Sax on the Web Forum banner

TaiShan Winds 7000 Model Tenors, nothing bad to say, personally.

15K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  Jerry K. 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently purchased 2 TaiShan 7000 model tenor saxes to dive into the world of playing. At first I was hesitant after hearing mixed reviews, but both of them came in and I am 100 percent satisfied. Intonation is spot on with no play in the keywork (on the gold lacquer one so far, haven't touched the black nickel model yet), soldering is fantastic, tone holes are smooth as can be with no burrs and not one defect in the manufacturing or finish whatsoever. I used the flashlight app on my cell phone to check for leaks in my pitch black closet and no leaks were detected on either saxophone. These are the top of the line models from them and I could not be any more pleased.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I purchased them from top_eseller on ebay, and he wanted $785 for the black nickel 7000 and $695 for the gold 7000. I talked him down to $725 and $600, so all in all I'm more than satisfied. As for the octave key (and many other features) I didn't mind it being different. you have a, AFAIK, different style nickel thumb rest rather than the plastic circular one, the clasp has it's own styling, and even the keys in the lower register have different shapes than what is traditional. It makes me wonder if not only TaiShan as a company, but even China is catching on to the saxophone world.

#6 ·
Wow- so were you confident enough that you would like a Chinese horn with mixed reviews bought off ebay that you had never played before to buy two of them just to have a back up or are you skeptical of the reliability of such an instrument and figured you'd better have two of them since it's likely one will always be in the shop for repair?

#7 ·
Not really too worried about a tech as anything mechanical can be learned and mastered with trial and error and relentless research on google, forums and youtube. I'd like to eventually strip both of them down and do a repad in a few years anyways and go through, clean and oil maybe even re-blue the springs if need be. I'm not into tech work on saxes, I'm a gunsmith in my spare time, so maybe I can translate my skills into personal repair on this TaiShan because after all it is just a ****** Chinese sax, right?

#10 ·
I just got a tenor and a soprano. I am very happy with both. I hucked the mouthpiece that came with them both. The tenor I am using a Otto link and I love playing it. The soprano I am using a van s15. Working out great. A friend that is doing his master's in music (sax) came over and compared the soprano to his selmer series 2 and liked the TaiShan better. Said it had a better sound and was easier to play. As for the tenor, he compared it to a $6000 sax. Very easy to play and has a really nice husky sound. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I got them both in the red antique. May get a matching bari one day ?

#12 ·
I have to agree with the mouthpiece. The gold lacquer 7000 came with a plastic while the black nickel came with a supposedly 'German hard rubber' one. Although I do like it tbh. I use a Rico M7 and M9 metalite mainly on either one and it makes so much difference and really wakes it up. Speaking of college, I've been toying with the idea of both my wife and I going for an associates in music part time, as she played the French horn and piano all of her life as well as singing in various competitions in New York. I played the guitar for 14 years before picking up the Alto and Tenor. I think we both could benefit from the education personally, not just for instrumental side of things but the knowledge from music theory as we both are self-taught but can read music somewhat.

#11 ·
The Taishan webstore in China has some interesting promos going on now. If you buy this TSTS-7000 tenor you get a free (entry-level) flute. Buy a higher end alto and get a free acoustic guitar.
They've also got a couple of bundles, the top end alto + a mid grade soprano, and the top end tenor + the top nickel soprano.
All purchases include a free ukulele and a music stand.
And white gloves ...

#13 ·
What?! I had no idea dlrsax! Although ebay sellers are probably subcontractors of TaiShan in their own right, dunno. Just imagine playing that flute wearing the gloves. I have matching mickey mouse hats from my honeymoon at Disney I could throw on for good measure.

#18 ·
Huh. There's a Taishan 7000 on eBay right now cheap. Looks like a cross between a Stephanhouser and a Goodson tenor. The roller octave is interesting...

#20 ·
US $325 buy it now. It is an interesting horn. Although a certain forum member has a lovely overhauled Holton 577 Collegiate tenor for a tad less that's much more my fancy and I know what I'll be getting with it. Even if it doesn't have all the fancy rollers and extra palm keys. Too bad the wife saw me looking at it and said no. Sigh.

#26 ·
Apparently the OP sold his horns as I bought the black one from a third party. I bought it mostly out of curiosity as I have been interested in the value of Taishan. The horn seems well made. I like the roller octave key. I found nothing wrong with it so far. The Chinese have finally improved their engraving. It is not crude and includes fine detail. However still not up to the quality of the Taiwan horns. The blow was much the same as my experience with Taiwan horns.
What is of note on Taishan is that they use what I call the high arch neck. It is similar to the Selmer SA80 series I neck. It does not have the upward curve. I have commented on this years ago on the other tenor I owned that was a 670 model. I have lots of saxophones and other necks to try on it. The stock neck is engraved and looks nice, except for the strange brace and some resistance. I did not check with a tuner on these neck subs. I tried a Barone neck. It was some improvement in the free blowing aspect. A TK Melody neck has a significant upward bend and it really opened up the horn. Also a Selmer ref 36 neck worked very well. These are all about 27.5mm.

Verdict is that it is hard to beat these for the money. I much prefer a neck sub on it, but the stock neck works OK. I had a vintage Kohlert sitting out. I played it right after playing the Taishan with the stock neck. The Kohlert smoked it tone wise. The vintage tone will beat out most of these Asian made horns IMO. Taishan beat it in ergos as expected.

#31 ·
I know this is 2 years later, but I just bought a Taishan 7000 and it arrived yesterday. I really would have liked to get Keilworth or Selmer but right now I this is the best I can do. I was surprised on how warm it sounds. I have a yanigasawa 991S which has a very rich tone and I really have to say that the Cheap Chinese horn is a lot better than I thought it would be. I will have to see how the mechanics holds up over time. I was very skeptical and now I am thinking of getting an alto from them also(thought I would never say that).

#32 ·
My interest is officially peaked. Has anyone returned an instrument to top_eseller? If so, how much and how did you do it? It sounds like this tenor would be fine more me, but what if it isn't and I have to send it back? Will it cost me $100 to try out a sax I don't like? Interesting how quickly the prices have gone up in a year or so. Seems they are up to $700-800.

#33 ·
If you only play them once in a while they're OK. If you play professionally like I do, these horns are a waste of money. Mine fell apart within a year and I was taking it to the shop to get it adjusted just about weekly for a while. All my repair techs said the same thing, these horns are the manufactured homes of the saxophone industry. They look beautiful, sound good, but are made so cheaply and poorly that they fall apart and can't be fixed for any reasonable amount of money. The metal is too soft, for one thing. But the chinese in general do not feel any ownership over their work, which I suspect is due to living under a government that does not really allow private ownership of anything.

#36 ·
What specifically fell apart? After flipping the black horn the OP bought, I picked up a damaged one on Reverb. It had some dents, but you can't tell now. I can say that the metal is not soft. This one with my Barone neck plays very well. I did find that the pad were good quality but put in with some sort of contact cement. Thats the worst thing I found other than the funny shaped neck it came with.

#35 ·
Eastern Music is a broker that sells on ebay and gets saxophones form various manufactures. Are they worth every bit for their $700 for a tenor. Think about that?? If the mark up is 100% then how much did it cost to manufacture these horns? Not much that is for sure.

I was impressed with how far these horns had come but they are absolute throw away horns although the sopranos are the better of the lot, that includes the curved and straight.

#37 ·
Editing to add the quote from Sax Bum:
"If you only play them once in a while they're OK. If you play professionally like I do, these horns are a waste of money. Mine fell apart within a year and I was taking it to the shop to get it adjusted just about weekly for a while. All my repair techs said the same thing, these horns are the manufactured homes of the saxophone industry. They look beautiful, sound good, but are made so cheaply and poorly that they fall apart and can't be fixed for any reasonable amount of money. The metal is too soft, for one thing. But the chinese in general do not feel any ownership over their work, which I suspect is due to living under a government that does not really allow private ownership of anything."

And you had a recently made (last 5 years) Taishan?

#39 · (Edited)
Editing to add quote from BrianMitchellBrody:
"Eastern Music is a broker that sells on ebay and gets saxophones form various manufactures. Are they worth every bit for their $700 for a tenor. Think about that?? If the mark up is 100% then how much did it cost to manufacture these horns? Not much that is for sure.

I was impressed with how far these horns had come but they are absolute throw away horns although the sopranos are the better of the lot, that includes the curved and straight."

Eastern Music doesn't have much on their eBay store. Well, at least their tenor horns finishes are really not aligned with my taste and I can't imagine spending $5 on them (to each their own right?).

I'm primarily a clarinet (2 Buffets) and alto sax (Selmer Seles Axos) player. I just ordered a bass clarinet (the Kessler!). I figure at some point I'll add a tenor sax. So I definitely do not need a top of the line horn at this point, and I won't be playing it much (I've got plenty to keep me busy). I'm just watching the prices rise on these Chinese horns and Taiwanese ones are already all the way up there. Wondering if this is a point to jump in or not. I don't have the time (or energy) to search for a used one that will need regular work. So many folks seem quite happy with their Chinese purchase but we all have different experiences and expectations...

I bought a $60 Glory flute on AMZN a bunch of years ago. It plays well and sounds surprisingly good. I don't play it much so it hasn't broken. At that price I'd just buy a new one (I don't think it's repairable, it's quite soft). That said, $60 is a lot less than $750. I'd want the $750 horn to be repairable.

Maybe I should just wait and let the urge pass... sigh.

#40 ·
Eastern Music doesn't have much on their eBay store. Well, at least their tenor horns finishes are really not aligned with my taste and I can't imagine spending $5 on them (to each their own right?).

I'm primarily a clarinet (2 Buffets) and alto sax (Selmer Seles Axos) player. I just ordered a bass clarinet (the Kessler!). I figure at some point I'll add a tenor sax. So I definitely do not need a top of the line horn at this point, and I won't be playing it much (I've got plenty to keep me busy). I'm just watching the prices rise on these Chinese horns and Taiwanese ones are already all the way up there. Wondering if this is a point to jump in or not. I don't have the time (or energy) to search for a used one that will need regular work. So many folks seem quite happy with their Chinese purchase but we all have different experiences and expectations...

I bought a $60 Glory flute on AMZN a bunch of years ago. It plays well and sounds surprisingly good. I don't play it much so it hasn't broken. At that price I'd just buy a new one (I don't think it's repairable, it's quite soft). That said, $60 is a lot less than $750. I'd want the $750 horn to be repairable.

Maybe I should just wait and let the urge pass... sigh.
In a moment of weakness, I bought a Glory Tenor Saxophone on Amazon. In my mind, the worst-case scenario was that I had just spent $251.88 on something that would become wall art in my office. I had carefully read each of the reviews on Amazon and also dug up an older posting on this forum that ranked in a 7/10 when compared to the other "cheap" saxophones offered on Amazon. It arrived a week ago, and I played it for the first time in Community Band last Tuesday evening. I'm using it today in our Spring Concert.

When I took it out of the case for the first time, the left-hand cluster of keys was bent forward, but I was able to rectify that easily enough. I tossed the mouthpiece, ligature, and reeds that were provided and replaced them with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, a Yamaha ligature, and a Vandoren 3.5 reed. I was surprised when it actually played from low Bb to high F# fairly easily. From what I can tell, it plays mostly in tune. Now, it's rather 'tinny' compared to my mainstay Yamaha YBS-52, and the lacquer is thin and unevenly applied in some spots which results in a cloudy appearance. It plays, though, and from ten feet away, it looks like a decent instrument.

