Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buffet S1 soprano questions

very nice, rare without any doubt.

The one with ordinary keywork isn’t much heavier than any other soprano with high F# that I’ve had.

The Heaviest must be the Keilwerth SX90.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Buffet sop I tried was copper. The weight of it was significant. I think Buffet made nice saxophones. They are just a very different experience if you are used to Selmer or a Y. My friends S! tenor played very well I thought once you got used to it. Very good intonation I remember and a feeling of refinement. He went back to a VI once the novelty wore off.

Johnny Dankworth always sounded beautiful to my ears on his Buffet alto . I think he had a soprano too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    The Buffet sop I tried was copper. The weight of it was significant. I think Buffet made nice saxophones. They are just a very different experience if you are used to Selmer or a Y. My friends S! tenor played very well I thought once you got used to it. Very good intonation I remember and a feeling of refinement. He went back to a VI once the novelty wore off.

Johnny Dankworth always sounded beautiful to my ears on his Buffet alto . I think he had a soprano too.
    I tried the new senzo alto (copper) and it was a really nice horn in the small room which had a good acoustic. But in the big room it didn't have any projection at all. The sound stayed in the saxophone. But it was a nice experience.
    Sonny Simmons was playing buffet as I could see in the docu someone post a few weeks ago. Very nice sound.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bakkiemetkoekie View Post
    I tried the new senzo alto (copper) and it was a really nice horn in the small room which had a good acoustic. But in the big room it didn't have any projection at all. The sound stayed in the saxophone. But it was a nice experience.
    Sonny Simmons was playing buffet as I could see in the docu someone post a few weeks ago. Very nice sound.
    Yes exactly my feeling on the copper Buffet. For me it had zero projection. I was used to a 62 Yamaha and a VI. Years later when I tried a one piece solid silver Yanagisawa soprano it brought to mind the Buffet... again for me zero projection... the brass Yana was night and day different. I went back to Selmer where I stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donpe View Post
    Well I had the chance to try and buy one yesterday, in near mint condition.
    It has the special keywork shown on the S1 Prestige photo above your post.
    I think it's a late S1 (SN #36xxx), looks like 1986 or later, I've asked the Buffet Crampon company to be sure.
    Yes it's a heavy sop but the sound is terrific and it has a very good intonation.

Attachment 133330
    did you buy it? Is it the one I found in Italy or another?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That late S1 looks to me to be perhaps a Keilwerth made instrument. The palm keys are more angular, high E is scooped and look where there bell keys are located.

Please update us if you hear back from Buffet C.
    Robert Steinberg
    Piano, Saxophone, MidiOpera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerknoll View Post
    did you buy it? Is it the one I found in Italy or another?
    I bought it yesterday in France (so it's another one).
    It was sold by an old man, more interested in clarinet actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StuartSax View Post
    That late S1 looks to me to be perhaps a Keilwerth made instrument. The palm keys are more angular, high E is scooped and look where there bell keys are located.

Please update us if you hear back from Buffet C.
    On the S1 Prestige photo page 2, you'll see the same things (mine looks exactly the same but made of brass, not copper).
    I will update you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see from the page 2 pictures more similarities in the stack keys and other shapes that I can withdraw the speculation on made by Keilwerth.
    And your sax clears up the question Milandro and I had earlier about a brass S1 with the roller-less C/Eb.
    I'm sure it's a great sax. Congratulations!
    Robert Steinberg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, I was just lucky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great, we've now found (and in one case bought!) two brass late S1s, so we can confirm they exist.

No disrespect to Michael Ward, but I'm not sure the reflections on altos have any connections to this discussion. My sop is a screamer, louder than my Martin for sure. I came across a guy recently on Youtube who told me "Buffets are just for classical" in a discussion on sops. I asked if he'd actually played one - he hadn't, just second hand opinions from SOTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffet has just answered me, my S1 was built in 1985. No other information in their files (I asked about the model).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    For same obscure reasons all Buffet saxophones in the NL (and elsewhere) have the reputation of being “ for classical music” whereas Selmer Mark VI should be “ for jazz”.
    I think this is an old belief but look what I've found (Marcel Mule is the father of french classical saxophone) :

al29003_1.jpg

The soprano on the cover looks like a Buffet Prestige S1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the picture.

Yes I know that the Mark VI ( and the VII) were developed by classical musicians ( I have mentioned this fact many times myself Marcel Mule was called in a later stadium of the Mark VI and Frederick Hemke designed, with others, the VII).

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...nd-the-Mark-VI

from the same post where you extracted the quote above

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Of course this people forget that the Mark VI (and VII) lineage were both developed by Classical musicians and not at all by Jazzmen.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and that's the same for the S1, Daniel Deffayet who is mentionned in the ad below was also a famous french classical saxophonist :

Pub_S1_4.jpg

So the reputation may come from the brand itself !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately ( or fortunately if you are buying) the S1 (all of them) in the NL have this undeserved reputation of being good only at classical. ( Keilwerth has the reputation of being too rough for example, I bought a great Keilwerth Toneking ( now owned by a fellow SOTW member) which was shun by its former owner ( playing in a classical orchestra).

I still remember one of the first things read on SOTW.

A jazz mouthpiece is the mouthpiece you play jazz with. The same is true of the saxophones too.

Buffet might have though that the classical market was larger than the jazz one ( at the time) and targeted the advertising in that direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this matter (kind of music/tone and set-up), this post is quite interesting too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is interesting that a number of saxes newly designed and released in that past few years were designed for and marketed to the “jazz player." In contrast, the “great” jazz sopranos seem all to have been designed by or for classical and band market(s?), Buescher, Conn, and Martin before the 1950s all Selmers, SML and all the French makers and so on.

On your S1s and SDAs, how many of you have gold plated needle springs? Do you know the year your sax was made?

Do you know of any recordings of artists playing the S1 or SDA?
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gold plated spring ( for the most part or even everywhere, the horn is now at the tech) on mine.

Until the ’80, I am sure, that the market of “ classical players” ( which included the marching bands too and the plethora of local and community bands in places like the USA, Germany, Austria, France, Benelux, Italy, Spain and so on), way exceeded the market of “ jazz players”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non tapered gold springs on mine.

When describing my S1 on my Facebook photo album, I say it it perfect for classical or jazz. But, I'm trying to convey the idea that this is a serious horn. Perhaps the notion of it being a classical instrument has to do with the mouthpiece that comes with the sax. Mine came with a stubby body, close facing (C no star) and large round chamber like the pieces from the 20s.
    Robert Steinberg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast