Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Distinguished SOTW Member kymarto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lacquered vs. Unlacquered Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I once had a horn that felt like it was vibrating. I took it to my tech who fixed it so that no longer felt like it was vibrating. I really don't understand why you would want it to feel like it was vibrating.
    Actually you don't really want the horn to vibrate, you want the air column to vibrate and if the walls of the horn are vibrating it actually can be destructive to the standing wave in the air column. An interesting little point here: there was an experiment recently involving deliberately trying to make the walls of a metal instrument vibrate in order to see what effect it actually had. The scientists had to both make the walls 1/6 the thickness of a normal horn AND make the cross section oval in order to make the structure weak enough to vibrate appreciably (more than just those little non-resonance vibrations that you actually probably feel in the pad cups but think you're feeling in the metal). After doing so they measured the effects, and found that while there was a change in tone quality, it was minor and only affected certain notes close to the resonant frequencies of the very-weakened tube, which was then vibrating quite noticeably. Their conclusion was that it was extremely unlikely that any body-tube vibrations would have a perceivable effect in a normal horn under normal playing conditions.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lacquered vs. Unlacquered Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by kymarto View Post
    Actually you don't really want the horn to vibrate, you want the air column to vibrate and if the walls of the horn are vibrating it actually can be destructive to the standing wave in the air column. An interesting little point here: there was an experiment recently involving deliberately trying to make the walls of a metal instrument vibrate in order to see what effect it actually had. The scientists had to both make the walls 1/6 the thickness of a normal horn AND make the cross section oval in order to make the structure weak enough to vibrate appreciably (more than just those little non-resonance vibrations that you actually probably feel in the pad cups but think you're feeling in the metal). After doing so they measured the effects, and found that while there was a change in tone quality, it was minor and only affected certain notes close to the resonant frequencies of the very-weakened tube, which was then vibrating quite noticeably. Their conclusion was that it was extremely unlikely that any body-tube vibrations would have a perceivable effect in a normal horn under normal playing conditions.
    I'm glad to see an expert opinion backing up what I suspected. Is there an online source with details of that experiment?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & HUNDREDS OF ONLINE TUTORIALS | FREE CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567