Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions Q4 2008

59K views 169 replies 164 participants last post by  Dogsbody 
#1 ·
Hey SOTW!

New member here... Played alto and bari all through middle, high school and college, and then life got into the way, and I stopped playing. Recently a new mom to an awesome little girl.

Just had a birthday and my husband bought me a new Tenor saxophone. I haven't played much tenor (played 1 year in jazz band when needed). Its nothing great, but it plays! Looking forward to getting my chops back. I haven't played in about 6 years, and today I got my new horn. I remembered how to play! And I didn't sound too bad!

Love the forum, and very happy to see a place where great sax players can share great information!

ChefGirl

#28 ·
Hello, I play drums at church. I found this forum when searching for information about piccolos. My daughter plays flute for highschool marching band. She wants a piccolo and a guitar. I am not sure what brand piccolo to buy. I need help because I know nothing about these instruments. I hope and pray someone out there can help.
Thanks

#34 ·
Hi,

I'm happy to have found SOTW, and have already gained a lot of new knowledge in the brief time since joining. Here's my brief history. I started out in the early 60's playing clarinet, then moved to alto sax around '64 or '65. I played alto throughout middle school and high school, participating in marching, stage, and jazz bands. After HS graduation, my father bought me a tenor. I had intended on playing tenor in the marching band in college, but they wanted an alto player, so I ended up playing alto in marching, pep, and jazzband in college. After college I had a nearly 20 year lapse due to career demands, but got my horns out of storage and started playing again in 1996. These days, I play a Selmer MkVI tenor and favor blues, jazz, funk, and zappa music. I'm a rank amateur, but love playing and listening to all types of music.

Cheers,

Jazzwombat aka Bob

#35 ·
Hi Everybody!

According to my profile, I've been a member since Nov. of 07. So, it's been since then that I've been sitting in thew shadows and just taking everything in. I guess it's time to post and introduce myself.

I played through HS and into college. I discovered that I liked music better as a hobby as opposed to trying to make a career out of it. I tucked my horns away for a few years. About two years ago I started practicing again and playing with a little frequency. Now, I'm thinking of actually looking for venues to play - amature, community based stuff, open mic nights, that sort of thing.

Anyways, I'll probably continue to just read and hang out in a quiet way. But if I do speak up, you'll now have a little knowledge of who I am.

Peace,

#36 ·
Hey,

My introduction and background is a bit long winded, forgive me.

I have been a musician all of my life. Both of my parents hold higher education degrees in music education and performance, so I was fortunate to have quality intense training from a very early age. I started piano, saxophone, flute and voice in elementary school, and picked up the clarinet in high school. Now, my main instrument is the saxophone, although I am extremely proficient with all of my other instruments.

I am currently a senior at Lebanon Valley College, in Annville PA. I will be graduating in May 2009 with two degrees, a BA in Jazz Studies, and a BM in Music Recording Technology. After graduation, I will be moving from central Pennsylvania to New Jersey to pursue dual masters degrees in saxophone performance and music education.

Currently, I work as a recording engineer with a company called Traveling Tracks (Traveling Tracks). We specialize in remote concert recordings, although we offer many other services. I also work as a freelance mixing and mastering enginner. Please feel free to contact me, as I am always looking to take on new projects.

My current set up:

Selmer Series II Alto Saxophone, Brushed Laquer
Selmer C* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece
Vandoran 3 Reeds
Meyer 5 Hard Rubber Mouthpiece
Vandoran Java 3 1/2 Reeds
Yamaha Custom Tenor Saxophone
Otto Link RG .108 Metal Mouthpiece
Vandoran Java 3 1/2 Reeds

Greg

#37 ·
Greetings to all. My name is Phillip and I am a saxophone major at Wichita State University in Wichita KS. In addition to school i do compose a little on the side. The debut performance of my first ever published work "A Folk Song Suite For Saxophone Quartet." is available on youtube [Bhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9SNkZYLYI[/B] check it out.

My current set up is an L.A. Sax 700 series with a Selmer C-star 80 mouthpiece. I use Vandoren ZZ reeds. I play mostly classical saxophone. I'm looking to find a new mouthpiece and reed brand soon.

Thanks for having me here and I hope to learn and help others learn more about this wonderful instrument.

#39 ·
Just want to drop my "Hello!" in. I just found this site yesterday and I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with this forum. I played in Junior High, High School and a little in college, but I let other things get in the way. Now 12 years later, I want to pick it back up again. :D

BTW, I'm located in Central Arkansas and looking for a good sax technician if anyone knows of one.

#40 ·
Hi,
I have a Noblet tenor sax that my oldest son played 8 years ago. I want to sell the thing, since it has simply been collecting dust in the closet, but my husband doesn't want me to sell it because one of our younger kids may want to play, later. He says saxaphones are expensive and we shouldn't have to invest in another. I can't really find the info I need on this particular sax to make the best decision. Can someone, anyone, help me?

Thanks,
goldencorner

#41 ·
Howdy. I'm an old lady from Texas. My horn is an RMC Martin Indiana S/N # 855xx purchased new in 1961 or 1962. I have the original Martin mouthpiece and also a 4m medium chamber lapped facing Meyer New York mouthpiece purchased at the same time as the horn. Both have been sitting in the original RMC Samsonite case in my closet since I quit playing in 1970. It's time to downsize. I'm looking for recommendations for the best place to sell either or both. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks.

#42 ·
Hi!
Clearly I'm new here, as I'm posting here =) so here's a little bit about me:
My name's Spencer, I'm 13 and I'm in 8th grade. Obviously I play the saxophone. And obviously I like it =P but the main reason I joined SOTW was because I'm looking around for a better horn. I've got a Zenith student alto... if you even know what that is =P

Anyway, my lessons teacher is telling me to look around for a lightly used Cannonball... a pro model =) so I'm kind of excited.

#43 ·
Hello all, nooobie here: joined yesterday -already made a couple of posts, but hadn0t noticed this 'introduction' thread until now (doh!)...
My name's Chris (Christopher).. 45 years young XD, originally from London, but living in Madrid. I am (and have been) a professional guitarist for 25+ years now, practically non-stop gigging/touring for the past 10 years. Finally, I'm on a 'break' for 6 months.

Last week, I was on an errand to buy a clarinet for my youngest daughter (starts learning this week) and originally my daughter wanted me to get a clarinet also (to learn together)... but the seller only had one 'student' clarinet at a reasonable price (the other clarinets available were 1000€uros (+/-US$1350). I mentioned that I had always fancied learning a saxophone (I didn't mind either a soprano, alto or tenor).. and the seller had an 'old beater' for a more than reasonable price (100€uros). It's a Chinese made 'Startone SAS-75'.. made in 2006 (the seller originally sold it, and then took it back on part-exchange for a better model)... I know there's a lot of criticism about Chinese made instruments - especially the 'cheap' ones.. but when the seller demonstrated it I thought "If he can make it sound that good, then there's no reason why I can't - with lessons and a bit of commitment!".

Actually, when the seller played my sax, he used his own mouthpiece (A 'Selmer' - don't know which model or size reed). He said the one that comes with the sax is a Yamaha 4C copy (he showed me a 'real' 4C and the only difference I could tell was that the 'real' one had the Yamaha logo on it) and will be good enough for me to learn and get used to the basics.

I've already spent a good few hours reading vairous posts on SOTW and all I can say is 'thank heaven for internet, the WWW and places like SOTW'

You're never too old to learn!!!!!!

#44 ·
Hello,

A new beginner here. I learned to play sax over 20 years ago but after the first 4 years I stop playing (long story) and went on a hiatus of way too many years during which I learned to play a bit of guitar and bass (even some keyboard). In the last 10 years I may have picked my poor sax probably less than 10 times... Lately I finally feel the urge to return to my first instrument, an old YAS-23 with a Selmer S80 C**, courtesy of a Jazz history show I watched that sparks something deep within...

While looking for a "cheap" way to change the sound of my sax I started to look at mouthpieces and while searching for reviews I happend on this site :)

Very happy I did, since I was a teen last time I played sax seriously and the web did not exist back then... Already learned alot tonight and looking for more!

Looking forward to exchange with you!

Jeff

#45 ·
Heya,
Im 17 and have been playing sax for about 6 years properly now, about to take my Grade 8. Been playing a Yamaha 275 till yesterday when I (finally!) ordered a Keilwerth SX90R "Edition 20 Years" with silver plated Dave Guardala King mouthpiece. Best sax setup Ive ever played!
Found this forum while searching for hard cases which will actually fit the Keilworths. They seem elusive..
Simon

#47 ·
Kia ora,
greetings from the South Pacific, one forgets, living on a couple of islands, how many sax players there are. What a brilliant site!
I was born in Germany and live in NZ since 1985. I studied classical music, did my masters in Environmental Science but always have been into jazz and funk. Go figure! After 10 years of absence from the music scene I am back, currently playing a Selmer Ref 54 Flamingo Alto and loving it.
Reading through some of the new intros I am surprised by the number of reborn saxplayers, well here is another one.

All the best
Stefan

#48 ·
Good to be a part of an International community of great sax enthusiast.
I´m a wannabe sax player on my fifties and a big fan of Martin. I own 3 beautifull saxes and hope that one day my playing skills will match the quality of my equipment. Remainds to be seeing!

My first sax was standard yamaha which I sold pretty soon and bought a new selmer. Now, after owning it for 15 years, I sold it and bought a vintage "The Martin" silvercoated tenor and haven´t regretted it!

I love the idea that these vintage instruments have a soul of their own and a long rugged life behind them. I´m sure, even the instruments can not speak, they will put a part of their soul into my limited playing...

Let´s talk to you soon!

Jazz till´you pass.

Smoothoperator

#49 ·
Hello all, I realized I might have made a faux pas posting in another thread before introducing myself here. Sorry!

I joined in Dec 2007, but have been lurking until recently, when I couldn't resist posting about my Conn Tranny alto from 1933.

I'm in my 40s, a classically trained pianist, currently working in Rome, Italy as an I.T. Administrator, although my training is as a civil engineer. Go figure.

I started playing the sax when I was living in Manila, Philippines, in the early 1990s, and the first instrument that I played, for a period of almost 9 months, belonged to a friend who very generously showed me the basics. It was an old sax of which he was quite protective, although he always lent it to me when I wanted to play.

I thought I sounded quite good, even as a beginner, but decided that I needed a "modern" sax, so I eventually got myself a Yamaha YAS23, with which I was never quite satisfied. Now the kick is, I now realize that the "old' instrument I played, after looking anew at some photos of myself with it, was a Conn New Wonder II, which as all Conn enthusiasts know, is one of the all-time greats!

I eventually moved on to a Yamaha YAS62 bought used, then a Selmer SBA which I bought at a very good price frmm a good friend who was a pro. The Selmer remained my main horn for quite a few years, and for a short time I actually played semi-professionally in a quartet, where we would perform at weddings, high school reunions, etc.

As fate would have it, about 2 years ago I played a Conn 6M from 1941 belonging to a friend who had 8 Conns of various ages. To say I was bowled over is to put it mildly. I'm a huge Parker fan, and how cool would it be to own a horn of a type he played? I finally got myself a Tranny from 1933, serial 257xxx, nothing special, quite beat up, but with a sound and flexibility that is out of this world. It seems to like any mouthpiece, any reed, any ligature (except the Rovner dark), which seems to be at odds with what I read here about the old Conns liking a certain type of round bore mpc like the Meyers.

In short, I'm a totally conn-vinced and conn-tented conn-vert, pardon the puns.

There remains one problem: my GAS has hit an all-time high, and I'm constantly itching after a New Wonder II. And a 26M. Even a 28M. I play the piano once a week just to keep my fingers flexible, but I don't look hungrily at pictures of Steinways and Bechsteins. I play the Tranny almost every day, and I trawl the internet all the time looking lustfully at photos of Naked Ladies within pentagons. Will it never end?

To close, I've since sold the Yamaha, and am hanging on the SBA only because it's worth so much!

#50 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's good to find people of like mind. I started playing alto when I was 9 and played until I was about 23 then life kicked me in the head and I had to put it down. Last year my wife made me buy a horn cause she was tired of me not playing (the music brought us together in the first place). I found a gorgeous 1935ish Conn 10M Naked Lady tenor and I have playing ever since. Because of my playing (obsession?), both my 8 year old son and my 14 year old daughter play the sax as well. I also have a nice little alto that I play from time to time.

I am now 34 years old and an IT professional during the day but a jazz nut musician by night. Just a little more practice and I will be ready to start playing gigs again (already have 2 lined up)...:cool:

Pat

#51 ·
Hi All..
Played clarinet back in the 60's from 5th grade to tenth grade....
never touched a horn again untill 1999 when my son started playing my clarinet in 7th grade. I bought another one so we could practice together. It worked out OK for a while...
Then the Maddness started.... My new Wife asked if I could play a saxophone, and so I found an alto and started playing it.... That led to a tenor, another tenor, another alto, and on and on...
Turns in to a obsession...
Anyway, I am just an amature musician. our comunity has a local open mike jam session that is usually fun to play in... play mostly by ear but I can and do read music too. I like to do a little of everthing,
For those that can not find people to play with (Music YOU like) there are two computer programs, BAND-IN-A-BOX and even better NOTEWORTHY COMPOSER. There are VAST Quantities of MIDI files on the Web, and you can find mos any type of music you like...

#52 ·
Hello to all.
I'm 19, I'm a music education/jazz studies major at University of Connecticut.
I started on alto, but switched to tenor and doubt I'll ever go back. I recently started playing soprano as well, and I'm loving it.

I also play a fair amount of bass, but that's not really relevant to this forum, so you'll never hear me bring it up again ;)

My setup at the moment:
Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, Metal Link 6*, Fibracell mediums
Soprano Yamaha yss-475, Yamaha 4C(looking for something better), Rico Royal 2.5's

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.