Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sax Collectables

18K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
What does everyone think about creating a topic for "Sax Collectables"? Not real saxophones but sax toys, jewelry,figurines,signs, art, posters, etc. Anything that pertains to saxophones except vintage saxes.

#2 ·
I know my practice room is filled with little figures playing sax, all kinds of bugs, animals, clowns, even those nuts & bolts guys. Don't know if I could find a lot to say about them though, other than making an inventory.

Maybe an obituary for a beautiful glass figure I brought back from Italy in one piece, only to have it broken by the movers who moved me from Phoenix to Florida.

#3 ·
I'd probably monitor the category. I don't have much of a collection now, but my pewter sax player business card holder gets a lot of favorable comments.
:wink:

#4 ·
I think that other items such as personal possessions of famous sax players of the past or present could be included. For example; a pair of Paul Desmonds eye glasses or an engraved Zippo lighter that belonged to Charlie Parker, if one exists. Autograph pictures or posters of sax greats. I failed to mention the holy grail of sax memorabilia, saxophones that actually belonged to some famous sax icon. Site members could download photos of their collections. I think now that maybe we should include vintage saxophones and mouthpiece collections too, as well as recordings of the sax greats. Maybe some buying, selling, and swapping could be done here. Just a thought.

#5 ·
Along those lines, I have an autographed photo of Buddy Collette playing his clarinet. It's probably my most prized collectible.
8)

#7 ·
I respectfully disagree, Stitch. It may be a waste of space to some - how much actual space would it take? - but others might enjoy the opportunity to discuss, exchange, sell or trade sax (woodwind?) collectibles as much as, say, Saxophone Jokes and Humor, or Non-saxophone discussions.
8)

#8 ·
goodsax said:
... but others might enjoy the opportunity to discuss, exchange, sell or trade sax (woodwind?) collectibles as much as, say, Saxophone Jokes and Humor, or Non-saxophone discussions.
8)
Indeed they might, goodsax, and that's fine by me. It's just that saxlife was canvassing opinions, and apart from one neutral comment fom Frank D and a couple of lukewarm ones from you no-one had expressed any great interest one way or the other. I just thought I'd add my tuppence (or 2 cents!) worth.

#15 ·
I recently got interested in the Hard Rock Cafe pins....There are a few with saxes and I have manged to chase down 3.

Anyone else out there?

#18 ·
OK. My better half HATES them, but I received this one just the other day from my sister (we like to exchange such itchy gifts). A very common item (and ultimate kitsch) in swiss gardens: the "Gartenzwerg", or "nain de jardin" in french. Traditionnally they were made of wood or ceramics, this one is plastic. Ugly !

Forgot to add: I fully support this totally weird and unnecessary topic... :mrgreen::bluewink:

#19 ·
I have the coolest sax sculpture (wil post a pic): I was once playing at a gig when I noticed a weird-looking guy in the front below the stage who looked like he was having some kind of fit as his hands were all contorting and convulsing and he had his eyes transifxed on me (or rather on my alto). Then after the gig he approached me and I was thinking, oh no, it's that nutter, but then he opened his hands with a flourish to reveal the most incredible metal wire sculpture of a sax. It was beautiful. He gave it to me. I have tried googling an image but there is nothing quite like it. What an artist he was. Wish I had kept his name.

Here it is

#20 ·
Has anyone ever noticed that when saxophone players are portrayed on models or badges, even outside of pubs advertising some live music entertainment, The right hand is where the left hand should be and left hand where the right hand should be. I have noticed this many times. I don't think the makers of these have ever played.

#21 ·
I get greeted by these guys when I come home...
(The tall one is Clarence the Clown. Clarence Too is The Jazzman - plays Dave Koz 'Surrender' and is about 1 foot tall... )
I feel a bit like J F Sebastien sometimes!

Toy Art Wood Hat Statue

#22 ·
I have a good friend who is a very successful sculptor. His work is in museums and shown in international exhibits. His sculptures are made from found objects. He does musicians especially well. He made this sax player for me.

Gas Art Table Chair Metal

To see more of his work, his web site is: http://www.jerrybarrish.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=18848&Akey=MNDGM7X3

#29 ·
I have a good friend who is a very successful sculptor. His work is in museums and shown in international exhibits. His sculptures are made from found objects. He does musicians especially well. He made this sax player for me.

View attachment 42134

To see more of his work, his web site is: http://www.jerrybarrish.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=18848&Akey=MNDGM7X3
Very nice! I am trying to find out the name of my sculptor, he was so incredible (he made the sax in my profile photo).

#25 ·
I have this figure on my desk that I got from Hallmark. It reads" Sometimes you just have to improvise." All the Hallmark stores I've seen still have them so you can pick one up if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.