Sax on the Web Forum banner

James Houlik Mouthpieces

38K views 114 replies 31 participants last post by  J.Max 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd let everyone know about this...Professor Houlik has his mouthpieces ready for sale. I got one from him a few weeks ago, and it's awesome. (Which is why my signature has said "Top Secret Mouthpiece".) It's fairly free-blowing and nice and dark at the same time. The facing is excellent - a bit more open than a typical classical tenor piece, but still very controllable. He's trying each one that he sells and is trying to match the piece to the player. He's also very nice to deal with and the pieces are reasonably priced. You need to contact him via his website to get one...I'm not sure that he has retail channels set up yet.

If you play any classical tenor, you need to try one of these. (I think he has pieces for the other horns too.)

#70 ·
This is a little frustrating. I know the man must be busy but i've never had such trouble buying a mouthpiece. Any more reviews? I can't afford a Morgan ($250) so I'm hoping this will be a poor man's classical morgan :p

#75 ·
It's your choice - wait for a Houlik or pay more (and wait) for a Morgan. There are other choices out there as well. It's not like anyone is keeping you from playing.

FWIW, my Houlik mouthpiece shall not see the marketplace any time soon. It is excellent. I shall also not be so foolish to put my Morgan up either.

#71 ·
To balance out the thread...

I emailed Mr. Houlik regarding his mouthpiece and received a prompt and generously detailed reply.

He did mention two things that might be of interest:

1) He is doing a lot of touring at present
2) He is planning to have an online shopping cart w/paypal payment at some point

I don't believe he's trying to ignore anyone and I do think he realizes that in order to ramp up a business of any scale he will need a process that doesn't depend on individual contact with him. Just keep in mind... he's primarily a performer, not a music store owner.

#72 ·
Lets not forget, he is a performer first. He tours and does clinics. This is traditionally where he has sold his mouth pieces in the past. He has not advertised these for sell yet! It is US on SOTW that are ahead of the official release date.

He will have help in the future when the mouthpieces are ready in mass. Right now they are made in very small lots.
There will be an online store to purchase/order.
There will be someone to assist you.

But, lets not forget, right now this is one man who tours the world, teaches a 25 member studio, runs and entire university woodwind program, hires faculty, has several summer camps to work, clinics and master classes.

Of course we are not getting fast responses from him. The product has not been officially released and the "company" is just gearing up/forming.

So, be patient and it will all come together in time. He is a nice guy and loves your enthusiasm, but we arrived at his door a bit early.

#73 ·
Lets not forget, he is a performer first. He tours and does clinics. This is traditionally where he has sold his mouth pieces in the past. He has not advertised these for sell yet! It is US on SOTW that are ahead of the official release date.

He will have help in the future when the mouthpieces are ready in mass. Right now they are made in very small lots.
There will be an online store to purchase/order.
There will be someone to assist you.

But, lets not forget, right now this is one man who tours the world, teaches a 25 member studio, runs and entire university woodwind program, hires faculty, has several summer camps to work, clinics and master classes.

Of course we are not getting fast responses from him. The product has not been officially released and the "company" is just gearing up/forming.

So, be patient and it will all come together in time. He is a nice guy and loves your enthusiasm, but we arrived at his door a bit early.
Well said. I think he's pretty surprised at the "pre-sales".

#77 ·
I need to dedicate a new box of reeds to the testing but first cut seems to indicate better intonation in the upper range than the Bilger-Houlik pieces. Perhaps a lil' more chamber volume?

I just shot a collection of photos for Mouthpiece Museum with all three mouthpieces side-by-side (Houlik, Bilger-Houlik, Morgan w/ Zentera reface).

Even with older DC3s (broken in and played on the Morgan), the new Houlik 'piece just sings - clear, responsive, not too bright, certainly not dark... :D

"This one is just right" - Goldilocks

Just between you, me, and the world, I think Houlik could double the price and I'd still call it a great value.

#78 ·
Can someone help me out? I got a response for the original email and the Prof told me to send a cheque in the mail. I don't know what the tip opening is, or even the price! So, has anyone got an alto piece from him?

#80 ·
Seems like you need to SLOW DOWN and have the discussion with Prof. Houlik. This type of raw approach is likely to have the kind professor rethink whether to sell to the public (rather than, for instance, limit sales to students only).

#79 ·
When you send your check, describe the qualities of an alto mouthpiece that you prefer. His alto mpcs are just as variable, it seems, as his tenor mpcs.

BTW, this weekend, he is out in New Mexico performing the Concerto by Eric Ewazen.

Angel

#82 ·
I don't see how I'm being rude or in a hurry at all? I first sent an email being very polite asking about the tip opening, characteristics, price of his alto pieces, and after not getting a reply for two or so weeks, i re sent it. I got a reply from Mr. Houlik telling me to send him a cheque and his address.

Then I sent him an email asking him the price and tip opening again. I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all. How am I supposed to send him the cheque if he doesn't tell me the price?

#83 ·
Again, he's not a store. You may need to POLITELY remind him about what you wanted. You also need to respect the fact that he's very busy, and probably is having trouble keeping up here. Touring around the world takes it's toll!

#84 ·
Ah, he doesn't have paypal, and he wants a cheque. Don't think I'm going to be able to buy one anyway.

If anyone here is willing to sell me one of his alto pieces, please PM me.

#85 ·
Good call.

