Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Kanee Studio - next generation

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dlrsax 
#1 ·
Was in the shop last Thursday and saw three of these sitting on the shelf. I asked the shop keeper about them, he said they were new and he didn't know anything about them. In fact, they are so new they aren't on the company website yet.

Rectangle Composite material Auto part Tints and shades Electric blue
Bumper Automotive exterior Material property Gadget Composite material
Wood Hardwood Flooring Tool Wood stain
Musical instrument Jewellery Fashion accessory Metal Wood

Taking a closer look, this turns out to be a new version of the Studio model, with some pretty significant changes. The original Studio was supposedly patterned on the Theo Wanne Kali. The shop has the older Studios and a metal Kali, so to satisfy my curiosity I gave them all a play test. The Kali was a 7 that had been opened up to .085 by Liu Shizhou; I didn't like it all. The original Studio was quite dark; surprising considering the shape of the baffle. I guess the big chamber warms it up. But this new one ...

The store had a 6, 7, and 8 - I played the 7 and the 8, the 8 came home with me. I wasn't looking for another alto piece, but this had something that just grabbed me. So far I've played it with Rigotti Gold Jazz and Vandoren Green Javas, it works fine with both. I didn't measure the tip, but Kanee sizings pretty much follow Meyer, so this should be about an .086; compared to a Vandoren A45 Jumbo it has a similar tip and a slightly longer facing. I won't say this a "free-blowing" piece, there's just a touch of resistance, which I like. It plays evenly from the bell notes, through the horn and up into upper altissimo; I like how the upper palm and altissimo notes don't thin out. This is a bright piece, but it is a balanced brightness. The fundamental and upper harmonics balance in a way to give a special "richness" to the sound.

Aesthetically, this is a nicely made product. I'm glad the decorative engraving has been limited to the shank and doesn't cover the whole surface like it does on their metal pieces. It looks like Kanee has changed the rubber compound again, this one has a slightly different texture. These pieces are CNC produced, and on the ones I saw the work was well executed. There's a nice little indentation on the beak which perfectly fits a BG cushion. Mine came with a BG inspired ligature, which is nothing to write home about, but it holds the reed on. No cap for some reason.

I don't know what the availability of these pieces is outside of China, but if you get the chance to try one, take it. I think you'll favorably impressed.

And the kicker - only about $67 US.

See less See more
#2 ·
Huh. The Kanee mouthpieces pop up a lot but I have no idea about the company or their background. Thanks!

#3 ·
Kanees have been around for a while now. They've been through several generations at this point. The owner/designer is a sax professor at Chongqing University. He used to participate here, but hasn't posted in about 5 years.

I'm not sure who is distributing them in the US now; you can see the lineup on their website http://www.kaneemusic.com

James Carter was in Shanghai a couple of weeks back and picked up one of their Song tenor pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.