Conn New Wonder Owners Club. Any with rolled tone holes. - Page 10
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music

View Poll Results: Which of these do you own?

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Series I New Wonder With Rolled Tone Holes

123 36.28%
  • Series II New Wonder

147 43.36%
  • Transitional not 6M or 10M Models

64 18.88%
  • Sopranino

6 1.77%
  • Soprano

42 12.39%
  • Alto

117 34.51%
  • C-Melody

43 12.68%
  • Tenor

71 20.94%
  • Bari

27 7.96%
  • Bass

7 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Conn New Wonder Owners Club. Any with rolled tone holes.

I used to have a Conn NW Bari from around 1926. It was restored when I got it and looked great with the matt silver finish and the gold wash bell. People would comment on it at gigs. I was playing in a salsa band and the sound man used to turn me up in the mix as he was digging the sound of the bari with those low notes.

I played it for 10 years but never could get comfortable with the spread of the right hand keys so I sold it on ebay for what turned out to be a cheap price. I should have kept it and had the keywork modified and the octave pip modified to improve the intonation around the middle E as posted about by someone a few years ago.

I may rejoin the club again one day with a 6 or 10M.
    Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I allowed in with a Pan Am tenor that has (nearly) all the keywork/look of a NW II. It mechanically and physically nearly perfect; that matte silver nickle. Im truthfully not wild about the spreadness in many settings; and after it got worked up the dudes at Rayburns where it got some work done here in Boston raved about its sound/etc. If there is an electric guitar within 100 yards, you better choose a different weapon, or a killer mpc. But it can knock down walls!

PS- I moved the strap ring a couple of years ago, down exactly 1.5 inches. Is there any real consensus that this is truly a NET plus? I think it might mess up some aspects of 'grip' and hand position/motion; not worth it to be rid of the Conn Cobra effect? Has anyone gone back to the original spot after having moved it down?

BT
    ,,,overrated pleasures, underrated treasures...
    Come visit: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Track-Ligature Now new and improved!
    As well as: https://www.facebook.com/glovesgofar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shall now ask an exceptionally foolish question, but as a NW1 alto owner, where might I find a champagne cork to throw into the bell to see if it smooths out my motorboating low B / Bb ?

I suppose I could buy and drink a bottle of champagne. But then I'd need something to celebrate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you after changing mouthpieces I do not have the motorboat sound. Just need to find the right one.
    1925 Conn New Wonder II Alto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P Doyle View Post
    I can tell you after changing mouthpieces I do not have the motorboat sound. Just need to find the right one.
    For fun, I tossed the mouthpiece cap in there today, which worked! -- I guess if I buy a new mouthpiece, I can put the entire old mouthpiece in the bow... that's what you meant, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jardeon View Post
    For fun, I tossed the mouthpiece cap in there today, which worked! -- I guess if I buy a new mouthpiece, I can put the entire old mouthpiece in the bow... that's what you meant, right?
    I mean try playing your sax using another mouthpiece and it may solve your problem with motorboating as it did for me.
    If you are playing a New Wonder alto, there are a couple of inexpensive mouthpieces that generally work for many people. For example mouthpieces like a Meyer number 5 may work for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P Doyle View Post
    I mean try playing your sax using another mouthpiece and it may solve your problem with motorboating as it did for me.
    If you are playing a New Wonder alto, there are a couple of inexpensive mouthpieces that generally work for many people. For example mouthpieces like a Meyer number 5 may work for you.
    The humor didn't translate well to "internet" ...

My first hope would be to solve it without resorting to tricks. Either through better air support, embouchure control or mouthpiece upgrade. The piece on there currently is a Conn Eagle hard rubber, could be original to the sax. I've actually got a Rico Graftonite B5 in the mail on its way here right now, for the sake of trying something different. If it persists past that change, I should probably test a few other pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, sorry, wasn't sure where you were going with that.
    I have researched mouthpieces and tried a few, even some metal pieces.. I stumbled on an old beat up Brilhart Ebolin*3 with a small chip in the facing and I made it sound great.
    Hope the Rico your waiting for does it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to follow up on this, I did experience less of that low note motorboating with the Rico Graftonite B5, but unfortunately, the smaller chamber compared to the vintage horn meant that even with the mouthpiece pulled all the way out (and with the microtuner screwed almost all the way out) I was still a semitone sharp across the entire range (C coming out as C#, etc).

I'm probably going to need to look into some other choices for a mouthpiece for the NW1 Alto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely had a similar issue with 'motorboating' on the low B/Bb on my tenor tranny, more air support fixed it though - so i guess it was just me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following up on my own comments, I've spent the summer taking lessons with a private teacher, and come to find out that part of the issue was that I wasn't taking enough of the mouthpiece in my mouth, and was essentially choking off my air, particularly noticeable on the lower notes. Since seeking some instruction, I've almost completely eliminated that motorboating issue in the low notes. Putting a plastic mouthpiece cap in the bell also helps, if I'm being lazy, but 99% of it just comes down to making sure I'm not cheating the saxophone out of air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a 1926-27 (189xxx) NWII Silver w/Gold-wash bell from an estate sale about 6 years ago. They claimed it had been in a closet for about 40 years. It was in the original case which was so moldy that I threw it away and had all of the accessories including an Conn Eagle mpc. No dents or dings either. I had it repadded and washed along with other minor fixes. It has great action, intonation (with a little help), big sound and is beautiful. Took me a while to get used to the paddle keys though. I ended up using a Link Tone Edge 6 with Francoise-Louis Pure Brass ligature and Fiberreed Carbon medium reeds. Love my horn!
    conn_fullview.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chu

I just got a New Wonder Series I alto (14XXXX) a couple weeks ago...It was played very little and has what looks like original pads....I'm in the process of cleaning her up and will be looking , I'm sure, for some advise and comments from you educated Conn folk...She has a beautiful Matte silver finish with that gold inner bell..I'll post some pics next time .New to the Forum thing but am excited for this new project....Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought yesterday a New Wonder I tenor (93XXX), silver, with gold inner bell, and really really really beautiful. It has a powerful and strong sound, I think my neighbours will hate me. But I'm in love.

The pics (they're from the add I got it, my camera sucks ):

Internet made me afraid of it playing out of tune... But no way! It's reaaaally centered, as the yamaha I was playing previously, but easier to play in the higher notes. It's a little bit strange to play, should say, but totally worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AgustinCB View Post
    I bought yesterday a New Wonder I tenor (93XXX), silver, with gold inner bell, and really really really beautiful. It has a powerful and strong sound, I think my neighbours will hate me. But I'm in love.

The pics (they're from the add I got it, my camera sucks ):

Internet made me afraid of it playing out of tune... But no way! It's reaaaally centered, as the yamaha I was playing previously, but easier to play in the higher notes. It's a little bit strange to play, should say, but totally worth it.
    Wow! She sure is a looker. Bet she sounds as good.
    Congrats on your purchase!!!
    Conn 10M #272XXX - Allen 20TD, Brilhart Ebolin, White Brilhart Streamline 7*, Dukoff D9 Miami
    depending on the weather and the mood.
    Conn New Wonder #144XXX tenor: Brilhart Hard Rubber 4*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just acquired a C mel straight neck in brass. #101xxx. Like the tenor above, it has no microtuner. Was this an option, as most of the horns at that time had them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a nickle plated series 1 c-melody ,straight neck with micro tuner, with very old Buescher m/p ,and original case . Serial 131xxx. It has had a re-pad which looks as though it was done years ago but none appear to be leaking. Can't see any repairs or dings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vetinari; 06-27-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish I actually looked at the stickies closer before I posted a new thread title. Forgive the n00b please?!

Anyway, I just got a chu alto, silver plate, and so far love it! It will need a little work though, some bumpers are worn and the action is uneven. But it plays, and I can't complain after getting it for under 300!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re : Conn New Wonder Owners Club. Any with rolled tone holes.

Hello!!! What brand do play with your tenor NW I?! Mine is from 1924.
    It doesn't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)..." Duke ELLINGTON

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a year and a half ago, I was fortunate to receive as a gift two soprano saxophones from the estate of a well-known trad-jazz soprano sax player. One was a Selmer MKVI from 1959 and the other was a Conn New Wonder II straight from 1927.

Since then, I had both gifted sopranos overhauled and they both play great. These two horns add to what I already had on hand . . . a '72 MVI, a Yanagisawa curved SC902, and a 1926 Martin straight.

But as each day goes by and I play them in ensembles and in practice, the '27 Conn NWII is standing taller and taller in comparison. There is just something about the feel and the response of this Con NWII that sets it apart from the others. The tone, the clarity of sound, the response from top to bottom, and yes, even the scale (which may not be quite as accurate as the MKVI's but close enough), set this horn above the others. This is the first of many Conns that I've owned that speaks to me (just like my two MKVI's - better than most). I really enjoy the thing. DAVE
    Dave