Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member Aldevis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Schagerl Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Thanks. I still cannot find their model 66 (that should be the professional one) but I have an idea about the others.
    New album now available!
    Disclaimer: I endorse Sequoia tenor saxophones but I manage to keep independent opinions.
    I proudly support Pete's fundraising store

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quick review of Schagerl Academica Superior T-GM tenor

Hoping to find something I like better than my Yamaha YTS-23, I finally bought a Schagerl Academica Superior T-1GM tenor from Otrie at Chuck Levins Washington Music Center in Wheaton Maryland (just north of DC...you can take the red line) a few months back (early June?). This is the higher of the two levels of "Academicas" they have; not sure if they carry the cheaper one but in any case I didn't try it. I am quite happy with it overall. Levins is an excellent shop (I had a good experience getting some studio monitors for someone else there, too). I played the "professional" 66 model too--- I think it was used--- and liked this better. It felt less sluggish under the fingers, a little more flexible and easier to play...also for controlling the tone with embouchure, seemed easier and more varied tonally. Besides the Schagerl Academica and Schagerl 66 I also played a Mark VI, an SA-80 pre-Jubilee, a P Mauriat 66RUL while I was there (all used). There was no obvious setup flaw in any of these horns, they all played well, but I liked the Academica best. The Mauriat was an awesome horn too, I had trouble choosing between it and the Academica. Mauriat had definitely a different sound...more grainy, more open. Both of these horns were somewhat under $2000 US. My dad was there with me and when I asked him which one of the five or six horns he liked best, he said thought I played best on the Academica. I found the action a bit easier to deal with than the Mark VI, especially going chromatically through the Eb key, quite smooth on the Schagerl, key travel seemed a bit much on the Selmer (noticed this on the other Mk VI I played recently too). Tone just slightly more veiled and "complex" than the Mk VI and Mauriat, but still easy to get an "edge" on it, and relatively free-blowing. Perhaps slightly less free-blowing than the Selmer and the Mauriat. I felt the Selmer was a bit like a flywheel that is really loud when kicked up, and really rings rather than damping down quickly, but took a little too much effort/time to spin up to full power, and seemed a bit harder to control than the Schagerl and the Mauriat. Even at the same price either of these horns seemed like a better fit for me than either of the Mk VI's I've tried recently, and the Mk VI wasn't the same price...

I have since played, though I don't own, another SA-80, this one a Jubilee... I also like it a lot. I think those who say the Schagerl is basically an SA-80 clone are correct. I suspect Schagerl goes to some trouble to make sure their Taiwanese mfr. does a good job on their stuff. Whether they put finishing touches on in Austria, I don't know. Otrie seemed to imply that the pro model was made in Austria but I guess that probably involves assembly from a Taiwan-made tube and maybe other Taiwan parts. I really don't know, or care too much. So far, it seems that quality control is pretty good, and shows in this horn. Intonation seems quite good to me, though I sometimes think maybe I have a little trouble with the C#/Db being a tad flat relative to other notes. Also I sometimes need to take a little bit of care to get the high palm key notes (Eb on up, mainly the F but occasionally even the D) to sound... they can come out about a third low and choked occasionally if I jump up to them... this could well be an adjustment issue, e.g. some pad needs to be higher? The sax has a high F# key, incidentally.

Overall, I love this horn. It's got more body and edge than the Yamaha, but is not brittle or sluggish, and the ergonomics are quite good. Tone seems to me quite malleable, which is a good thing. Maybe I will do a blind listening test with them sometime.

I have some hard rubber Links (modern "vintage style" slant tonedges) that sound a bit stuffy and are a bit hard to play on the Yamaha, that sound better and are easier to play on the Schagerl. I have changed back to them since I bought the Schag.

There is supposedly a dealer in Texas too but I didn't manage to find them, online anyway. Levins has a website. Incidentally Levins repair unit seems excellent too... I left a Yamaha alto with them because it needed a cork for one of the palm keys... they did it for free since it was such a small job, and also pointed out some non-level pads resulting from a recent repad that I had done elsewhere. I could see the issues, and indeed had felt my hands aching after playing it, possiblly from having to press the keys down a little harder because of the pad issues--- I don't think they were baselessly trying to run down my tech, though they suggested I take it back to the tech who did the repad to fix the issues.

If you're within a few hours drive of the Wheaton MD / Washington DC area I urge you to check out these saxes (and the other stuff Levins' has to offer). Great value for money... and for my taste, this is a just plain great sax even ignoring monetary considerations. Your taste / hands / embouchure may be different, so you should compare a bunch of different saxes... but put this one on your list to try if you can.
    Learn to work the saxophone, I'll play just what I feel
    Drink scotch whisky in moderation, and stay out from behind the wheel

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quick review of Schagerl Academica Superior T-GM tenor

Thanks for the review. It sounds like you've found a really nice tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfSoul View Post
    …I think those who say the Schagerl is basically an SA-80 clone are correct.…
    Makes sense. It seems that most Taiwanese and Chinese saxophones are copies of SA-80/serie11 or Yanagisawa saxophones.
    Life is too short for long tones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played an unlacquered one at the Sax Symposium at GMU, and I really liked it. It was a killer horn, but it was a loaner that wasn't for sale. I played a couple of the other display models that I didn't care for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wtsax View Post
    I played an unlacquered one at the Sax Symposium at GMU, and I really liked it. It was a killer horn, but it was a loaner that wasn't for sale. I played a couple of the other display models that I didn't care for.
    I'm curious, which model Schagerl horn did you play? Were the others Schagerls that you didn't care for, or other manufacturers' horns?
    Learn to work the saxophone, I'll play just what I feel
    Drink scotch whisky in moderation, and stay out from behind the wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was the 66.

http://www.schagerl.com/en/Sax-Model...nu-id-205.html

I tried other finishes, but didn't like them. I don't remember if they were all the same model. The best horn that I played that day was a Yani Silver tenor. 9930? I only tried tenors that day. The schagerl was around $1800? It's been a while. The Yani was 4-5x that price.

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a Shagerl 66 low A bari at Chuck Levins today (I came in to check out an old Buescher), back to back with my Cannonball stone series bari.... and WOW!!!

Huge, fat and beefy vintage-y tone (well, at least closer to Mark VI bari's I've tried than my CB is). Great intonation. Very solid key action, but didn't seem quite as robust as my CB*. The $5200 price tag for an obscure Taiwan make was a bit of a head-scratcher (and makes it a non-starter), but if I ever come across one like today's specimen used for $3k or less, I'm all over it.

*In fairness, might have been the (lack of) setup.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

Live gig sound clips

Forum Contributor 2014-2015 clunkertruck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried some Model 66 and Academica Superior altos, I bought the Academica Superior A1K wich has the body in copper. It's a great horn, with a powerful and round sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old thread, I know, but FWIW:

I've been playing an Eastman 642 straight soprano for the last couple of months. It was a rental upgrade from a local shop--the original horn I had was a POS and sounded like a dying cat no matter what mouthpiece or reed combo i used, and it had quite a few problems with leaks and sticky keys. So they gave me the Eastman as a replacement.

This is only relevant because I went to Chuck Levin's today to play test a Schagerl dual neck soprano in bronze (Academica Superior series). The short of it is it's a clone of a Yani SS992. Surprisingly, it sounded good. Really good, much better than the Eastman that I've been using (I recorded a few scales on both horns and played them later to hear if and what differences there were between to the two horns). Simply put, I sounded like me when I played. Everything just seemed to line up when I played the Schagerl: ergonomics were right, action was smooth and efficient, sound was darker than the Eastman, and it projected well.

I've also played Martin and Selmer sopranos in the past, and the Schagerl would easily hold its own in a shootout with more established Taiwanese manufacturers, or the Big 4. I say this having also play tested the Yani SS992 as well. The only difference I could tell was the price: the Schagerl is about $1800 before tax, making the Yani (at nearly $5K) about 2.5 times the cost of the Schagerl.

It may not be for everyone, but for me and the sound I'm looking for, it will more than work until I decide to move up to a different horn.

Tyler
    Tyler
    Circa 1919 King 1002 Bb Soprano
    Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* Vandoren V16 2 reeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a Model 66 vintage finish tenor yesterday and was absolutely blown away. I bought a Selmer Serie III tenor a couple of months ago and was VERY happy with it....until yesterday. As some of you may have read about previously, I've been looking for my "perfect" tenor for over 10 years now and thought I'd found it in the Serie III but the Schagerl was better in EVERY respect. I'm now seriously considering selling the Serie III so that I can buy a Schagerl.....I'm that impressed. I even called my local dealer last night to get more info and will hopefully get a call back later today.
    SAXES: Soprano: Yanagisawa S880 with Theo Wanne HR Gaia 11 | Alto: Yamaha YAS62 "Purple Logo" with Theo Wanne HR & metal Durga 9 | Tenor: Selmer Serie III (with Warburton Modular Neck) & B&S Medusa with Theo Wanne metal Durga 9 & 10MFAN Boss 9* | WIND CONTROLLERS: Yamaha WX5 & AKAI EWI4000S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played my friend's Schagerl soprano recently and it was pretty nice. How free-blowing it was stood out for me (maybe because my newly acquired second hand antigua has some leaks still). He said that he played it against three Series III's before he bought it and that it outplayed two of them.
    Keilwerth SX90 Alto - Acoustimax 7
    1937 Martin Handcraft Standard Tenor - MACSAX Aura
    Antigua SS4290-RLQ Soprano - Metalite M7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also this.

Keilwerth SX90 Alto - Acoustimax 7
    1937 Martin Handcraft Standard Tenor - MACSAX Aura
    Antigua SS4290-RLQ Soprano - Metalite M7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Taiwanese made, for the most part, they are great horns.

However, I just came into a vintage King soprano and will be spending the money I was saving for the Schagerl on an overhaul of the King and some work on a tenor I just got.

I love the sound of the Schagerl, but I love the playability and tone of my King more.
    Tyler
    Circa 1919 King 1002 Bb Soprano
    Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* Vandoren V16 2 reeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a Schagerl soprano & Bari at the Sax Symposium @ GMU last weekend...really liked both

I was told that Schagerl basically duplicated their Austrian factory in Taiwan ( or wherever ) instead of having someone make the horns for them...so they still have close control over how the horns are made

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are many legends in this world and many whom claim ownership of factories where they simply buy from.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    there are many legends in this world and many whom claim ownership of factories where they simply buy from.
    If there were as many factories in Taiwan as companies who claimed to have factories there, the entire country would be covered in saxophone factories and it would be their number one export.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist C**, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed, especially if all the people importing Taiwanese saxophones claiming “ partnership or ownership” of the company where they buy saxophones would be telling the truth.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maddcow View Post
    I played a Model 66 vintage finish tenor yesterday and was absolutely blown away. I bought a Selmer Serie III tenor a couple of months ago and was VERY happy with it....until yesterday. As some of you may have read about previously, I've been looking for my "perfect" tenor for over 10 years now and thought I'd found it in the Serie III but the Schagerl was better in EVERY respect. I'm now seriously considering selling the Serie III so that I can buy a Schagerl.....I'm that impressed. I even called my local dealer last night to get more info and will hopefully get a call back later today.

Cliff hanger.....so.....did you?
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast