Conn New Wonder Owners Club. Any with rolled tone holes.

View Poll Results: Which of these do you own?

Voters
345. You may not vote on this poll
  • Series I New Wonder With Rolled Tone Holes

123 35.65%
  • Series II New Wonder

152 44.06%
  • Transitional not 6M or 10M Models

66 19.13%
  • Sopranino

6 1.74%
  • Soprano

42 12.17%
  • Alto

120 34.78%
  • C-Melody

43 12.46%
  • Tenor

72 20.87%
  • Bari

27 7.83%
  • Bass

7 2.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conn New Wonder Owners Club. Any with rolled tone holes.

Which of these do you own? There have been other clubs like this, so hey what the heck?

Post your finish that you have on it as well please. Thank you.

Oh, and pix as well.

_________

Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a 238xxx art deco engraved transitional chu tenor. best sax I own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverselmer
    I own a 238xxx art deco engraved transitional chu tenor. best sax I own.
    Can you post a picture? I would really like to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Nickel Chu, and Satin Silver New Wonder I, and a Floral engraving Transitional.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NP Curved Sop (1920) with 3 RTHs (bow only)
    SP Csop
    BGP Cmel (Artist Engraving)
    Tranny (1933) 12M chemically stripped to bare brass

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is $1000 for a near mint series 2 c-mel a good steal?

may need little work.

want to know before i get it if i'm being ripped
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer
    is $1000 for a near mint series 2 c-mel a good steal?

may need little work.

want to know before i get it if i'm being ripped
    Everything else being equal, the finish on the Cmel will be the largest determining factor regarding how much it is worth. Silver Plate is the most common. Bare Brass and Nickle Plate were "lesser" finishes back in the day, but because they are more rare, that can command more money. You'll pay substantially more for Silver-Plate with Gold-Plated keys and rods. The next jump up will be for a Satin Gold-Plated model. Next will be the Burnished Gold Plate with "Artist Engraving". The most expensive model will be the "Virtuoso Deluxe", which means it will be Burnished Gold Plate, "Artist Engraving", engraving up the body, and pearls on all key-touches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought a Tranny alto (243XXX) in satin silver, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm seriously tempted to check out a NW I I saw in silver and gold the other day, but it all depends what I think of the Tranny when it gets here...
    Zephyr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSax
    I just bought a Tranny alto (243XXX) in satin silver, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm seriously tempted to check out a NW I I saw in silver and gold the other day, but it all depends what I think of the Tranny when it gets here...

If you don't want it, I am sure that I could give you an irresistable offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuBerry47
    If you don't want it, I am sure that I could give you an irresistable offer.
    Well, what do you think of your NW I alto? Are the ergos all that bad compared to the Tranny? How's the sound? Etc...I seriously might pick one up if I can find it cheap enough.

And, we'll see...
    Zephyr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alto: silver NW II 229xxx

tenor: silver NW II 211xxx

The tenor belonged to my Great Uncle Bob, who was likely the original owner. My first, and still favorite horn. A gift for the ages......

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though the altos and tenors had rolled tone holes when my bari was made, they hadn't quite gotten around to fitting the big boys with 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She looks purty. What work have you had to do to her? What kind of pads do you have on her?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bari used to be the "trash can with a mouthpiece", until I polished it a bit. It's actually still a bit ugly in person, but from the right angle...
    Anyhow, I never put much money into this horn and most of the pads are the old rivet style ones. Since I've been working it into more gigs, I've toyed with the idea of going to Noyeks (like my 10M), but it's not high on my list of priorities. A past tech mangled the neck loop, but I had it corrected and strengthened since. The biggest hurdle was getting it to play in tune, as it will blow sharp with just about any modern styled mouthpiece. RPC's are a bit longer though, and with their larger chamber I was able to end a mouthpiece hunt that spanned three years.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I have a NW I alto in gold lacquer, NW I alto in gold plate, NW chu soprano in silver, NW chu tenor in gold plate. The altos are for sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to this whole appraising thing so I don't really know how much my sax is worth. But I have a bare brass C-Melody sax, I don't know how much it's worth, but can you guys shed me some light? It's got one of those little tuner things on the neck. I think it pretty much needs just a whole new set of pads and neck cork, but yeah, can anyone let me know the history or price or whatever? Thankz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conn straight neck C Melody saxophones seem to be favored over the curved ones, but as they're basically obsolete horns with no modern voice and no ensemble music written specifically for them, they sometimes won't even get bid up to $200 on Ebay unless they're in mint condition or a special gold plated model which would attract collectors. There are folks here that still celebrate them, but they're an extreme minority. It would probably cost you two to three times its worth to have it overhauled.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps
    Conn straight neck C Melody saxophones seem to be favored over the curved ones, but as they're basically obsolete horns with no modern voice and no ensemble music written specifically for them, they sometimes won't even get bid up to $200 on Ebay unless they're in mint condition or a special gold plated model which would attract collectors. There are folks here that still celebrate them, but they're an extreme minority. It would probably cost you two to three times its worth to have it overhauled.
    An item's "worth" is determined by the desire of those in the market and the supply available. I'm one of those few that "celebrate" them and as such have purchased and traded a few C horns. What I know is that there is a growing niche of pros, especially in Europe, starting to use these for jazz combo work (and the like). Non-pros tend to use them for things like playing in Church. (I'm being overly simplistic here. I'm just refuting Grump's suggesting that they have *no* modern voice.) Regardless, horns that were once thought completely useless are now seeing an increasing price value; all you have to do is find someone who wants to pay that price.

In the last several years I've purchased a few C horns from Bear at Cybersax.com. During that time his prices have started to really go up. ...and these prices are just a reflection of the market. (Yes it's a niche market, but there still are a finite number of excellent carcasses out there and as the niche grows, the supply continues to dwindle.)

FWIW - I paid a little over $300 for a bare-brass straight-neck Conn (in carcass condition) last year. My hope is to get it playable at some point to have as a back-up to my BGP Cmel. I would *not* have paid that much, in that condition, if it were silver-plated. At the same time, I used to own a mint silver-plated with gold-plated keys and rods straight-neck Conn that roared. It was "worth" $2000 both to me back when I purchased it and when I sold it so I could "trade-up" to my current BGP model. ....I don't even want to tell you what my BGP cost, but I know that I've already made money on it should I ever have to sell it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Tranny

Is nickel plated. It can still be seen on Junkdude's web site.

Channelback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Chu

ChuBerry47:

I inherited a 1929 229xxx Conn New Wonder Series II, (I believe) in silver plate. I'll try to attach a couple photo's. It has been a joy to learn to play this instrument. I have heard it played by a pro and it was amazing!!! I will be sending it out soon for an overhaul, but due to the sentimental value, I would like a top notch job done. Do you know anyone that could do the standard Conn reso-pad overhaul??

The 1st photo is my late great uncle William playing the horn with his buddies circa 1940. The 2nd photo is a recent shot of the horn.
    Regards,

Oh, I forgot to mention, I just bought a 1931 transitional tenor in silver plate with the art deco engraving.
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Last edited by Scott C; 06-28-2008 at 03:30 AM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast