Sax on the Web Forum banner

Terrible player giving sax a bad rap?

7K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  DanPerezSax 
#1 · (Edited)
There is a fellow in our church who is musically inclined, and plays many instruments (not only sax). He has access to nearly evey type of sax made and has played most in our church. My wife hits me constantly when he plays solos or in small ensembles as I find myself grimacing and flinching through his pieces.

Two things really stand out to me: 1) No attention to the temperature of the horn before he plays, so he starts horribly out of tune until his horn warms up (can't he hear that?!)
2) No dynamic variation, except perhaps from loud to louder (maybe this explains #1).

I'm concerned that the congregation will begin to dislike having sax solos based on the poor musicianship I see when he picks up his sax. (we're the most consistant instrumental soloists, maybe 1 time every 6 weeks for him and twice a year for me)

As you can see by my signature, I'm no ace, but I was taught not to play above my ability. I receive praise after I play and from different people in the congregation each time (that I redirect to our Lord and Saviour, as it certainly is not because I practiced enough to perform flawlessly).

Should I be concerned, or bow out to avoid an over-saxed congregation? I can hear the comments comming (let's hear something else, enough sax already, doesn't anyone else play a different instrument...)

Right now, I'm dying to prepare O Come, O Come Emmanuel for the holiday season, but I also know he'll be playing something, if not more than once as well.

[Edit: Ok, he's not terrible, so maybe it should have been "questionable"]

Thoughts?:?
In Christ,

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.