Schagerl Saxophones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Schagerl Saxophones

Has anyone head about this brand? Schagerl is an Austrian company, which is though mostly known for producing trumpets, but recently it started producing saxophones as well.
    I wonder if anyone has this brand, if so, could tell me how satisfied you are with it?
    Thank you!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mato: Welcome to SOTW. No, I have not heard of this brand of saxophone. However, when I read that a maker of brass instruments (meaning brasswinds) suddenly starts making saxophones, I'm curious.

Does the saxophone have the country of origin stamped on it (or the accompanying paperwork)?

Would I be overly suspicious if I guessed that the Austrian company merely contracted with Taiwanese saxophone makers for a bunch of saxophones with the Austrian company's name? Not that a Taiwanese saxophone is a bad thing - just suspicious, that's all. Your Austrian company could have contracted with other saxophone makers to do this, too.

I doubt if gearing up in-house to make saxophones is an easy thing to do. Let us know what you find out. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schagerl produces very good handcrafted brass instruments, but the Academica Series (brass and saxophones) are made in Taiwan.

http://academica.schagerl.at/index_gr.html
    Yahama YSS-475 Soprano * Keilwerth Toneking 1973 Alto * Yamaha YTS62 2002 Tenor * Thomann TBS150 Baritone * Oscar Adler 323 B Clarinet * Yamaha YCL-221
    enthusiastic Raschèr-workshop attendee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, actually I heard that Schagerl saxophones have a great sound and also intonation, considering the price it is almost unbelievable, and the people who told me this really know what they are talking about, they're high class professionals.
    The thing that I'm concerned about is durability of the instruments, because for example one Stagg I had sounded very good considering the price I bought it for (new for about $800), but after two years of everyday practice I just wore it off. So I am afraid that in few years the instrument will stop working properly. But the price is something over $1000 for the superior series.
    Therefore I would really like to hear from somebody who has used any Schagerl saxophones.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but Mato if I could throw a monkey wrench in the wheel - since they're new to the market are you going to know how durable they are anyway?

I've seen ads for them which look great but that's all. Regarding a brass instrument company making saxes that wouldn't concern me in and of itself. Saxocentric SOTWers have a lot of respect for B&S trumpets but might not know that they also make an excellent professional quality trumpet, the Challenger series.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Schagerl Saxophones

Anyone have any updated 411 on the Schagerl line of saxes? Looking particularly at the Tenors...I have a soprano and two altos already...looking to round out the lot with a good tenor, but don't need to go super expensive since soprano and alto are my main axes (along with trumpet). Just need to be able to play the down low sexy ballads every once in a while...
    Tenor: Yamaha Custom Z (Black)
    Altos: Selmer Series III (pre-Jubillee) gold lacquer matte finish/Lacquered Yamaha YAS-62 with Silver G-3 neck
    Other: Yanagisawa SC901 & Tony Scodwell Boston model Bb Trumpet

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...given the last time anyone discussed 'em here was 6 years ago, and there doesn't seem to be much of a fan base and the name is still hecka obscure...I am just curious how you landed upon one of these as a consideration ?

What are your other horns as far as brands ?
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Distinguished SOTW Member DavidW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all manners of companies , in the past as at present, have always marketed things that are not necessarily all made by them but that thy are selling through their network.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That vid is a year and a half old, and it was put on Youtube by the company.....

Granted, whether a horn gets a 'buzz' or not isn't a basis for determining the quality of the instrument (there are plenty of artificial/concocted buzzes going on around this place)....I am just commenting that it appears that in the years they have been making saxes, not many people have ever owned one, is all....

Dunno if they are more common to find in EU ?????

Maybe through the website you can figure out if there are any US distributors.....

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ask because my local shop (Chuck Levins) stocks them. Their trumpets are outstanding (i double on trumpet) and the prices are very good on the tenors. My other horns are in my signature to answer JayePDX. I'll probably give them a whirl this weekend.
    Tenor: Yamaha Custom Z (Black)
    Altos: Selmer Series III (pre-Jubillee) gold lacquer matte finish/Lacquered Yamaha YAS-62 with Silver G-3 neck
    Other: Yanagisawa SC901 & Tony Scodwell Boston model Bb Trumpet

Forum Contributor 2013 SimonJazzSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW...I played on a Shagerl saxophone at the Navy Saxophone Symposium this past January. I was blown away (no pun intended)! It was hands down the best playing and sounding current production saxophone in the vendor room (along with the 82Z which also shocked me, but that's another story). I have played a TON of horns and I mean a TON. I have also owned quite a few horns (modern and vintage), probably more than I should have owned. That being said I was extremely impressed with the new Shagerl saxophones. I played both models and they also had 3 necks to try with them. All the combinations offered something great, but I definitely enjoyed neck #2 with the pro model horn. Nice robust round dark sound! Great ergos and solid build quality! I asked if I could buy it and he said this particular one wasn't for sale! It played better than almost all the MK VIs I've played and it smokes all of the other Taiwanese horns I've ever played. I really really really was tempted to buy one, but I knew that ultimately it would never be my main axe as I am just a vintage guy at heart. Solid, Solid horn though! I wish I had recorded a clip. Hope that helps. Good LUCK!
    Just remember to make the best MUSIC you have the ability to make. If you do that, you are a successful musician.
    www.simonhardingmusic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, a lot of people like Chinese and Taiwanese made horns, even when they are branded with other names.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick becomes trying to ascertain which factory they might have come from....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re : Schagerl Saxophones

Schagerl/Venus have the same manufacturing origin as Keilwerth and Jupiter; It's the same "cauldron"

As for the plant itself, that could change depending on the type of sax. But the traceability is often unclear ! That is international trade!

Not every bit of truth is fit to be told, to listen and accept
    In saxo veritas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with the statement by dream62.

Jupiter builds most of their saxophones themselves in their rather huge plant in Taiwan and only the cheapest ones in China.

Keilwerth is still undergoing some restructuring after having been bought by Buffet (and Buffet being bought by another company), so is not yet clear what the future will bring BUT they have always built their top models themselves while they have had their less expensive model made or assembled by Amati Denak and Jupiter.

Buffet has recently bought the models 100 and 400 in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The st model from the same factory who produces the 749, Venus and schagerl were also the same factory

Concerning all the jupiter production, i don't know ! idem concerning buffet because the plants are changing ownership and so in name and depending on tender outcome.

It's the same thing concerning the more prestigious all the production isn't produced in their own territory.
    In saxo veritas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jupiter is not changing production from their Taiwanese HUGE plant

Buffet has declared that they will leave Keilwerth producing (at least their top lines horn)

Venus an Schagerl MIGHT come from the same factory but the CERTAINLY have nothing to with Jupiter (unless you talk of their only model made in China) or Keilwerth (at present)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said that it was the same plant who manufactures the Schag/venus and that of keilwerth/Jupiter.

Have you heard about the outsourcing ?! Sometimes you may have a part of this one in Prc and another in Taiwan or elsewhere ( singapore, vietnam ...)

I do not have the inside track concerning all the brands but i know a little the commercial and manufacturing strategy

I speak the factor itself who makes some models of theses brands concerning i know where is made exactly the jup749 and the st 90 Iv and too the schagerl and the venus and too the buffet 400
    In saxo veritas

Distinguished SOTW Member Aldevis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On their website they state that any finish is available with or without F#.
    I cannot find any price on the web.
    Any idea about the price range?
    New album now available!
    Disclaimer: I endorse Sequoia tenor saxophones but I manage to keep independent opinions.
    I proudly support Pete's fundraising store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast