Sax on the Web Forum banner

The bass in modern music

13K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  ladyraygun 
#1 ·
I dunno why I never realized this before, but the sax player/lead singer for Fishbone (Angelo Moore aka Dr Madd Vibe) plays bass sax. Yeh, he will do tenor like every other ska band before him, but he will also do soprano.. alto.. bari.. and bass. I never realized this.. and I feel stupid.

Not only does he play the classic wrap bass...
>
He plays the moderns wrapped one, too!

I feel stupid.. am I missing any other bass sax players in modern music. And no, Adrian Rollini doesn't count.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
And a few years back we had:
Amazing isn't it, the things you can do in Europop. The number (even in 2001) is totally 80s new wave sex pop, with 70s looking outfits and a lead singer who looks like she stepped out of a 30s floor show.

We could go into the semiotics of the bass sax as used here. A crusty old dude with a ZZ Top beard, playing his creaky, gassy funk figure over and over and over. He is the aging hipster libido, slowly leaving the loins and sinking into the bowels, dreams of lascivious pouting divas melting into a muddle, but still dancing.

#8 ·
I saw a performance once a long time ago on Saturday Night Live where a guy was dancing while playing a bass sax. It was a vintage satin silver Buescher or Conn. I wish could fine it on YouTube.

#9 ·
They used that horn in a couple of number IIRC. One was "King Tut" with Steve Martin, and the other was an all nurse band...led by none other than the now popular soundtrack composer, Howard Shore.

#17 ·
I was watching Conan O'Brian the other night, and They Might Be Giants was on.. I didn't think much of it.. I was just like..

Oh.. Look at that.. I know them.

Then all of a sudden out of no where they had 2 baris and a bass sax playing then I was like..

Oh yeh.. John Linnell plays bass sax.. huh? lol

#19 ·
3 Cheers for the TRIPLE POST!

John Linnell isn't playing this song because he is SINGING the song.. lol

There is their performance from Conan O'Brian.

#18 ·
I was browsing through the local books store, and saw a book that had pictures from 3 decades of concerts at CBGB OMFUG.. Of course there were pictures of the Ramones (duh).. Sex Pistols.. then I hit 1991, and lo' and behold.. there is Angelo Moore, crowd reaching at his ankles, as he is wailing on the bass sax.

lol The bass sax has entered the underground.. it is just that it is SO underground that nobody knows XD

#20 ·
I found another picture of his playing his bass, but a little close up..

Is anyone able to figure out what kind of horn he is playing?

(and 4 cheers for a technical quadruple post.. even though there was a 6 month break in between posts :p)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.