what size and type Legere ?? Lig choice ???...

I know this is helpful information with a short post like yours..

I've previously tried Legere Standard and Classic on both my DG and Lakey tenor and alto mpcs, but I had no luck making them sound good, I tossed them..

That said I know reeds can work different, maybe Legeres like a deep chamber piece like a Link. Most of my pieces are higher baffled. Now I'm curious what size tenor Legere is comparable to a #2 Fibracell?

#89 ·
Great info Warp, but also please tell us what model of Link do you play ? what tip size, also what size and type Legere ?? Lig choice ???...
Sorry, should have mentioned it. Early 80's Link 6 STM with 3 or 3.5 Legere, either Signature or regular. I use the Link lig which works fine for me. The setup gives me great control, flexibility and plenty of power. I use the Link next to a FL Spectruoso and a Caravan.

#90 · (Edited)
I've ordered a Legere Signature #2, for my new old modern vintage tonemaster.. The cat they got hyping the Legeres sounds great on his, also copped a Fibra #2 to compare. I'll have them in a few days.Like I said, I recall my last Legeres were the Studio for tenor and the Classic for alto..(or was it the other way around ?) anyway I did not like either. Hoping the Signature is a different animal.

Thanks to a kind forum member I now have a Orig NV TM Lig to try, it fits like it should, I'll play it live this weekend.

Attachments

#91 ·
My gig last night was a noisy Bar affair, I played my recently resto'd Guardala Super King, the thing is a beast, it delivered above and beyond..

So back at home after the show (with the edgy DG sound still filling my head) I cranked on the Jazz Music TV and thought I'd relax by blowing a few bars on my Link and to try out the new Lig.

I threw a 2.5 Fibra on it with the correct lig.. WOW instant response and total different vibe, open free and HUGE sound, way more than I got playing the Rover set-up..it is a freakin' fat toned monster. No more Rovner for me...

I guess I was still thinking DG, so after 10 min of marveling at the incredible subtones and overall smooth sound of this mpc just for fun I dialed up the edge in my attack, lo and behold this thing popped the easiest clearest G3 I ever played, but it went no higher..not a mpc for Lenny licks..

So it won't replace my beloved old Super King for those rowdy loud-*** jobs, but I am thankful to have discovered the Link again for those quieter times when I want that gorgeous and classic Tonemaster tone.

I gotta say if this "new vintage" Mpc is indeed designed to the true original vintage Link tenor mpc specs then I can understand why the real ones command such high prices, I had some fear with all the talk of the modern Links being crap but maybe I just got lucky :mrgreen:

#92 ·
Sounding good Cash. I only find that Rovner ligs dampen the sound a lot compared to a good working original Link ligature.

I guess I was still thinking DG, so after 10 min of marveling at the incredible subtones and overall smooth sound of this mpc just for fun I dialed up the edge in my attack, lo and behold this thing popped the easiest clearest G3 I ever played, but it went no higher..not a mpc for Lenny licks..
If the G3 pops out well the rest should be possible too, but remember that a lower baffle piece requires another way to blow your top tones (it requires another support and air stream direction compared to higher baffle pieces). With a good reed you should be able to come up real high.

I remember I did a loud big band gig years ago and didn't have a good cane reed for my Florida 10*, so I used a vintage Tone Master 8 (refaced from 5, much lower baffle than the Florida) with a Fibracell medium (they didn't have numbers in the past if I remember well) and the old TM screamed up all the way a full octave above high E.

#93 ·
My 7* NY STM plays altissimo notes even easier than a few of my high baffle mouthpieces.

#96 ·
+1 - While I'm not a high baffle mpc user by far, my 7 NY STM plays altissimo easier than my 6* STM.

My Sun brunch show was fun, I played a lot more tenor than usual due to the much more mic friendly Link, My #2's haven't showed up yet so I went with the 2,5 fiber deal. Sounds great with the link lig but still a bit hard. My palm notes still were more resistant than I like. But overall fantastic tone for the quiet sound. But now I'm curious about maybe trying a NY model in a smaller tip too. Hell will GAS never end..been a long time since I played anything with a smaller tip.

For yrs now I'd like to try Getz's tribute clone thing but at a #6 I need a #5 reed
It's not just a GAS attack, it's that infernal QUEST for the Holy Grail of saxophonic aural satisfaction!

