Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2008 Il Padrino's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Phil Barone Tenor Saxophone review

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Saxguy007, I hope you still have your Barone? Am glad the initial review helped influence you back then to getting one. They're great horns. Oh, and did I say 2 years ago???? I was wrong, it was 3 YEARS!! Christ I feel old now In which case, the bodywork and lacquer have stood up even better considering its continual use and travel.

Set up? I a Vandoren V16 ebonite T8 (I got it from Ed Zentera back around the time I got the horn, he opened the tip to make it also as part of what I was looking for soundwise, so it's probably an 8*). I also use an out of the box T8 for funk and modern work. They're wonderful mouthpieces, and I haven't looked at anything different since getting them years ago. Looking forward to the baritone versions too, due to be released soonish. Reeds wise, Rico Royal Jazz Select filed, 2H or 3S depending on the mouthpiece.

Nice clips Evan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Saxguy007, I hope you still have your Barone? Am glad the initial review helped influence you back then to getting one. They're great horns.
    Yes, indeed I still have it. It became my main tenor not long after I started playing it and got used to it. I'll be gigging with it pretty much every Saturday nite for the next several weeks!
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

Live gig sound clips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize the last post was over a year ago so not sure if anyone's still watching this, but I'm looking at getting a Barone Tenor (and probably an alto to follow if all goes well) I'm a Selmer fan, (though not a selmer snob lol, I'm open minded) so based on the more recent reviews and comparisons of Classic model to Selmer and Vintage to Conn that's probably what I'm leaning towards without playing them. I'm really liking the matte satin finish so here's the QUESTION: Has anyone experienced the spotted spit stains etc on the matte finish? I have an unlacquered model from a certain other Taiwanese brand that is a great horn, but its starting to look rough and tough which is fine for most applications, but for certain gigs I'd like one that doesn't look like a dalmation I was just wondering how the satin lacquer is holding up???? I'm sure the Vintage gold lacquer holds up well and that'd be my 2nd choice as it looks very much like my selmer color. Thanks!

Forum Contributor 2010-2016 patmiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Classic tenor and Vintage alto are in honey gold lacquer with no sign of a problem after 18 months. Can't speak for any other finish though. I'm still very pleased with both my purchases. I've owned MkVI (18 years), MkVII (12 years) and YTS-62 (22 years) - I'm no horn flipper. My Barones compare more than favourably with what I've owned and played before.
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have known Phil a long time. I talk with him once or twice a month. I had the opportunity to play a used tenor a couple months ago that Mark set up at USA HORN. It was a nice fat sounding tenor with good intonation and plenty of vintage character.The horn was very gig worthy. The bottom line is he offers a very nice stable of quality pro saxophones at a very fair price point. I respect his products and his efforts... I wish him much success...
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2014/11/viking-m58-and-m60-valkyrie-cognac-tenor-saxophone-review/

http://www.viking-instruments.com

845-361-9353

Current production mod

M58s New York model
    M60 Valkyrie

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go with Gold Plate it will look shiny new as long as you live if you keep it clean. It is a beautiful finish. The pictures don't do it justice !
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the Barone from USA Horn that Rich mentioned. It's a great horn. I bought it as a back up for my Keilwerth and now use it as my primary horn.

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My antique bronze Barone does have some spit-related discolorations inside the bell at this point, but they are hard to spot. Still looks very nice.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

Live gig sound clips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old post...but I really like to know how goes the PB tenor? Still loving ? Any major issues?
    Thanks guys

Forum Contributor 2014-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Barone forum. Lots of great comments by players who use Barone's as their primary or backup. My classic is going on 4 years old and still plays great. These are terrific saxophones.
    I think there's a built in hesitancy because they're so under priced. There's always a tendency to equate price with quality. Not the case with Barones. If Phil charged another thousand bucks maybe some people would embrace them more readily.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chengda85 View Post
    hey phil, do you ship to canada?
    Sure. Phil

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a vintage Conn 10m and Barone tenor at the house for a decade. Those are my choices for vintage and modern horns.
    Both are a lot of fun to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil is back! I think this is your first post in years. I hope you are doing well and will continue to contribute to the forum, I really enjoyed your contributions in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jswers View Post
    Phil is back! I think this is your first post in years. I hope you are doing well and will continue to contribute to the forum, I really enjoyed your contributions in the past.
    Goes double for me!
    Ideally, the hardest thing about playing saxophone should be putting it back in the case.

Forum Contributor 2014-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see you back here Phil. I hope you find time to contribute occasionally again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This post from Phil is kind of strange. Phil is responding to a question asked in 2009. He already responded to this question in 2009. Is Phil back or is this post from Phil today a glitch in the system? I know Phil had some health issues and I have wondered if he is ok. I corresponded with him a few years ago and he said he was doing well. I certainly hope this is still the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloader View Post
    Old post...but I really like to know how goes the PB tenor? Still loving ? Any major issues?
    Thanks guys
    As I started the thread, I thought I'd answer this question... So here we are 9 years later, and yes, still loving it. Major issues? None. Minor issues? Had to have a few pieces of cork replaced, and a few pads - nothing serious. Considering it has been my main horn since 2009 and I still use it as my main horn, though only gigging about once a week over the last 2 years, compared to 3 times a week for the first 6/7 years, I'd say the proof is in the pudding!

I'll pop some photos up when I get a chance to show you how the body is baring up. Excellently after 9 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for your reply! I just bought a tenor from Phil. Looking forward to play it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloader View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply! I just bought a tenor from Phil. Looking forward to play it..
    Am sure you're gonna love playing it!

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jswers View Post
    This post from Phil is kind of strange. Phil is responding to a question asked in 2009. He already responded to this question in 2009. Is Phil back or is this post from Phil today a glitch in the system? I know Phil had some health issues and I have wondered if he is ok. I corresponded with him a few years ago and he said he was doing well. I certainly hope this is still the case.
    I'm back. Just took a break for a while and have been busy with the business. Nice to hear that some of you folks are interested. It's nice to be back. Phil

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast