Sax on the Web Forum banner

Wah Pedal?

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  warp x 
#1 ·
Have any of you guys played through anything like this?

I've heard Jeff Coffin do it alot - best is on "Scratch & Sniff" on "Outbound" by Bela FLeck. What is he doing??

Thanks,

David

#4 ·
Coffin uses a Q'Tron kinda a unique pedal via a MuTron kinda vibe.

BOTH are different within various parameters...I use both on my basson and starting on my saxello too. I heard some older Elton Dean w/ Soft Machone and got inspired to throw that into the mix.

I used to use LINE 6 stuff but it was so involved it drove me crazy with the rules.

Q'tron
is what Coffin uses- try both. Its ok to have a few ya know.
It's a funly sound.

#6 ·
#9 ·
Here's the original Mu-Tron inventors site. pretty interesting. The ElectroHarmonix Q-Tron is an updated version designed by Mike Beigel, the original inventor.

Bootsy Collins used the Mu-Tron. Now Bootsy's stuff wasn't as it came out of the box. He was a Cincinnati boy and that was the word on the street, back in the day. You know what I'm sayin':cool:

#10 ·
Is there a better electric bass sound in the world then the Bootsy Mu-tron? Bootsy is the best baby!!!

If you're talkin' wah-wah sax check out King Curtis who used it on a few things like Whiter Shade of Pale on the all time classic Live at the Fillmore East.

#13 ·
so i got a Dr. Q (the nano series i guess its called)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Harmoni...4064337QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41422QQcmdZViewItem

it does not work at all!!! i am using an audio-technica pro85xx (i forget exactly the number) - and no matter which position i set the only knob that is on it, it just makes this HUGE squeal like feedback!!

i also got this guy:
http://www.digitech.com/products/synthwah.htm

and the auto wah function works :) - but all other 6 modes give the same feedback!!

Is the real Q tron going to give me the same trouble??

#18 ·
daviddoria said:
After talking with a friend, he recommended to reduce my "mic level" on my speaker
As someone who uses effects and a wah pedal, I reckon that's the answer. I've got my effects board optimised - a noise gate can help - but in the end it's always down to the front-of-house sound engineer as to whether I get feedback or not. Some engineers know instinctively what to do - reduce levels in the monitor - and others don't. Rock sound engineers are quite often all at sea with saxophones. Throw a wah pedal into the equation and all hell can break lose. So I always sort this out at the soundcheck first. Of course, keep your mic pointed away from your monitor speaker.

#19 ·
ok yea that helped alot

so heres the next question

this "Dr. Q" seems not to be a wah at all, but rather add a "whizzzz"ing sound...

I got a DigiTech pedal and the wah worked ok...

so is the real QTron going to give an actual wah? the guys at the store told me it was just a smaller, less "options" version of the real Q

#20 ·
Q-Tron

I wrote Coffin to ask about his effect box...at the time my best description of what I heard was a "duck on steroids that dropped some acid." He's unbelievable on it. He also loved that description of the sound and said he'll be using it from then on when asked to describe the sound.

I did get one...could duplicate his sound...but not his playing. Ultimately I sent it back as it wasn't right for the groups I played with at the time. I've regretted sending it back and keep thinking I'll get another just so I can have the option.

New Life Sax

#21 ·
Which box was it exactly that he/you used? QTron +? Micro Q?

Did you have to do any elaborate routing (ie. mic into channel 1, then out from the mixer to the Q, then back into the mixer then out again)? or did you just plug your mic into the Q then the Q into the mixer?

#22 ·
FWIW- I'm using a Qtron - PLUS- onmy bassoon.

It's a very cool sound, take note though, MU TRON is just a bit different.
YMMV on results.

The Q ' seems more 8th note line friendly. For longer funky jazz lines.

#25 ·
A 'real' wah pedal is the way to go IMHO. Takes practice, but it's so much more versatile. The only auto-wah units I like are the Mu-Trons and the MoogerFoogers. Haven't tested an original Qtron, but was not impressed with the newer ones. All of the digital ones I tried sounded thin and digital, especially those coming from a multi fx unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.