Sax on the Web Forum banner

Questions about Hal Leonard playalongs

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  old naked lady 
#1 ·
I bought one of the Hal Leonard Playalong CDs, "Jazz Ballads."

The format is:

Each tune is recorded twice.

Each track begins with a verbal countoff a la Aebersold.

The first track of each pair is rhythm section only. These tracks are titled with the names of the tunes.

The second track of each pair is a mixed with a horn playing the melody for the first chorus and last half the last chorus. These tracks are titled with the names of the tunes and the suffix, "-split."

The last track on the CD is a tuning track and is named "Bb Tuning Notes."

My question is for those of you who have other Hal Leonard CDs. Is this format consistent across the product line? Thanks.

(Note: The titles are what are displayed in media players that retrieve CD titles from the Internet.)

See less See more
#10 ·
what do you think of them so far?
The one I have is very nice. I bought it to learn the format. I like the two-track approach because one version lets me practice trumpet, sax, etc., and the other version lets me practice bass or piano.

There are some things I'd do differently, but since I publish my own free backing tracks, I get to do them however I want.

Thanks for all the info.

#6 ·
Funny, but all my Hal Leonard playalongs have the pair of tracks the other way around. The example recording (split track/melody) first and then the rhythm section only version (full stereo) is second. I've got about ten of these playalongs and really like them.

Rhys

#7 ·
Another characterisitic I neglected to mention:
The -split tracks have drums in the middle channel, and piano and bass isolated on the two stereo channels, whereas the other tracks are mixed like a typical stereo recording.

I am asking about these products to determine whether I can integrate the HL CDs into the playalong software I've developed.

#11 ·
I have six of the Leonard Jazz Playalong series. All have split track with horn soloist on the first take; then full stereo with no soloist on the second.

The "horn solo" middle section is empty on both takes, though, meaning that the rhythm section plays but the horn player lays out, so you are on your own for figuring out a solo (which is a good thing.)

I really am a fan of these. They force you to play at tempo and to listen for intonation. Plus, it's just plain fun. The back up band members never complain or drink up your liquor, and don't seem to get tired of doing the same three bars over and over again so I can get it right (I recommend a CD player with a wireless remote sitting on your music stand.)

The musicianship is understated, but not bland. And sometimes they will add a latin feel to spice up a song (like "My Foolish Heart" on the Jazz Ballads edition.)

Not noted here is that the horn parts on the first take seem to be equally split among alto, tenor and trumpet. So sometimes it's kind of fun for me to play in unison with a trumpet player, occasional splitting off onto a harmony part (I do this with "Come Fly With Me" on one of the two Sinatra books.)

I was REALLY impressed with the Bossa Nova book, though there are at least 3 cuts that I play out of each book. I think there are 10 cuts total in each edition.

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned that the sheets are written for for C, Bb and Eb instruments (in three sections) so you're pretty much set if you want to learn it in your band. My only minor complaint is that they rarely include the lyrics (only on the Ballad book, so far, and these were in a separate section at the back. ) Sure, I can go to the 'Net and then add chords, but it would be nice.

Overall, a LOT of use and enjoyment for me at fifteen bucks a crack.

#12 ·
These are great books - I work for a company that sells alot of them. Great sounding rhythm sections plus the melody is played so newbies can hear what's going on (big difference over Aebersolds).

Should point out that Hal Leonard Jazz Playalongs published in the UK don't always have the same track listings as those published in the US... the other annoying thing is that the US ones are advertised in the UK versions.

Eg Volume 4 Jazz Ballads has some sweet tunes in the US version, not so great ones in the UK.

Simon

#13 ·
Should point out that Hal Leonard Jazz Playalongs published in the UK don't always have the same track listings as those published in the US... the other annoying thing is that the US ones are advertised in the UK versions.

Eg Volume 4 Jazz Ballads has some sweet tunes in the US version, not so great ones in the UK.
I'm guessing it's a copyright issue.

#16 ·
+1 to what Mickstuppguy said.
I like the format because you can hear how the tune goes,then play the sheet music to the rhythm track ,then just play to the backing track.A good way to learn the tune. Not always though, the performances on #8 A.C.Jobim are pretty dull and flat :sleepy2:( it's O.K., I've JA's A.C.Jobim and it's stellar) and I've heard less than enthusiastic reports about #38 Yuletide Jazz. On the plus side I'm gassed about #23 Latin Jazz (great tunes well performed),#59 Soul Jazz:rr: ( terrific fun to play tunes, lot's of Horace Silver ) and #3 The Blues :cool:( I could play 'Blues In The Closet' all night ).#36 Horace Silver is a little intimidating with almost every tune ripping along at breakneck pace:notworth:. And it's getting about that time of year to pull out #25 Christmas Jazz :santa:( hoary old chestnuts but well done) and #66 A Charlie Brown Christmas :santa: ( I love that show and the music). There's a lot to be said for Jamey Aebersold's line of books but if you've ever felt lost trying to learn a tune from one, definitely give these a try.
Hal Leonard also has their 'Artist Transcription' series which features just transcriptions of artists work without a C.D. ( I have Dave Sanborn and Monk Fake book[70 tunes!!! ]). I like these a lot as you use the original recordings as your backing track. Depending on which horn you play you may need to transpose the music.
I'm going to stop here as I've got way more books but I see I've gone on too long already.

#17 ·
At a impromptu "Blues Workshop" last year the instructor had some Hal Leonard and Jamey Aebersold backing tracks in CD format. He only had a small boombox on a table top but they were fine quality recordings with decent musicians on them. He'd hit the play button and everyone in attendance would take turns jamming with the tracks. First time opportunity for me playing with pre-recorded CD's. We were all taking it seriously of course, but man I couldn't believe how fun it was! Cool :)

#18 ·
ALL of you guys should check out
www.jazzbacks.com
this guy has been making his jazz play along tracks for some time now and the quality of service ,musicianship and selection of tunes (with keys and tempo varieties) has transformed me forever.
he's even made backings for some of MY compositions for me without blinking an eye
I've never gotten a response like that from aebersold OR leonard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.