New Sax repertoire WIKI site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post New Sax repertoire WIKI site

Hi all,

I have just set up a new WIKI as a ressource to keep us informed of any new pieces written or performed for saxophone.
    For those of you unfamiliar with a WIKI, it is an interactive web site which can be edited by many people. The best example of this is Wikipedia.
    Well, now we have our own wiki site.
    What I propose is a collaborative of all saxophonists and composers who wish to keep us informed of new pieces which are being created. As we all now, the saxophone repertoire has grown exponentially in the last decades and although books such as Jean-Marie Londeix's A Comprehensive Guide to the Saxophone Repertoire are a great ressource, they become outdated the minute they hit the bookstore and are difficult to maintain by one individual.

Enter The Saxophone New Works WIKI

The internet can serve as a better medium to keep us abreast of all the latest developments in our field. And I feel a Wiki is the ideal setting, since no one person needs to be the sole provider of information. The whole community can participate and become the ressource.
    An advantage of a Wiki is the open form of editing which it allows. If information is found to be incorrect or lacking in any way, it can be updated by others members of the Wiki community.
    This could also lead to some interesting discussions.
    I have created a protected Wiki, which will help prevent vandalism, which can be a problem in this type of site. To participate, simply join the group. (This is free). If you only wish to visit the Wiki, no problem since anyone can view the information which will be published there.

To make this a great resource, the saxophone community needs to participate. The more participants there are, the better a resource the site will become. We are all involved in one way or another in developing the repertoire for the saxophone. This can be an excellent method of expanding our knowledge and our exposure to the richness of our chosen art form.

I hope you will all participate and pass the word around so others will learn of this exciting feature.

Just click on the New Works WIKI in the menu bar when you visit my web site www.mulesrasch.com and enjoy.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    Join the Saxophone New Works WIKI to add your new saxophone pieces to the repertoire list.
    http://saxnewworks.wikispaces.com/
    ____

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Sax repertoire WIKI site

This is a spectacular idea and hopefully will be a much used resource. I will try to pass this along to my friends!

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent, excellent idea.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist C**, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told today by my professor that NASA is in the process of doing this as well to help tag onto the Londeix book. You (mulerasch) may want to get in touch with Steve Stusek or Griffin Campbell or someone on the NASA board to see if you could possibly collaborate (if that's in your interest, of course!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea!

Is it intended that this Wiki may become a repository of public domain saxophone works, or is it just intended to be a repository of information about saxophone works?

Stefan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefank
    Great idea!

Is it intended that this Wiki may become a repository of public domain saxophone works, or is it just intended to be a repository of information about saxophone works?

Stefan
    Interesting idea. I had not thought about this possibility. The initial intent was for a repository of information. I would need to think about the implications, time wise, of doing this.

As the site stands now, files can be downloaded to it, so if a member wanted to post a public domain work, I don't see any problem with that. In any case, I encourage posting links to any material which would be of interest to any particular piece.

For now, I'll just let it evolve as is and see where it leads us.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    Join the Saxophone New Works WIKI to add your new saxophone pieces to the repertoire list.
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bon idée! Why not make it a repository of information for all saxophone works, old and new? Public domain works of at least the orchestral scores to some of our greatest works would be great. I really hope this goes somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bezozzi
    I was told today by my professor that NASA is in the process of doing this as well to help tag onto the Londeix book. You (mulerasch) may want to get in touch with Steve Stusek or Griffin Campbell or someone on the NASA board to see if you could possibly collaborate (if that's in your interest, of course!).
    By the way, NASA always says they are going to do stuff to their site but they really never do. I've come across more problems with the site than it has been helpful. In an age where so many people use the web, the NASA site is really lacking behind and they should really just hire a professional instead of having Griffin Campbell do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Bon idée! Why not make it a repository of information for all saxophone works, old and new? Public domain works of at least the orchestral scores to some of our greatest works would be great. I really hope this goes somewhere.
    My intent was for this to happen. Whether or not this is what it becomes depends on the way the community replies to it. I have a lot of information which I intend to share, but it would be so much more efficient if everyone in the community gets involved.

