Sax effects with amplifiers - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sax effects with amplifiers

+1 for TCHelicon Voicelive, I have two of their 'Touch' models, one for sax, one for vocals. These you press fit into the mike stand when setting up pre-gig below the mic itself, and everything is by backlit touch control and led indicators, so much better than stompbox groping around on the floor to change settings. I use the sax one to add double and octave down to get a good soul sax section with baritone added to tenor. I use SM57s via the TC into the main desk. I find in-ear monitoring absolutely essential to hear exactly what the Helicon is putting through the PA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any opinions between the TC Helicon Voicelive Play and Boss VE-20? I'm looking at going with one of these, but can't decide which would be better. I know the VE-20 has a looper, but that's not super important to me. I could always pick up a TC Helicon Ditto Mic Looper later and add it on after the Voicelive.

FYI...I was looking at the Eventide MixingLink and doing individual guitar pedals, but that increases the cost and complexity more than I want right now. Also, I like the idea of presets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a VE-20 for 6 months but changed it for the TC Helicon VoiceLive (see post prior to yours); it's easier to set up pre- and at-gig, TCH has a good website with downloads and updates, and IMHO the TC gives a better set of effects. Unfortunately, it's more expensive...

Distinguished SOTW Member HeavyWeather77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love pedal threads. :-)

For what it's worth (and for anyone curious about using effects pedals on saxophone for live applications): I've been a big nerd for guitar effects pedals for a long time, and it took me many years to figure out how to effectively use them with my saxophone. Thanks to a magical little gadget called the VocoLoco, made by the excellent Canadian company Radial, I've been able to finally incorporate them into my rig without causing nightmarish gain issues. It's a preamp/DI with an effects loop built in so it's specifically designed for a microphone signal (vocals or horns) to loop in guitar effects cleanly and with lots of control over input and output volume, which can cause HUGE issues when putting live effects on horns.

(Things like the VoiceLive do the same thing, but with their built-in effects. I'm a sucker for stompboxes, and I collect them, so the VocoLoco has been my magic bullet, but a lot of people love the VoiceLive and other vocal multi-effect processors like it.)

A few months ago I made some demo videos for EarthQuaker Devices. They make some pretty amazing pedals that have become an integral part of the sound of my band, Progger. Here they be:

https://youtu.be/r4ySWn-aGqk
    https://youtu.be/Bxfs_enqK8c

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old TC Helicon Voicetone Create (now discontinued), which I bought second-hand for about US$150, has a couple chorus effects, and about a 100 others (delays, reverbs, flanges, various concert hall emulators, etc.). Don't think it has a harmonizer setting, however, and I don't know how it stands up against newer models generally. But it is a floor unit, with programmable presets that you can operate with your foot. I'll be putting it to its first live test next weekend with my new ska band, to try to simulate a horn section all by myself.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyWeather77 View Post
    Thanks to a magical little gadget called the VocoLoco, made by the excellent Canadian company Radial,
    Looks interesting, and I'm a fan of Radial - except, my radial products require 15v. Do you use the included power supply, or have you found a power supply for your pedal board that has a 15v output?
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jim! The VocoLoco does, indeed, use the annoying 15v power source. I use a VoodooLab power brick for my pedals but I have to use a separate outlet/adapter for the Radial, and then a third for my wireless receiver, so I always bring my trusty Furman surge protector with me. I would love it if the Radial were 9v or 18v! It's probably the only annoying thing about it. Maybe those zany Canadians have a good reason, I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using a TC Helicon for a year or so. Its a vocal thing, but it basically does harmonics, reverb or delay(?), doubling and some other secret sauce sound conditioning if you like. With lots of options. https://goo.gl/images/r6Z9NE I think there is a simpler/cheaper one out there for sax players but I bought it used, as a lark..wouldn't ever pay retail for something like this..its way more than I really need.

Its nice in certain settings but definitely can be very goofy if you let it. Finally figured out all the settings / buttons/ functions.

just a touch of "hall' reverb and a bit of harmonics and / or 'tone' and it adds a 'thing' to the sound of the band.

A little dab'l do ya
    ,,,overrated pleasures, underrated treasures...
    Come visit: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Track-Ligature Now new and improved!
    As well as: https://www.facebook.com/glovesgofar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyWeather77 View Post
    Maybe those zany Canadians have a good reason, I don't know.
    It's simple: 15v is metric for 18v.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    50 hz vs 60 hz? But wait, Canada is bilingual, shouldn't their products work with both?
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    I always get confused on the kilometervolt-to-milevolt conversion. Plus, 15 centigradevolts is WAY warmer than 18 fahrenheitvolts, so it all gets really confusing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2