Sax on the Web Forum banner

S-80 C* too restrictive for me

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  hgrail 
#1 ·
The stock until that came with my horn was rubbish. I went right for a solid classic mouthpiece, the Selmer S80 C*. Not having too much of an idea of what exactly I was looking for, I just went with this to try it out. I've been playing it for several months and it is really restrictive.

My playing is with a church orchestra, and I need a warm, full sound with little projection. I also need solid low end response as well.

The S80 C* works great, but on longer pieces, especially anything about middle C (C5), it is insanely restrictive. I play and play and play, then my body demands me to take a breath. I first have to exhale half my air, then I can take a full inhale. I lose a lot of time doing this and it has become quite annoying.

My question is what would be better, an S80 C** or D?

I'd also be open to something that may be a suitable substitute in a cheaper price range.

I really do love the sound of the S80, but if I can cut the cost in half, I'd sacrifice a bit of that sound for added air flow. I also have a Jody Jazz 6M, but that projects like crazy. It is also rather impossible to pull of quiet (as quiet as I need) notes on the low end of the horn.

Current setup:
Bundy II Alto
S80 C*
Legere Signature 2.25 reed
Rovner MkIII Ligature

Any suggestions? I appreciate your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
The S80 C* works great, but on longer pieces, especially anything about middle C (C5), it is insanely restrictive.
Among classical mouthpieces (which probably are the most appropriate type for the kind of playing you are doing), the S80 C* is actually pretty bright and free-blowing. I certainly would not describe it as "insanely restrictive." The fact that you are experiencing a problem on "longer pieces" suggests to me that the issue may be one of breath support and stamina rather than mouthpiece inadequacy. Try doing a lot of long tones or similar exercises to address that.

Still, everyone is different, and it may be that a more open mouthpiece would be better for you. No one here can tell you whether a C** or D tip opening would be more suitable. I suggest ordering one of each from the Woodwind and Brasswind, and maybe another piece of a different design, and comparing them directly. You can obtain a refund for the mouthpieces you don't want if you send them back in perfect condition. The WW&BW has no formal mouthpiece trial program any longer, so this is the best you can do with them. Of course, if a local music shop has different mouthpieces available for you to try, just go there.

You also might try a softer reed, although a Signature 2.25 isn't particularly hard, and going too soft might hurt your tone quality. Still, since a softer reed generally makes blowing easier, a 2.0 or so might give you what you want.

#3 ·
Have your horn checked for leaks.

#5 ·
Well, I don't think I would recommend the AL3 to someone looking for what the OP calls "added air flow." The AL3 is not a particularly resistant mouthpiece, and I found it easy enough to play, but its very small tip opening (much less than that of a C*) means that it simply won't take much air. The OP appears to be interested in moving up in tip opening size, not down.

#6 ·
...the S80 C* works great, but on longer pieces, especially anything about middle C (C5), it is insanely restrictive. I play and play and play, then my body demands me to take a breath. I first have to exhale half my air, then I can take a full inhale. I lose a lot of time doing this and it has become quite annoying.
So basically you are accomplishing what you want to with lung capacity to spare. This may not be an equipment issue. If you are used to a crummy stock piece and switch to a decent one, you may not be used to its efficiency.

#13 ·
A Legere 2.75 is equivalent to a Hemke 3.5. You might check a strength equivalency chart before stepping up if you're sticking with Legeres. I've never been a big fan of synthetics for classical playing, but I know that a lot of people like them.

#14 ·
But he said he uses the Signature Series, in which case a 2.75 Legere would be about a 2.5 Hemke. It is strange how Legere doesn't try to line up its models more.

#15 ·
On a sequence of cheaper to more costly, I first would try a softer Legere, since that's what you are already using. If not that, the above suggestion to use a comparison chart. And then maybe a Hemke 3 or 2.2, or a Vandoren blue box 2.0. Aside from that, I'd check out a Rousseau NC3 (or 4).

I have to mention this, that from the wording of your OP, I wonder if the real culprit isn't something more fundamental.

#17 ·
I always used Vandoren 2.0 or 2.5's in the past. My playing in church forced my hand to Legere reeds because I don't have to worry about keeping it moist.

I had a Singature series 3.0 reed handy and threw that on my C*. That is EXACTLY my problem. I went to the 2.25 a while back because I needed something that played easily, something I could play a bit quieter. The second I put the 3.0 on, I realized two things:

1. Playing that 2.25 exclusively made my embouchure weaker, so the 3.0 is really difficult
2. the soft reed on the C* was the culprit

I appreciate everyone's help in contributing to my finding the problem. It was a total setup problem. Thank you everyone!

#19 ·
I agree with the insanely restrictive comment - but I also play the larger horns often and am used to moving lots of air.

The S-80 is a great mpc in the more open facings also. I play a S-80 F facing on Sop and Bari and an E facing on Alto (that's just how it worked out).

Order a few from WWBW and don't scratch them (so you can return them). Try a D, E and perhaps an F facing. I find I get great response - can play softly and also get plenty of volume when I need it. They also sound great since they retain the nice woody sound the C* has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.