Summer Workshops/Programs/Camps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Summer festivals?

Hello,

I'm a junior music major looking for a good summer music festival to go to. The problem is I'm having trouble finding one that has a place for saxophone. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to find one that's 4-6 weeks long, but I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
    Brittney

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try Interlochen. I've heard many great things about the program there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Interlochen is for students up to grade 12, and I'm a junior in college

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always be a counselor there. Still a lot of great playing oppurtunities, you'd get to study with John Nichols and Dr. McAllister, it looks great on a resume, and you'd get paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really think there are many summer "festival" (camps) that fit your bill. Especially for Classical Saxophone(which I am assuming you want to study since it's in the classical forum) There are probably some good ones for Jazz if you dig long enough.

There's that Eugene Rousseau camp but that's only a week long, and there's also the Wildacre's Retreat which is also only a week long (Same with Gap)

Camp is good because you have fun (meet new people) and at the same time get work done. But if you just want to get better as a player over the summer, just drive down to a university and take a lesson. It'll save you a load of money (since 6 week long camps range up to 7k), and you can probably get more practice time in.

This summer I plan on working/(maybe)teaching lessons/practicing HARD and taking lessons from people relatively close by (Branford Marsalis, Taimur Sullivan, Steve Stusek, etc.)

So unless you live in like... The middle of nowhere and hundreds of miles away from the nearest saxophone professor. Then you should consider doing that. If not, then try multiple camps (as listed above)
    Last edited by BlueLight; 11-18-2007 at 03:05 AM.

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The eight week New York Summer Music Festival (NYSMF) presents a 2 week intensive Saxophone Insitute that I run and direct. There are daily classes on saxophone history, performance, repertoire, master classes, a large saxophone ensemble (sopranino - contrabass), saxophone quartet, private lessons and chamber coaching. The age range is from high school through college. This summer it will be offered in the first session, beginning in late June.

Paul Cohen

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get to North Carolina, going to Wildacres is an amazing opportunity, even if it's only once. James Houlik is one of the most amazing men I've ever had the opportunity to meet! (I'm sure Angel and Dannel could both account for this) The week consists of group masterclasses in the morning (technique, articulation, overtones, etc.), then quartet, afternoon recitals, then solo masterclasses at night. It's all a ton of fun, and it is coupled with a flute camp, so you can meet some amazing flutists (Goran Marcusson, etc.) while you're there. The quartet part is managed by the New Century Saxophone Quartet (Michael Stephenson, Steve Pollock, Chris Hemmingway, and Connie Frigo). They each take 2-3 quartets based on the people there (quartets are, I believe, assigned based on your ability level listed on the application, unless stated who you want to play with) and coach them throughout, then each one either plays on a masterclass or a recital or both. It's really a great program, I've gone the past 2 years and plan on going again this year (I'm pretty active around here with a flute friend, so wildacres is the best place for us to perform sax/flute duets). If you can go, even if it's only once, it's a blast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crane Youth Music 2008 ~ Summer Music Camp in Northern New York

CYM at the Crane School of Music - SUNY Potsdam

Crane Youth Music (CYM) was founded in 1972, and is proud to be celebrating its 36th session this summer. To this day, CYM continues a heritage of outstanding and cost-effective musical training for young musicians, ages 12-18, throughout the eastern United States.

Performance Opportunities at CYM:
    Camp Choir • Orchestra • Chamber Choir • Chamber Music • Concert Band • Jazz Ensemble • Piano • Symphonic Band • Wind Ensemble • Voice • Treble Choir

Click here for more information . . .

Sorry folks! Apparently our saxophone slots filled up in January! Please do keep us in mind for next summer. . .

Last edited by prodigal; 04-25-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saxophone summer camps

Does anybody know of any sax summer camps or festivals. i have tried looking online for some but i really cant find any. thanks

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saxophone summer camps

If you are in California, Idyllwild arts is really really nice. It is not exclusively saxophone (band orchestra, arts) but is very fun. They have a private sax instructor and stuff too.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Location, location, location. Without that, I cannot help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fsu summer camp was nice

sax choir and masterclasses...
    Alto: cannonball big bell series, silver plated. vandoren AL3 with vandoren 3.5's or stock cannonball with jazz selects Soprano "maxtone", vandoren AL3 vandoren 3'sClarinet: 1950's buffet r13, vandoren b45, vandoren 3.5's
    flute: miyazawa 202, 9mz headjoint. piccolo: emerson boston legacy with keefe headjoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eugene Rousseau has a camp over the summer, you should check it out.

or maybe you should go to Wildacre's in North Carolina w/ Jim Houlik, he's a beast.

or maybe you could fly to France and attend GAP w/ Claude Delangle!

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Habanera boys also have their own course as well. It's held just after Gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I too am looking for many summer camps to go to!! I need a couple, maybe Ill go to hamamatsu again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cardinal Saxophone workshop will be happenng this July 13th through the20th at the University of Louisville.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a really nice one in Laubach, Germany. Teachers: Arno Bornkamp, Vincent David.
    Chris Condon

8th Army Band

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Houlik Saxophone Retreat at Wildacres

June 21-28, 2008 (that's right, folks - EIGHT DAYS!!)

Cost is between $550 and $600 total. Amazingly inexpensive for the sheer amount of activities, resources, comfort provided.

Each participant will experience daily:
    Technique class, taught by James Houlik.
    Large Saxophone Ensemble, conducted by Michael Stephenson and Jose Oliver Riojas.
    Saxophone Quartet rehearsals, coached by members of the New Century Saxophone Quartet (in residence).
    Afternoon recitals - performances by James Houlik, the New Century Saxophone Quartet, participant quartets.
    Evening masterclasses - solo classes taught by James Houlik, chamber classes by New Century Saxophone Quartet.
    Private lessons with any one of the saxo faculty when available (I've never known one to refuse).
    Party every single night. For real.

The food is good, the scenery is stunning, and the facilities are quite nice in this secluded mountain retreat in North Carolina. Follow these links for more info:

http://www.wildacres.org
    http://www.jameshoulik.com
    http://www.newcenturysax.com
    http://www.stephen-pollock.com

Angel
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The March issue of Downbeat magazine has a summer jazz camp guide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna assume you're in high school. Many colleges offer music camps during the summer. Check music department websites of local colleges. Also, Interlochen and Brevard are great choices for more advanced high school students.
    "We work every day, methodically, patiently, meticulously, in order for art to become our second nature"
    -Jean-Marie Londeix

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast