Sax on the Web Forum banner

Phil Barone Tenor -- Tons of pics!

104K views 339 replies 78 participants last post by  bluto 
#1 · (Edited)

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey paisan! Congrats! Looks great and if it plays great what more could a guy want?

#10 ·
Please don't jump on me for this question, but does the keys or rods look a little shoddy to anyone? For example, the first picture of the palm keys. I think there are a couple of imperfections in the metal, or is that just me? Are these things just cosmetic and to be expected from such a cheaply made horn out of asia?

Bit inexperienced with these types of saxes.

#15 ·
I think you might be missing the point of a bare brass horn, essentially it is not polished consequently some of the surface imperfections that are removed in the polishing process and then covered by a liberal coat of lacquer remain on view.

I'm not sure if the F sharp guard is off centre or just the camera angle.

#18 · (Edited)
It reminds me of a horn I had. It looked almost identical, was made in Taiwan. Very flattering tone, easy to blow, great looks and ergos. Unfortunately, the palm keys springs kept on breaking and one of the right hand side key just broke under normal playing conditions. And it was only a year after I purchased it. I also play with the horn on my side and the lacquer was completely gone on the bell and tube where it touched my clothes in the same amount of time. The irritating thing is the seller of this sax - who does much like Phil i.e. purchase the horn and put is logo on it - blamed it on me. Never will I ever buy a Taiwanese horn again. If a horn can't take 4 - 5 hours playing a day, it's definitely a low quality horn. I guess when you want the best you have to pay the price. IMO those manufacturers in Taiwan just don't care about what they make. They would manufacture truck tires or furniture much the same way if they hadn't find a lucrative market for their saxophones.

The reason why the market is flooded with Taiwanese instruments and music gears is that US or European importers make HUGE PROFITS out of the transaction and THAT'S IT. I tried to do a microphone group buy in the past and to cut a long story short, the margin the US retailer took - after expenses - was an amazing 50%+. No wonder why Taiwan is taking over the world of music. Believe me, stay away from Taiwanese products.

Now I'm happy for those of you who bought those horns and are happy with them but I won't make the same mistake twice.

Victor.

#22 ·
When I bought a Taiwan made Conn 94M soprano for my daughter to start on it cost $595 in 2004. A month before I bought the 94M I bought my Selmer(paris) super action 80 series II soprano for $2399. The Taiwanese sax offed about 75% of the perfromance of the selmer(paris) at about 25% of the price. Based on my experience,It is entirely feasible that Phil's saxes kick butt!!~!~!!

#37 ·
Why don't you read my post more carefully? I said:

"My preferred mouthpieces on my JK NS are two Florida Links (7* and 8*) ... My favorite Florida Link doesn't work at all on the Barone tenor (so much for mouthepiece recommendations, huh? You always have to factor in the horn) as it is stuffy and has a very high resistance. The other one works perfectly."

#48 ·
FWIW,I think some get caught up in the you get what you pay for adage ie it can't possiblely play great cause it's too inexpensive. Also some people like to have "bragging rights" ie I play a Selmer reference Keilwerth Shadow etc. Play a Barone and you might be ask What's a Barone(or maybe/more likely I thought he made mouthpieces)???? You should play the saxophone that most easily turns your ideas/effort into music.

#51 ·
FWIW,I think some get caught up in the you get what you pay for adage ie it can't possiblely play great cause it's too inexpensive. Also some people like to have "bragging rights" ie I play a Selmer reference Keilwerth Shadow etc. Play a Barone and you might be ask What's a Barone???? You should play the saxophone that most easily turns your ideas/effort into music.
This guy it it on the head. It's hard for anyone that spent 5 grand on a horn to accept that a horn for a grand is just as good. Well, at least when you go to sell a Selmer you won't lose much if anything. There was a time when you'd have to pry my Selmers from my cold, dead hands but after playing one of these I couldn't deny it anymore. I still own my Selmers (have the greatest Mark VI bari) but I'm playing the horns from Taiwan. It's just the way it is. Phil

#52 ·
Listen, guys: I has been mentioned in many threads that it would be nice to see pictures of these horns, so I take some time, make pictures, post them on my server, write a brief review, and what is the response?

... some comment on "sloppy solder", clearly never having seen a bare brass horn or what's hidden under their plated horns and come to the conclusion that this horn is of inferior quality ...

... someone misquote me by saying that the horn doesn't play with Links (which I never said; I said that it doesn't play well with one Link, while it plays perfectly well with another Link) ...

... another one wouldn't stop posting about a totally unrelated Taiwanese horn that he bought god knows when from god knows how and based on this draws conclusions on this horn (but then admits that he bought a defective "mystery" horn in the first place) ...

... someone says that the build quality is flimsy without ever touching the horn (FYI: the horn weighs almost 7lbsand the keys are just as solid as the ones on my JK SX90R NS horn) ...

... then someone says that he'd rather see a review from "honest folks" with more experience like himself. Very humble, huh? ...

If it is not appreciated that I posted pictures and give a brief review, I'm outa here. :cya:

#59 ·
It's shame things have a tendency to turn ugly on this forum. Everybody has a right to use the equipment that they feel helps their musicianship the most. And everyone has the right to their own opinions(sometimes they can be expressed in a less than humble way unfortuneately).

#61 ·
Wow, the guys review a fricking sax, and you guys go ballistic. I have seen VI's on here that people say are their sax, and the best instrument in the world, and they look like ****!
Thanks for showing your compassion and friendliness to Giganova, guys.

I thought it looked rather nice, and I am sure would sound great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.