Check out the E. Rousseau classical pieces for alto - highly regarded and less expensive still. In fact, I have a spare NC4 if you care to PM me.

#86 ·
I think I'll look to buy a Caravan Medium over a Rousseau. I know that they supposedly work very well on Yamaha's but they seem be very focused and bright for a classical piece.

#87 ·
I found Mr. Houlik to be very accommodating. He told me about there only being one facing but to let him know of my preferences and he would pick out an adequate sample. What really impressed me, however, was that he sent out the mouthpiece even before I sent out the check.

I've been meaning to post a comparison to my 3C, and will get to it sometime soon.

#88 ·
I found Mr. Houlik to be very accommodating. He told me about there only being one facing but to let him know of my preferences and he would pick out an adequate sample. What really impressed me, however, was that he sent out the mouthpiece even before I sent out the check.

I've been meaning to post a comparison to my 3C, and will get to it sometime soon.
I got the mouthpiece virtually before the check went out. Oddly however is that the check hasn't been cashed in after a month and a half.

#90 ·
After a few back and forth emails with Jim Houlik, I received one of his tenor pieces yesterday.

On visual inspection, the facing, tip rail, rails, chamber and table are very nicely finished.

I have just spent the last hour or so, playing with it and all I can say is wow.

This 'piece simply inspires confidence, and freedom. Freedom to be expressive, to play the low register softly with control, the high register with some intensity without getting whiney. It is even throughout the registers. Man. It is really good.

I have been playing tenor since the beginning of my saxophone days (39 years now) and after an hour, I am pretty sure this is my favorite classical tenor 'piece. We'll see what happens after first blush has worn off, but I am extremely excited about this .

I would characterize the tone as rich and full of overtones and colors... Is it darker than the Selmer Soloist D I had been playing on?? Brighter than the Caravan I played for a while?? Probably yes to both questions, but the sound just seems so much more alive and shape-able.

And for a price slightly over 100 dollars shipped? You kiddin' me?;)

#93 ·
Well, but I've heard that it's freeblowing and is similar to a Morgan 3C, and you just said it's brighter than a Caravan. I think it wouldn't really have the darkness and resistance I'm looking for. Do you think he could customize it? I would want it to be like a well faced vintage buescher... super large chamber, tiny tiny rollover baffle, tip opening around 0.050-0.055 (for alto).

#96 ·
I get the feeling the tip opening on the Houlik tenor 'piece is rather large for classical tenor 'piece. My modified Soloist D is .080 and this feels larger, proportionally quite a bit larger than an alto .050-.055.

#99 ·
Houlik indicated to me earlier that there are two facings on the tenor mouthpiece and one facing on the alto mpc.

The more open facing on the tenor is what Houlik describes as "prime time" - similar to what he uses and finds ideal. He produces a less open facing for the "conservative" tenor player.

The alto facing was supposedly totally different, and inspired by Robert Scott's "Sinta facing". The two prototypes that I play-tested were similar in facing respectively to a standard Bob Scott "Sinta" facing and an exaggerated Sinta facing that Mr. Scott applied to one of my concert mouthpieces.

Angel

#100 ·
I am now playing on the new Houlik piece. It is different from the old Bilger one i have played for 10 years in many respects.

The new ones ( i have two, tried six) play far better in tune. Actually, i wondered if my horn was ever going to be useful as a classical sax until i got these new pieces (Selmer Ref54), now i am very happy.

These pieces are not as in your face as the older ones, and have less edge. Warmer and open sounding, still the bold Houlik sound though.

I did noticed that each mouthpiece i tried was slightly different.
Jim told me that there is a web sight in the works, paypal and the oportunity for the advanced player who knows what he wants to request certain characteristics in the mouthpiece (note: these are not all that extream, they will remain the Houlik design).

I believe that these tenor mouthpieces are everything we need in classical tenor playing. I can wisper on mine or play over an ensemble. Very well made, a lot of care went into this one.

I did not try the Alto pieces.

#101 ·
i ordered a MPC from Mr. HOulik 3 weeks ago and he said he would send it out before he left for his tour in china. I think he may have forgotten or something because it's been 3 weeks since the check went out.

Does anyone know where he is? Is he on tour or doing that Wild Acres thing right now?

#104 ·
I just bought one of these last week out of desperation, since I hate my S80 C* and my custom Brilhart doesn't quite cut it (although, it does get a great classical-style sound, just a little too much buzz), and the concerto competition audition is coming up in a couple weeks...

It arrived today in the mail. I was so excited that despite my 6 hours of practice already today, I threw 'er on my horn and gave 'er a blow.

From the very first note, I fell in love. By far the greatest classical 'piece I've ever tried, better than any Selmer or Vandoren 'piece I've tried (a LOT of them). Sound is beautifully dark yet focused and colorful, free-blowing, low notes are cake, shaping and voicing the sound is cake, altissimo is cake (compared to other classical 'pieces), responds easy, staccatos no problem at all, HUGE dynamic range. Couldn't be happier. :D

VERY highly recommended, especially for people who hate C*'s.

#106 ·
Really? That's a little strange... It could be your horn. Sometimes my low notes are difficult when my horn hasn't been adjusted in a while. So far, haven't had a single problem with the balance. Still love the 'piece, even works well as a dark jazz piece (Like a Selmer Soloist or a Brilhart Personaline Hard Rubber)!

I hope you figure out what's wrong, and if you can't, try emailing James Houlik about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.