Sax on the Web Forum banner

Leblanc Model 120 tenor sax that belonged to the late Corky Corcoran

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  RogerD 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I have a hypothetical for you.

There are very few of these Leblanc Model 120 tenors around to begin with, but would you pay more if the horn belonged to big-bands man Corky Corcoran, and was engraved with his name? How about if you could buy the horn directly from a member of his immediate family?

We know that some horns that belonged to some famous players have sold for money than horns of the same make model that didn't belong to famous players. (The most obvious example is probably Charlie Parker's Grafton.)

I'm doing some research for the family right now, and would really appreciate your input. I of course have my own theories, but am keeping them to myself. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·

There are very few of these Leblanc Model 120 tenors around to begin with, but would you pay more if the horn belonged to big-bands man Corky Corcoran, and was engraved with his name? How about if you could buy the horn directly from a member of his immediate family?
I would pay less for a horn with someone else's name engraved, unless it had some collector value like there was some actual provenance it belonged to a legend such as Charlie Parker or Coltrane. Corky Corcoran may have been a phenomenal player, but sadly not such a legend.

Even so, for any added value, there also needs to be incontrovertible written documentation as provenance, although I imagine a letter from the family along with the engraving might do the trick. Obviously if I buy it from the family I might be 99.99% sure it's genuine, but when I sell it on that is a different matter, so I would say the horn may be worth the market value of a Leblanc 120, although maybe less if people object to aftermarket engraving.

#3 ·
I would pay less for a horn with someone else's name engraved, unless it had some collector value like there was some actual provenance it belonged to a legend such as Charlie Parker or Coltrane. Corky Corcoran may have been a phenomenal player, but sadly not such a legend.

Even so, for any added value, there also needs to be incontrovertible written documentation as provenance, although I imagine a letter from the family along with the engraving might do the trick. Obviously if I buy it from the family I might be 99.99% sure it's genuine, but when I sell it on that is a different matter.
This seems about right to me. I'd expect to sell it for whatever Model 120s are going for, but no more or less because of the name. The only reason that the Grafton went for crazy money was because it's one of two horns that can be proven to be owned by Charlie Parker.

#4 ·
I agree with the above.
When I got my Leblanc, I did read all I could about these horns. IIRC the one Mr Corcoran played had a silver (plated?) bell. I did post a few clips of his playing on the forum but can't remember which thread. Keep us posted on the research, please.

#5 ·
Brian at GetaSax has had the late Al Epstein's gold-plated Conn 30M for sale at a very good price for some months now. It's in top condition, but is not moving probably because of Al's name being engraved on it in HUGE lettering. I'm tempted though…

Light Amber Wood Lighting Gold

#6 ·
Brian at GetaSax has had the late Al Epstein's gold-plated Conn 30M for sale at a very good price for some months now. It's in top condition, but is not moving probably because of Al's name being engraved on it in HUGE lettering. I'm tempted though…

View attachment 121090
That's sad, I would love that horn without the name on. Not very nice engraving either.

#7 ·

We know that some horns that belonged to some famous players have sold for money than horns of the same make model that didn't belong to famous players. (The most obvious example is probably Charlie Parker's Grafton.)

I'm doing some research for the family right now, and would really appreciate your input. I of course have my own theories, but am keeping them to myself. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think any vintage instrument in good shape with Provenance of a reasonably famous person, is worth more than the same model without.

#8 ·
Thank you guys for your straight-forward, and honest answers. I appreciate it.

That name engraving looking less than--compared to the rest of the horn's engraving--seems to be a common problem among these types of celebrity-owned horns. Behold, the bell engraving on the Leblanc 120 tenor I am referring to...

Musical instrument Drinkware Brass instrument Wind instrument Fluid

#14 ·
#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.