Help Please..Alfonso Rampone Alto History

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Help Please..Alfonso Rampone Alto History

Hi,

I have recently acquired a pretty funky looking Alfonso Rampone alto which I am trying to get some history data on. It came in a very old and weathered case (which is kind of nice). I originally thought it came from R & C but they emailed me back saying it was one of Alfonso's. The serial number is 11761 and if anyone has any idea of its vintage I would be very grateful. It is currently in pieces at my local workshop and being rebuilt and I can't wait to get a hold of it for a good old blow.

Cheers..Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help Please..Alfonso Rampone Alto History

Hi Michael.
    I am selling a Rampone tenor. What a beast! Did you ever get your alto working, and how does it work? I'd be interested to know.
    Mark

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L Plates View Post
    ... if anyone has any idea of its vintage I would be very grateful.
    His Langwill's entry reads:

Rampone, Alfonso (b Quarna 1900; d 1983) Woodwind Instruments, flourished Quarna 1932 - post 1950.

Clarinets, saxophones; 1932 established by Alfonso, a distant cousin of Egidio Rampone [of R&C]; in 1930s employed a workforce of 20.
    If you can post photos, I'm sure there'd be many who would like to see them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got any pics ?

I picked up a A. Rampone alto earlier this year
    s/n 12376

Beneath the A.Rampone engraving it has

QUARNA - NOVARA

Plays quite well (smallish leak)
    goes nicely with my desidera tenor

Some pics of the A.Rampone here
    http://www.alexthegeek.com/instruments/rampone_alto/

Pics of the desidera
    http://www.alexthegeek.com/instruments/desidera/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi to all.

I started this thread as LPlates 6 months ago but one thing and another has kept me too distracted to get back to it.

I couldn't remember the password so thought I may as well re-register..the surname is Baxter...so it sort of works I guess.

The Alfonso Rampone alto is back from the workshop and although I haven't had too much time on it, one thing is totally clear, even to a novice such as me...this sax has a really great sound, the tone is very warm, rich and full and you can't help but be impressed. When you hit some notes...you just have to think..wow, that was a damn great sound.

Compared to the YAS 62, it is a more rich and mellow and full sound altogether. The thing is, it is a lot harder to play, not just the old style ergonomics, but the amount of effort to just blow the air through it. I would say it takes about half as much effort again (or maybe a bit more) to get it to play than what it does with the Yamaha.

I don't know whether this is normal for the older style sax's or whether it is a mismatch of mouthpiece to the instrument. I am currently using a Van Doren mouthpiece on it which produces the great sound but I wonder whether with the amount of effort required, perhaps it is not well suited to the horn.

Unfortunately, living in Tasmania, I don't have any music shops which carry any range of mouthpieces to try out, so if anyone has any ideas or advice on what may be a more suitable mouthpiece, I would be very grateful.

Originally I was using a Yamaha 4C on it which blows more easily but of course does not have anywhere near the same tone.

If you can help me out...let it rip.

Cheers..Michael

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some vintage horns definitely take more air than some modern horns. My Martin tenor can really take some air -- I like that, but everyone's tastes are different. If you feel like its taking too much for your taste, look for a mouthpiece with a higher baffle, as that tends (for me, at least) to reduce the airstream required.

As for mouthpieces, what sound are you looking for? Bright, contemporary, dark, focused, spread, classical, blues, etc etc? Such taste preferences will greatly influence mouthpiece recommendations... There's no single right mouthpiece for a particular horn, and most mouthpieces have a range (not an infinite range, but a reasonable range) of possible tonal characteristics. So, if you give an idea of what sounds you want to hear more of, people may be able to help a bit.

Alternatively, spend some time reading on here about different mouthpiece reviews, etc. -- there's tons of information and advice already here. My advice would be that if you're looking for less air required, look for a smaller tip opening and at least medium- or high-baffle piece. But YMMV...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any idea of an Alfonso Rampone Tenor is worth? I too wrote to R&C and found out my tenor was a A Rampone from the mid 1960's. It's in good quality too.
    Early 1960's Alfonzo Rampone Tenor Saxophone
    Serial #10785
    Brilhart Tonalin #4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought an alto saxophone which looks like an early Alfonso Rampone (1930-40). One which has a lot of Conn features (mercedes logo shaped key guard on low C) etc. It looks exactly like a Conn new wonder II only both bell keys are on the right side. On the bell is mentioned: Elkhorn, Winsconsin, distributed by Getzen. In very much different writing "made in Italy". It looks as if it has been added later on.

Based on the description on the bell I think it is made in the US and then transported to Italy under then name of Getzen. Later on Alfonso Rampone started his own factory and assembled the saxophones in Italy >1950 and used the name Alfonso Rampone.

Here is picture of a similar Alfonso Rampone tenor:

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not likely......Alfonso Rampone had his own factory and has provided saxophones to Getzen (they were in wisconsin!) http://www.getzen.com/inside/history.shtml
    which bought saxophones from many companies, Buescher too (I have one). If it says made in Italy is because it was and it later engraved in the USA with the Getzen logo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pupparoo123 View Post
    Any idea of an Alfonso Rampone Tenor is worth? I too wrote to R&C and found out my tenor was a A Rampone from the mid 1960's. It's in good quality too.
    Not much.

There is not a market as such for these horns. It is worth what one pays for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Milandro,

There is no getzen logo on this horn.

The engraving on the bell (Elkhorn Wisconsin distr by Getzen) must have been done by the manufacturor, if thats Alfonso Rampone this is done in Italy. The second engraving "made in Italy" is then probably added in Wisconsin by Getzen. As Getzen did not make saxophones themselves it explains the ugly (amateur like) writing.

It has a nice tone and quality. I added a video on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ifo7EFJJI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

today, someone else, here in Holland, is offering another horn, Conn-like, but with made in italy (also this one primitively engraved made in italy!) on it, the seller claims too that the horn would have been later engraved, in America with made in Italy (which was not a way to make things more expensive at that time). The NILE! the giveaway of a Rampone copy are the red rollers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My rampone alto is still for sale if someone is interested. AUD$150 + p&h
    Needs an overhaul pictures here http://www.alexthegeek.com/instruments/rampone_alto/
    can take some new ones if anyone is interested.

no red rollers http://www.alexthegeek.com/instrumen...o/IMG_1681.JPG

Sold my desidera (slowly reducing down to one or two of each sax)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that Rampone Conn copy that I am referring to is both earlier than yours and has red rollers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    that Rampone Conn copy that I am referring to is both earlier than yours and has red rollers
    [[[}THREAD REVIVED{]]]]
    SEÑIOR MILANDRO, I now have another product of Quarno Sotto! Just received an eBay no name tenor from southern California yesterday. No one else had bid on it so I thought the last one to buy should be an Alfonso Rampone. The little beast needs some tlc but it's mechanically sound except for the replacement octave linkage.
    It's Very much like the TolStar bari in another thread; smaller bell, exact same left table with white rollers but as with other tenors and altos I've seen, a G# trill key. Heavy bugger too! If there are any tenor owners out there with one in the 9000 range I would appreciate a couple of closeup pics of the octave pin linkage.
    Grassi Bb Baritone Jade, Grassi Low A Baritone
    A. Cassini Tenor, La Monte Superior Tenor (Grassi Stencils)
    Grassi Alto Jade, Grassi Alto Stripped: mpcs ALL Winston & Isaacs Ebony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you! Enjoy! (By the way it is Quarna sotto page in Italian (http://www.comune.quarnasotto.vb.it/ComHome.asp)
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.