Sax on the Web Forum banner

Steven Mauk's setup in Tenor Excursions?

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  saxophoneman76 
#1 ·
I simply love that sound...

#4 ·
DWoz5000 said:
I thought it said what he played in the liner notes on the very last page. If memory serves, I believe he played on a Mark VII (7!!!, not 6) and a medium chamber Caravan. But it's been a while since I looked at that...
That's roughly his alto setup on his CD "Distances Within Me". The "Tenor Excursions" CD is the only one that doesn't list his setup.

He sounds like he's playing on a Caravan tenor mpc, but that's just speculation. Ask Dr. Mauk for the real info -- he's always been helpful to me and my friends via email.

Angel

#7 ·
srcsax said:
More fun facts. Dr. Mauk's Yamaha 62 tenor once belonged to Stan Getz. Getz got it from Yamaha, but never gigged with it. Getz' duaghter sold the horn after his death.
I believe he is still playing the same setup. I sat next to Dr. Mauk at the Rascher Centennial in the saxophone ensemble and it appeared he was playing a 62 and a Caravan piece.

#8 ·
I was lucky enough to do my undergrad. with Steve Mauk. He is/was an amazing teacher and performer. I recently saw him at an Ithaca alumni event and we enjoyed a very friendly conversation :)

Dr. Mauk encouraged us all to try out the Caravan mouthpieces pared with a Rovner ligature... but I must admit I switched back to my C* on alto. On tenor, the Caravan works wonders for me; same on bari.

#10 ·
I just finished a degree at Ithaca College in saxophone performance...

Dr. Mauk has recommended to many students the Vandoren classical line up
Vandoren
SL3
Vandoren
AL3
Vandoren
TL3

Hope this helps... the important thing to remember is that the mouthpiece must work well for YOU.. don't just go with a mouthpiece because of a player, work in consultation with your private instructor to find one that works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.