Sax on the Web Forum banner

Today I played the Eppelsheim Tubax subcontra "saxophone"

11K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  markVIinNorway 
#1 ·
and how easy it was to play!!!! It was like playing a baritone but way deeper.. 1,5 octave below.

They owner is Nils Jansen, a great norwegian saxophonist, he played it . So these beasts can actually be played as any other saxophone. The only limitation is the tempo. If you play too fast the tones gets "mixed up" and you cant separate them.

I played it for a minute or so...and went straight for the deep tones hehe..

I cant describe how deep it goes...you could more feel than hear the deepest tones..:)

ahhhh.... what a great day!!!

#6 ·
bluesaxgirl said:
Do you think you could get a video posted? That would be a nice touch to this thread. :)
sorry.. no video of me playing just a pic of me and the tubax..but have to wait for my friend to send the pics.... will post as soon as possible

check: http://www.eppelsheim.com/tubax_bb.php?lang=en

for tubax info and pics

#11 ·
markVIinNorway said:
baritone is Eb, bass is B, contra is Eb and tubax is B (there is also a tubax in Eb)
REALLY deep!!!
You mean B flat don't you ? - -NOT B.

#17 ·
I've listening to these beasts online a lot lately. I actually blew out a pair of computer speakers. "In the Speed" by Kölner Saxophon Mafia actually, was the song that did it. When you play back recordings of it in Windows Media player, you can see the individual reed vibrations.

I assume by B you mean Bb. I'm saving up right now for a Bass sax, preferably a Buescher Tru Tone, but a brand new one would also do. Does anyone know where to buy a Contra or Subcontra Tubax, or even Bass and Contra Saxophones?

#18 ·
I have played an Eb Tubax. There are only two or three of them here in Holland. I know an amateur that rather bought the tubax instead of a new car. When he was over at a houseconcert of a friend of mine he asked me if I wanted to play. I thought it was an easy to play sax, even in the low notes. He himself played a piece of Rudy Wiedoeft. It sounded great although I found the lower notes blurring a bit.
It was quite an experience!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.