That is assuming a state of contentment is even possible!

#94 ·
This is good info to know, although obviously I did buy my Link for mellower musical pursuits, even though I am a high baffle player for the most part. Honestly I must confess my alt chops are not anything to write home about, but I have developed my own style of using the altiss top tones effectively..but that pesky G was always the worst, (as it is for a lot of us).

Anyway that G just popping smooth like that was interesting to me..but to respond to Honeyboys comment, I'm thinking the NV Tonemaster in 8* is quite a bit different animal than a 7* NY model..from what i've read being a NY model it's inherently edgier than a NV, also your tip is smaller, likely leading to easier alt.

Here's the deal my mpc stopped on a dime after that beautiful G. I've never felt that sensation in any mpc before..I mean it stopped like hitting a velvety brick wall. Simply no more sound.

Oh well maybe my Legere reeds will do it if I decide to screech out Body & Soul..ya just never know.

#95 ·
My Sun brunch show was fun, I played a lot more tenor than usual due to the much more mic friendly Link, My #2's haven't showed up yet so I went with the 2,5 fiber deal. Sounds great with the link lig but still a bit hard. My palm notes still were more resistant than I like. But overall fantastic tone for the quiet sound. But now I'm curious about maybe trying a NY model in a smaller tip too. Hell will GAS never end..been a long time since I played anything with a smaller tip.

For yrs now I'd like to try Getz's tribute clone thing but at a #6 I need a #5 reed

btw during the show I had a LINK flashback too. unconsciously my hand remembered (from long ago) how I had learned to shift and tune the mpc without disturbing the lig..was a strange muscle memory, all of sudden oh yeah, felt like an old friend again..very cool.

#102 · (Edited)
Cash, good to hear the new Legere reed seems to work fine on your NV TM 8*.

My #2's haven't showed up yet so I went with the 2,5 fiber deal. Sounds great with the link lig but still a bit hard. My palm notes still were more resistant than I like. But overall fantastic tone for the quiet sound. But now I'm curious about maybe trying a NY model in a smaller tip too.
From what I understand the NV (new vintage) TM (tonemaster) has a larger overall diameter than the standard STM or the NY STM. Looks like you can stretch a 404 to fit a NY..
Our discussion here inspired me to do a quick and dirty mouthpiece compare take between three of my Otto Links: a vintage 1950's Florida no USA 10*, a modern STM NY 11 and a modern NV TM 10*. I played them with a darker sounding soft reed (a Rico Royal 2) on my 1953 Selmer SBA tenor. The reed was a bit dark for the already dark sounding NV TM, but with a faster air stream it still worked well (also tried to play some altissimo). Just improvised a bit on a 'Blues in Bb' (called the improvised theme 'Blues For Cash' :bluewink:).

Here is a link to the thread with the compare sound clip, in case you are interested to hear the sound differences:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...Vintage-Tone-Master-10*&p=2822673#post2822673

The NV TM 10* plays very well and has a huge and deep low bottom end, but it projects less and has less complexity in the sound compared to the old Florida. The STM NY sounds a bit in between both pieces.

Also played the New Vintage Tone Master 10* solo in two takes of a 'Blues in Gm' (one take more rough, the other a bit more relaxed):
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...eral-brands)&p=2822601&viewfull=1#post2822601

By the way, I tried my STM NY 11 ligature on the NV TM 10* and it was only a tiny bit too small (less than I expected). I didn't put the reed on because I didn't want to force it, both standard Link ligatures work fine on the pieces they belong too.

#97 ·
That 404 ligature will fit fine. The one pictured has not been fitted correctly. You need to put the reed on, slide the lig over it as far as it will go without forcing it and then tighten down the screw. Then loosen the screw and slide the lig down a little more and re-tighten. Eventually the lig will stretch enough to fit over the reed. The same has to be done to the other screw. You'll get a good fit once done.

#98 ·
From what I understand the NV (new vintage) TM (tonemaster) has a larger overall diameter than the standard STM or the NY STM. Looks like you can stretch a 404 to fit a NY..

But, I would not use a 404 on a New Vintage Link. It is a terrible fit.. I may be picking up a standard STM or NY STM Link myself, so my 404 might not go to waste in the future.

The shipping on my new reeds is like molasses..I still haven't had a really proper reed on my new Link:evil::evil:

#100 ·
I'm encouraged from what I read about the Leger Signature series. Sure hope it's better than the other Legeres I bought, anyway I got 4 diff tenor mpcs, so it'll probably work on one of them. I spent $26 to try it out, so fingers crossed

The #2 Fibra is a possibility on the Link too, if not at least I know it will play fine on my DG or Lakey..

#103 ·
Great stuff mrpeebee, quite a difference in the mpcs. From your great examples I can tell the NV TM Link has the darkest tone of the bunch, although my setup sounds to me a bit brighter than your NV TM 10* example. Well it don't really matter, I didn't get my Link for edge and projection.

Also I am back to A/B ing my Rovner lig with the Legere Sig. It is an easier lig to deal with I must admit.

Curious Mr PB have you tried a Signature on your Links ?

#105 ·
Curious Mr PB have you tried a Signature on your Links ?
My tenor big band mate once had one (I think a 2.75) that I tried in the break of our rehearsal, but I found it a bit dead and too bright. Probably should have stayed a bit longer with it and/or try a different hardness (softer), but I didn't/don't feel the urge to try it further at this moment.

#104 ·
The job last nite was a private anniversary party, not a loud setting so I took the Rovner to try with the Legere..not a good choice. The Rover was just plain bad for me. I struggled to find the sweet spot, the more I tried the worse it got. I got thru the gig OK as I play Flute and Alto as well.

But today on my Brunch gig I finally put the package together, I returned to the orig Link Lig w/Legere..Oh yeah, this works really well. I started to actually relax and put some air into the Link, it's going to be a long term love affair I think.

Man what a smooth and juicy tone.

#110 · (Edited)
I am really digging the Link vibe on the gig. So much better for a quieter venue. My NV 8* is proving to be a good investment so far.

But I seem to be gravitating toward smaller tip ranges lately. I've been thinking about a modern HR NV Slant. I'd probably try a 7* At .105 it would be on the small side for me..

I started at 13 yrs old on a C*.. I played that C* 9 yrs inc 5yrs in the Navy Band. After I got out of the service came the Hippie Rock days I needed louder and I got my first metal, a Berg .110..then a Level-Air..After that I did buy a 7* STM but didn't play it a whole lot and it left with a stolen horn.

#111 ·
But I seem to be gravitating toward smaller tip ranges lately. I've been thinking about a modern HR NV Slant. I'd probably try a 7* At .105 it would be on the small side for me..
It probably won't surprise you, but I've also have a HR NVS Tone Edge 7* in my collection! :faceinpalm:

The one I have is a well playing piece, it has a decent baffle and sounds a lot brighter than the normal darker Tone Edges with almost no baffle. I also I find them a bit brighter than metal STM's.

Check these links in case you would like to hear how it sounds when played by me:

01. 'Honky Tonk' (New Vintage Slant Tone Edge 7* - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13230666

02. - 'Blues in G - Basically Blues' - (Florida no USA 10* - New Vintage Slant Tone Edge 7* - modern STM 7*):
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...odern-STM-7*&p=2540320&viewfull=1#post2540320

#112 ·
I've pretty much settled in on my new vintage 8*, the dark classic sound is really satisfying..FWIW that 7* NVSTE is fairly bright to my ears. I don't need no more bright, my HR 9* Lakey walks the line between bright and dark really well. Although to be honest it won't out dark my Link or out bright my Super King, anyway my GAS has to quit somewhere..But that's my current 3 tenor set-ups, they play better than I do. So for now I'll stuff my curiosity for yet another mpc and concentrate on what I have, which is plenty.

#113 ·
I've pretty much settled in my new vintage 8*, the dark classic sound is really satisfying..FWIW that 7* NVSTE is fairly bright to my ears. I don't need no more bright, my HR 9* Lakey walks the line between bright and dark really well. Although to be honest it won't out dark my Link or out bright my Super King, anyway my GAS has to quit somewhere..But that's my current 3 tenor set-ups, they play better than I do. So for now I'll stuff my curiosity for yet another mpc and concentrate on what I have, which is plenty.
Sounding good and with those three pieces you have all you need Cash :).

Also wise to quit or to slow done the 'never ending search', otherwise you might consider to change your user-name here on SOTW to GAShSax! :bluewink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.