Sax on the Web Forum banner

New SKB Bari Case looks pretty cool

21K views 65 replies 36 participants last post by  Merlin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, have not seen any posts on the new SKB Bari case. I saw it at NAMM this past January and it looked pretty big but was really light and they said they had tested it against the BAMM and it was just as strong and protective or more so. It was so light it actually freaked me out. Don't remember a price but thought it might be wroth checking into. It was pretty big but had a wider wheel base than the BAMM so I think it would roll more stable overall.

Greg Vail SAXBOY

#2 · (Edited)
Some of the SKB people brought one of the cases to the store I work to check the fit for various makes of bari sax. The interior is based off of a Selmer style horn, but we fit a Yamaha, Juipiter, Bundy, Selmer USA (with low-A), and a Buescher True-Tone and they all fit. I personally own a BAMM bari case and when the SKB is made available to the public I plan on buying two of them, I prefer the SKB to my BAMM.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...ku_type-hard-79&id=461&o=&offset=2&c=109&s=79

-Scott

#8 ·
That looks like the shiznit to me! And if it has the right price tag, I am there too !

#10 ·
I had a price but lost it and forgot it. They said they had tested it against a BAMM and said it was stronger. I know of no outside test or information yet. I have it in a brochure but no price on it. It just looked really good to me when I saw it.

GREG

#11 ·
Has anyone gotten an up-close look at these yet? Prices?

The SKB website still doesn't have a price or availability listed, so I am thinking maybe they aren't in production yet.:?

#13 ·
Think a Martin Magna Low-A bari would fit?

(My current case is trashed - and it won't fit in my Bam for sure)

#15 ·
Other than possibly being stronger than the BAMM and maybe cheaper, what are the differences between the two? The SKB looks identical to the BAMM, both inside and outside (except for the color). Does the SKB have more storage? Are the handles more secure? Are there straps to carry the case? Are the latches the same as the BAMM or do they lock better?

Strength is great for a case, but the Walt Johnson Cases are strong, but flex enough to bend a bari. I have the repair bills and repairman to prove this. If the Walt Johnson Cases were able to be driven like a Porsche, fire proof, bullet proof, and able to hold a clarinet, flute, bass clarinet, tenor sax and a bassoon, after my experience with Walt Johnson and his cases, I would not put my bari in one if it weighed 15 oz and cost a dime.

I need to know more before I even think about putting my bari in one.

#16 ·
SKB list at $459. but seems to be selling at $299. Amazon.com has them and with free shipping!
As for the Johnson case as I have said before it's which one you buy, the new ones are good and as for the horn being damaged, I don't think that was a case issue but an airline issue. Airlines take the horns out of the case to check for drugs and damage the horns or drop them. I had my bari fall down a full flight of stairs in a Johnson case with "no" damage what so ever.

But it 's heavy to carry up the stairs and this new SKB case looks really good!

#17 ·
There have actually been a number of posts on this bari case. I had reported last December, that I picked one up here in Seattle for $250 plus tax, at a local major retailer, and business was SLOW, the day I went in. No credit card,
CASH. The guy hemmed and hawed a bit, and then took my money.

Since that time, I have flown my Yamaha 62 Custom at least 6 times, SO FAR, with absolutely no damage to the horn. I do, however, pad the horn with towels, and use key holders as well. It is a remarkably well designed and constructed case, I.M.O., particularly for the price. While not as protective as others, it is nonetheless, worth checking.

So far, it has survived the gorrillas at T.S.A. who lurk in the baggage areas,
and their cohorts in airline baggage.
Checking any instrument is obviously risky, BUT.......

Hope this will help you decide. Try to get one at a supplier with a return policy, should you not care for it.

#21 ·
I've been using the SKB bari for my 1955 Martin Committee for about six weeks now. The solid foam required some fairly aggressive "massaging" around the throat of the bell but with that done the horn fits snugly without detectable movement. I even have room under the bell keys to stash a wooden reed case in a cloth bag. As I only have taken the horn around town in my own car I have no comment on air travel. So far it seems like the case for The Martin Bari. BTW I bought the case from ebay for $299 with free shipping.

#24 ·
I have the SKB bari case. A local guitar shop beat everyone's price. I got it for <300 dollars. It fits my YBS 62 really well. I hated the Yamaha stock coffin case and couldn't bring myself to spend 800 or more on a BAM.

#25 ·
Now that the SKB has been around for a little while... has anyone tried a King Zephyr or Super 20 in one? The wide bow and projecting bell flare make it difficult to find a decent modern case.

I may have to go with a Protec, but I really dislike zippers. Heck I'd even consider an original King case over the Protec if I could find one if half-decent condition!

#26 ·
Although at least 2 people have said a Buescher TT would fit in this case, I found that it required some *significant* crushing of the case padding (I used a hammer!) to get the horn to fit. That accomplished, I am very happy with it. Modern Yamaha, Yanigasawa or Selmer baris probably fit like a glove by the overall look of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.