As I said in my opening statement, the age of catalogues published the way Londeix has done is becoming less possible. This wiki would be a better alternative and more efficient I believe.

Where it really goes depends on everyone's input.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mulesrasch
    As I said in my opening statement, the age of catalogues published the way Londeix has done is becoming less possible. This wiki would be a better alternative and more efficient I believe.
    I couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I feel so strongly about this project, that I'm making a public request to the moderator to make this thread a sticky. This could become an invaluable resource and more people should be made aware of it. Other similar sites like CPDL and IMSLP come to mind but unfortunately the latter is temporarily down.

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy to sticky this--DONE! Hopefully, greater visibility will lead to more contributions to the wiki. It's a great idea, dynamic and evolving.
    JR
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the same as or different than the one announced by NASA? If different, any chance of merging the two efforts?

[Edit] I believe I've determined that this is the same one announced on the NASA listserv.
    After all these years, what do you practice?
    Sonny Rollins: Everything — but in no particular order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chitownjazz View Post
    Is this the same as or different than the one announced by NASA? If different, any chance of merging the two efforts?

[Edit] I believe I've determined that this is the same one announced on the NASA listserv.
    I did announce it on the NASA listserv, but this is not an official NASA project but one that I have personally undertaken.

I would have no objection to a collaboration with NASA (I am a regional director for the organization after all). Actually I encourage participation by all. But I believe that this is project should be truly international and not American-centred. The structure is up and running. There have already been several people from various countries who have contributed apart from myself. If NASA, as an organization, wanted to build another site, that would be redundant. Better to simply contribute to this site which I intend to keep free and non-commercial as much as is possible.

As an update, the site presently receives around 15 visitors a day. There are presently 98 pages set up which includes a full alphabetical index of composers. There are actually 30 composer pages up and it is steadily growing.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little update on the current status of the Wiki site.

Currently, there are 43 composers with pages up for a total of 332 pieces.

The month of March saw the average of visits per day slowly move up from around 20 to around 40.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a new update as to where the site stands.

Currently, there are 81 composers with pages up for a total of 805 pieces.

Visitors run to an average of 35 per day.
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to hear that it's growing and getting bigger and bigger. I've contributed entries to some of the staples of the repertoire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my monthly report of the state of the wiki site.

Currently, there are 102 composers with pages up for a total of 1015 pieces.

I have also started to introduce index of pieces by instrumentation. So far the following lists have been introduced.

Soprano Saxophone & Piano has 732 pieces listed.

Alto saxophone & piano has 65 pieces listed.

Tenor saxophone & piano has 1038 pieces listed.

Mixed Ensemble (5 or more instruments) has 6 pieces.

Symphony Orchestra (non concerto) has 2232 pieces listed.

Daily views for May averaged at around 60 with visitors averaging around 30 daily.

Of course, you can check all this out by visiting the Sax Repertoire WIKI site
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my monthly report of the state of the wiki site.

Currently, there are 111 composers with pages up for a total of 1,052 pieces.

Index of pieces by instrumentation contain the following lists:

Sopranino Saxophone & Piano has 2 pieces listed.

Soprano Saxophone & Piano has 734 pieces listed.

Alto saxophone & piano has 3,170 pieces listed.

Tenor saxophone & piano has 1,041 pieces listed.

Baritone saxophone & piano has 355 pieces listed.

Bass saxophone & piano has 16 pieces listed.

Mixed Ensemble (5 or more instruments) has 11 pieces.

Symphony Orchestra (non concerto) has 2,236 pieces listed.

Daily views for June averaged at around 60 with visitors averaging around 30 daily.

Of course, you can check all this out by visiting the Sax Repertoire WIKI site
    mulesrasch
    ___
    ____

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new cataloguing method for saxophone rep. is indeed needed. Very cool to see something coming of this! I will send an e-mail out to every saxophonist I know asking them to participate in some way.

best of luck with the site.
    Chris Condon

8th Army Band

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast