Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: James Houlik Mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Seems like you need to SLOW DOWN and have the discussion with Prof. Houlik. This type of raw approach is likely to have the kind professor rethink whether to sell to the public (rather than, for instance, limit sales to students only).
    Agreed. There is a lot of variation in his pieces and being rude or in a hurry is NOT the way to do it. Remember, he's a saxophonist and NOT a mouthpiece factory. I think that he's looking at several different methods for distribution, but hasn't had time to figure this part out yet. In fact, I asked him if it was OK to promote his pieces on the board, and he said "yes". Let's not do something stupid and screw that up.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Rousseau NC3 (refaced by Joe Giardullo), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Unison Black Nickel Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how I'm being rude or in a hurry at all? I first sent an email being very polite asking about the tip opening, characteristics, price of his alto pieces, and after not getting a reply for two or so weeks, i re sent it. I got a reply from Mr. Houlik telling me to send him a cheque and his address.

Then I sent him an email asking him the price and tip opening again. I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all. How am I supposed to send him the cheque if he doesn't tell me the price?
    PB Bare Brass Vintage Tenor - Barone Hollywood 8
    Buescher Aristocrat Alto - Selmer Soloist-style .83

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twombles62 View Post
    I don't see how I'm being rude or in a hurry at all? I first sent an email being very polite asking about the tip opening, characteristics, price of his alto pieces, and after not getting a reply for two or so weeks, i re sent it. I got a reply from Mr. Houlik telling me to send him a cheque and his address.

Then I sent him an email asking him the price and tip opening again. I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all. How am I supposed to send him the cheque if he doesn't tell me the price?

Again, he's not a store. You may need to POLITELY remind him about what you wanted. You also need to respect the fact that he's very busy, and probably is having trouble keeping up here. Touring around the world takes it's toll!
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Rousseau NC3 (refaced by Joe Giardullo), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, he doesn't have paypal, and he wants a cheque. Don't think I'm going to be able to buy one anyway.

If anyone here is willing to sell me one of his alto pieces, please PM me.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twombles62 View Post
    Ah, he doesn't have paypal, and he wants a cheque. Don't think I'm going to be able to buy one anyway.

If anyone here is willing to sell me one of his alto pieces, please PM me.
    Good call.

Check out the E. Rousseau classical pieces for alto - highly regarded and less expensive still. In fact, I have a spare NC4 if you care to PM me.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll look to buy a Caravan Medium over a Rousseau. I know that they supposedly work very well on Yamaha's but they seem be very focused and bright for a classical piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found Mr. Houlik to be very accommodating. He told me about there only being one facing but to let him know of my preferences and he would pick out an adequate sample. What really impressed me, however, was that he sent out the mouthpiece even before I sent out the check.

I've been meaning to post a comparison to my 3C, and will get to it sometime soon.
    soprano: Selmer Serie II - Morgan Vintage 5 - Rovner Dark
    tenor: Selmer Serie III - Morgan 3C - Rovner Dark/Vandoren klassik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eighteenandoneLOL View Post
    I found Mr. Houlik to be very accommodating. He told me about there only being one facing but to let him know of my preferences and he would pick out an adequate sample. What really impressed me, however, was that he sent out the mouthpiece even before I sent out the check.

I've been meaning to post a comparison to my 3C, and will get to it sometime soon.
    I got the mouthpiece virtually before the check went out. Oddly however is that the check hasn't been cashed in after a month and a half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to my great mate awholley, one of Professor Houlik's alto mouthpieces should be making it's way over to oz. I'll post a review when I get it.

Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member qwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a few back and forth emails with Jim Houlik, I received one of his tenor pieces yesterday.

On visual inspection, the facing, tip rail, rails, chamber and table are very nicely finished.

I have just spent the last hour or so, playing with it and all I can say is wow.

This 'piece simply inspires confidence, and freedom. Freedom to be expressive, to play the low register softly with control, the high register with some intensity without getting whiney. It is even throughout the registers. Man. It is really good.

I have been playing tenor since the beginning of my saxophone days (39 years now) and after an hour, I am pretty sure this is my favorite classical tenor 'piece. We'll see what happens after first blush has worn off, but I am extremely excited about this .

I would characterize the tone as rich and full of overtones and colors... Is it darker than the Selmer Soloist D I had been playing on?? Brighter than the Caravan I played for a while?? Probably yes to both questions, but the sound just seems so much more alive and shape-able.

And for a price slightly over 100 dollars shipped? You kiddin' me?
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. -- F.Z.

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he would custom make one with an extra large chamber, like a buescher or rascher piece. That's a very good price for a quality hand faced mouthpiece, I think.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post
    I wonder if he would custom make one with an extra large chamber, like a buescher or rascher piece. That's a very good price for a quality hand faced mouthpiece, I think.
    The chamber on mine is pretty large, round and it has slightly excavated side walls. pretty open chambered to me.
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. -- F.Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, but I've heard that it's freeblowing and is similar to a Morgan 3C, and you just said it's brighter than a Caravan. I think it wouldn't really have the darkness and resistance I'm looking for. Do you think he could customize it? I would want it to be like a well faced vintage buescher... super large chamber, tiny tiny rollover baffle, tip opening around 0.050-0.055 (for alto).
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houlik doesn't make mouthpieces, nor does he do any work on them. Babbitt makes the Houlik mouthpieces, and Houlik play-tests and makes notes on each one.

Angel
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...
    ok. How come some of the facings are different then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, but I've heard that it's freeblowing and is similar to a Morgan 3C, and you just said it's brighter than a Caravan. I think it wouldn't really have the darkness and resistance I'm looking for. Do you think he could customize it? I would want it to be like a well faced vintage buescher... super large chamber, tiny tiny rollover baffle, tip opening around 0.050-0.055 (for alto).
    I get the feeling the tip opening on the Houlik tenor 'piece is rather large for classical tenor 'piece. My modified Soloist D is .080 and this feels larger, proportionally quite a bit larger than an alto .050-.055.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would require new molds, and that isn't going to happen. It's dark enough - you really need to try one before making a judgment.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, ok. I had thought for some reason that he was making them (like Ralph Morgan). I don't see how it's going to be well faced if it's coming from Babbit though ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houlik indicated to me earlier that there are two facings on the tenor mouthpiece and one facing on the alto mpc.

The more open facing on the tenor is what Houlik describes as "prime time" - similar to what he uses and finds ideal. He produces a less open facing for the "conservative" tenor player.

The alto facing was supposedly totally different, and inspired by Robert Scott's "Sinta facing". The two prototypes that I play-tested were similar in facing respectively to a standard Bob Scott "Sinta" facing and an exaggerated Sinta facing that Mr. Scott applied to one of my concert mouthpieces.

Angel
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now playing on the new Houlik piece. It is different from the old Bilger one i have played for 10 years in many respects.

The new ones ( i have two, tried six) play far better in tune. Actually, i wondered if my horn was ever going to be useful as a classical sax until i got these new pieces (Selmer Ref54), now i am very happy.

These pieces are not as in your face as the older ones, and have less edge. Warmer and open sounding, still the bold Houlik sound though.

I did noticed that each mouthpiece i tried was slightly different.
    Jim told me that there is a web sight in the works, paypal and the oportunity for the advanced player who knows what he wants to request certain characteristics in the mouthpiece (note: these are not all that extream, they will remain the Houlik design).

I believe that these tenor mouthpieces are everything we need in classical tenor playing. I can wisper on mine or play over an ensemble. Very well made, a lot of care went into this one.

I did not try the Alto pieces.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast