Sax on the Web Forum banner

The contrabass to tubax thread

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mal 2 
#1 ·
ITs time for you nut ppl to answer the question that everyone has. Ppl who want to ask post a question and ask them

1.What songs call for that contrabass and tubax.

2. How expensive was it

3. Is it heavy

#6 ·
The tubax has other uses. At Montclair State University, my tubax is being used in the wind symphony playing contrabassoon parts, with great effect. Tomorrow the Cowell Hymn and Fuguing Tune is being played with Tubax, and the next day our saxophone ensemble is performing with three works including tubax.
A recording of the Cowell with tubax will be released in the fall.

Paul Cohen

#8 ·
It's a lot more portable than a regular contrabass, and I think that contributes greatly to its relative popularity. It's somewhere between saxophone and sarrusophone in cone angle and tone, and resembles a sarrusophone in construction, but plays like a sax.

Since there aren't that many used contrabasses floating around, and the cost of a new Tubax and new contrabass are similar, I think Eppelsheim has put himself in a pretty good position -- a niche market he can actually keep up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.