Sax on the Web Forum banner

[Urgent] What Should I Do?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nitrosax 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm planning on attending Bowling Green State University next year to study under Dr. Sampen, and I chose to go there because I felt that having him as a teacher was worth the extra cash to dish out for Out-of-State tuition and plane tickets and etc.
Now here's my dilemma. For the past month I've been trying to get a loan from multiple loan corportations, but my mom doesn't have the best credit record in the world thus I was denied all those loans (since she was my co-signer).
I don't really have anybody else to co-sign my student loans so it's come to the point where I have no clue what to do. The deadline to pay my bill (~6000$ for the semester) for BGSU is July 24th, that's 11 days from today.
Help anyone?
Thanks in Advance,
Andrew Park

#2 ·
I would definitely second contacting their Financial Aid department. At the university of Pittsburgh, I was recently coming up short in regards to financial aid by about $2000, and had no way of coming up with it, so I made an appointment (phone appointments work as well) and asked if there was any other way and they were able to come up with an additional $2100 in grants for me that would have gone unused. Also, if you haven't yet filled out a FAFSA I would recommend doing so. It may be too late to receive grants, but there still may be loans available. The current undergraduate first year limits on Stafford loans is $5500 ($3500 subsidized if you qualify, $2000 unsubsidized). Also, if your mother is willing to cosign, look into federal PLUS loans. You should be able to borrow up to the full amount of attendance, including room, board and living expenses, less any other financial aid received. Also, check out FastWeb and contact any services, clubs or affiliations anyone in your family may have to see if they have any scholarships available. Many descendants of veterans are eligible to apply for certain scholarships. Most importantly, though, fill out that FAFSA and appeal to the school's financial aid department. They're there to do whatever they can to make sure you can attend and afford going to school there without incident.

#3 ·
Avtually, if you don't have a co-signer they give you unsubsidized. My step son is a freshman got his fulll $8000 tuition covered by both loan types. His mom had bad credit from a diviorce, so the loans default to YOU getting the loan. The school's financial aide dept will convert you to whatever it takes to get YOUR money :)

#4 ·
Join the Army band! Only 3 years is a contract and you'll have all the money you'll EVER need for college...how's 3 years of practicing and performing and all the free reeds and saxophones sound to you? :) :) Also, if you have school loans, the Army pays back up to 65K$ of school loans...that's why i joined....

Good luck mate! if you wanna join--let me know....

#6 ·
There were a handful of people in my college band who came out of military bands and were using their education benefits. All of them were really good players. I think that part of the deal is that you get the in state tuition rate no matter where you go. We had a drummer come out of the Air Force bands. He was from Detroit but only had to pay the in state tuition.

#7 ·
Agent27, unless that's a new perk, I don't believe they get in state tuition wherever. I remember reading a case in which a man in Oregon wanted to attend a university at state prices, but had moved to Oregon prior to enlisting, and had been out of Oregon for more than two years and had to file suit to have it decreed that though he was on active duty, he still held Oregon as his primary residence for the two years required to qualify for in-state tuition. That said, I still think the military band is a great idea, and if I played any of my instruments well enough to pass an audition, I would be on my way to the recruitment center right now.

#9 ·
I'm serious about recommending it too. And plus, after a quick 3 year tour(which will be over before you know it) you might be a completely different player and of a different mindset and may want to study with Sanborn instead of Sampen! Email me if you're interested....Nitro

PS. GI Bil actuallyl just went up and completely changed for the better...too many details to discuss here...

#11 ·
Students who live in Washington D.C. get in-state tuition rates at any university in the nation. I'm not sure about the constituents which go along with this policy (you may have to attend or graduate HS in the D.C. area), but maybe you could take a year off of school to move to Washington and get residency and then shove off to BGSU at in-state cost, Andrew. Worth taking a look at the rules on that one.

#12 ·
There are roughly 5 bands or so that deploy to Iraq/Afghanistan on rotation...each tour about 9-15 months depending on the situation and mission. These bands that deploy are regular, normal(division bands) Army bands--The important thing is how WELL you play your horn...If you play really really well, know people AND happen to be in the right place at the right time and there HAPPENS to be an audition for a special band...that is one way to stay stabilized in DC or NY or wherever...the second option is called a MACOM band which is sort of between a Special band( you have to play at a certain level which is determined by an audition score) and a regular, run of the mill Army band...There are 3 of these...Atlanta, Virginia Beach and Heidleberg Germany....This is the option I opted for...they are stabilized assignments for roughly 2 years. If you are in a special band or a macom band/Japan unit you're chances are low of being deployed...

Unfortunately or fortunately--depending on how you look at it...national guard and reserve units deploy far more than regular active units...

Plus, this is an election year...so there will be changes with a new president...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.