Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Saxophone CDs

310K views 553 replies 90 participants last post by  Andy659 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been noticing many new saxophone CD releases lately, and have not heard much about them. Anyone heard or have anything to say about the following recordings?

Rascher Saxophone Quartet "From Equinox to Solstice"

Debra Richtmeyer "Extravaganza"

Claude Delangle "Historic Saxophone"

Clifford Leaman (Leslie Bassett Concerto)

Apollo Saxophone Quartet "Words and Pictures"

OANegrin

#154 ·
J.M. Londeix Box Set

I just picked this up at the NASA Region 5 Convention and raced home in the snow and sleet to make sure I got this posted before Angel scooped me. ;)

Four CD set, Jean-Marie Londeix: Portrait - Private Recordings Volumes 1-4 on the MDG Archive label.

To save some typing, I'm posting a scan of the track listing.

Only thing I can't yet figure out is whether all of this is previously unreleased. Some of the stuff definitely overlaps released material, but I haven't figured out yet whether they are actually the same recordings.

View attachment 905

#163 ·
Angel said:
Just purchased mine from The Saxophone Shop in Skokie, IL.

http://www.saxshop.com.

$25 plus $6 shipping.

Eagerly awaiting delivery.

Angel
Just got off the phone with Saxophone Shop. They gave me a price of $45--I mentioned that you had gotten it for $25 ("The boss told me...") because yours has a crack in the case! Just found it a bit funny.
Jim

#164 ·
I don't know nuthin bout no crack!

Onward, anyway, I just received the Calefax Reed Quintet's new CD of Bach's Goldberg Variations. These guys are awesome. Clarinet, bass clarinet, saxophone (Raaf Hekkema of Paganini saxo fame or infamy), oboe, english horn.

My favorite in their discography is their earlier CD of Debussy and Ravel stuff including a stunning performance of Tombeau de Couperin. In my opinion, this has been Hekkema's most exciting and tasteful playing, and the ensemble work is beyond top-notch. Major-competition-winning ensembles for the most part have nothing on these guys.

Angel

#169 ·
New release on the Preiser label:

"Paris - New York 1930"
Klaus Gesing, saxophone
Sylvaine Ilario, piano

Gershwin Preludes
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
Ravel Piano Concerto 2nd mvmt
Debussy Beau Soir
Debussy Clair de Lune
Milhaud Scaramouche II, III
Seifert Meditation
Seifert Rumba

Angel

#171 ·
I do not have this one. I noticed it while doing a quick browse at arkivmusic.com. It says he's only playing saxo on the website, butcha never know.

Angel

#172 ·
Thought I'd put my bit in for a new Australian release.
Barry Cockcroft has put out a new Cd titled "Crazy Logic" with works by composers from Australia, New Zealand and the U.S. The tracks are as follows

Crazy Logic - Matthew Orlovich
Heaven - Perry Goldstein
Time Transfixed - Maria Grenfell
Not too near....not too far - Brenton Broadstock
Murphy's Law - Philip Norman
Digressioni Modali - Andrián Pertout
Three Places for a New Millenium - Stuart Greenbaum

For sound samples go to
http://www.reedmusic.com/publications/cds/crazy_logic.html

#175 ·
Steve P said:
Timothy McAllister-
Glint
Timothy McAllister, Soprano and Alto Saxophone
Robert Spring, clarinet;
Lucia Unrau, piano

Works by: Kristin Kuster, Roshanne Etezady, Peter Terry, Kati Agocs, Caleb Burhans, Gregory Wanamaker, and Daniel Asia

Steve P
What???? Wow!! Thanks, Steve P, I guess Tim didn't get to me on this announcement. Is it all saxo?

Angel

#176 ·
wfhoehn said:
Brian Sacawa's "American Voices" is now available through Innova.

http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=296
Good work, Walter. I'm getting my copy on 4/25 at Brian's recial in Baltimore, MD, but this is good news for those who cannot attend. For those of you who have never heard Brian, catch this rising star. One of the best living saxophonists.

Angel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.