I only play Tenor Saxophone for a collective 5 minutes out of a one-hour performance, at best. We're short one player right now, and I cover the Tenor Saxophone parts as-needed. It's entirely for recreation and not professional purposes by any means. From my perspective, the Glory plays just as easily as the Bundy I was borrowing from another member. I don't see it surviving the long-term test of time with regular, daily use; however, for the couple of minutes I use it once a week, it's OK. And, I can deal with that.

I did try a TaiShan Baritone Saxophone last year before buying a brand-new Yamaha, and I was disappointed with it. The craftsmanship was poor, at best, and it was a bear to keep consistently in tune. It was a beautiful instrument in a rose gold finish, but it wasn't for me. I set it aside and passed it along to someone who just wanted a Baritone Saxophone to play with after fighting with it through three rehearsals. Perhaps it was just a dud -- it seems some people have also received dud Glory Tenor Saxophones from Amazon. I never considered a TaiShan Tenor Saxophone following that experience. Had it not been for the price tag, my hesitation on the Glory would still be preventing me from purchasing it, too.

I don't know if this has helped you any, chriskol, but if you're just wanting a Tenor Saxophone to play with, consider the Glory. Like your Flute, it may just do the trick -- short-term and in a complete hobbyist manner of speaking!

#41 ·
So I did end up buying a Taishan tenor early last summer. I've played it a number of months. Here's my assessment...

Physically, it's really pretty (antique red). Beautiful lacquer job. Feel solid. Case is light but sturdy and has decent storage. The horn blows easily. Not too hard to play in tune (note I just started playing tenor when I received it - I normally play clarinet & alto sax). Plays very easy with the mouthpiece and reed they provided, so it's great for a beginner. Took me awhile to find a set up *I* was happy with. Probably not my final setup, but perfectly respectable on all fronts (i.e. not worth spending loads of time and money at this time for that extra little improvement). I played it for a month non stop to (a) learn tenor, and (b) figure out how I want to sound on it. I've performed with it a couple times since I got it.
Conclusion: Definitely glad I got it. I can confidently say I can cover a tenor part and have fun with it. It sounds like a tenor, and it sounds just fine. If it were my primary instrument (Buffet clarinet) or secondary instrument (Selmer alto), I probably would not have chosen this horn. I'd want something with more warmth and resonance... I think... hard to put the sound characteristic I feel it's missing, and that my alto has, into words. I would have tried a load of different horns and picked "the one". However, unlikely I'd get that special horn for less than $1000 in a quick eBay bid with no trip to a repair shop. So this works for me right now!

#45 ·
Pardon me if this subject has already been posted, but I'd like to know your opinions of the Taishan horn from mainland China. I know, you're probably saying to yourself, "Is he serious?" Let me tell you about my 7000 Tenor. It is built like a tank. It has beautiful intonation and is fun to play. I got it for $400. It sells new for around $1,000 - 1,200. It is very similar in sound to my Martin Committee III. It's Octave key is ripped off from the Martin III except there's a roller between the Octave key and the thumb rest.
It's only drawback is that its HEAVY. I suspect that's because of what Tim from Sax Alley told me. Chinese horns from the mainland are known for using lead in their production.
If you have a Taishan do you notice the same thing? Is it much heavier than your other horns? How is the sound? Thanks!

#46 ·
Pardon me if this subject has already been posted, but I'd like to know your opinions of the Taishan horn from mainland China. I know, you're probably saying to yourself, "Is he serious?" Let me tell you about my 7000 Tenor. It is built like a tank. It has beautiful intonation and is fun to play. I got it for $400. It sells new for around $1,000 - 1,200. It is very similar in sound to my Martin Committee III. It's Octave key is ripped off from the Martin III except there's a roller between the Octave key and the thumb rest.
It's only drawback is that its HEAVY. I suspect that's because of what Tim from Sax Alley told me. Chinese horns from the mainland are known for using lead in their production.
If you have a Taishan do you notice the same thing? Is it much heavier than your other horns? How is the sound? Thanks!
Calling BS on this claim once more. I cannot believe that he said that, and if he did, his credibility just crashed too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.