Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer
    Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buffet S1 soprano questions

I was recently told that a Buffet S1 soprano went up to high G. with keys to go that high - does anyone know if this is correct ?

Also, I've seen a pic on saxpics.com that shows the thumb octave mechanism - selmerish in a way. but i've also seen a pic of one that has a weird rocker that pushes down on a mechanism arm (i'm searching for the pics again).

Does anyone play a Buffet S1 soprano or have come across several that would know ?

Also, how do they play (mechanism-wise and tonal) in comparison to say Couf Superbas/ JK or even mk VIs - i know they all vary alike but any comparison information would be helpful. And yes, I know, Play test it but i just want to get some opinions.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member rhysonsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a Buffet S-1 Anniversary model soprano in silver plate with gold-coloured springs. It's a nice, sweet-sounding horn with a few quirks, such as:
    • Old style (like SDA) left pinky keys
    • No front F
    • Right hand thumb hook that seems to be fitted too far round to the left (I've had it moved)
    • No strap hook (I've had one made up that fits in the lyre holder)
    • An oval E tone hole (at least that's what my repairer says)
    • Mouthpieces have to be well onto the cork to tune properly, nearly so far that they foul the octave key

It only goes to F# and does have the weird rocker octave mechanism that works well.

I found these interesting pics of a Buffet S-1 Prestige in copper (unfortunatley it's sold): http://www.lamangrove.com/soprano-buffet-prestige/

There are a few differences to my horn, such as:
    • Modern Buffet tilting LH table
    • Buffet style (no-roller) RH pinky keys
    • Front F
    • Strap hook

It also looks as though this one might have a high G key, but I'm not sure - what do you think ?

I haven't played a Keilwerth or a MkVI to compare, but I would say that it's got a nice singing tone, good intonation and a bit more guts (with the right mouthpiece) than my Buffet S-1 alto. Hard to choose between this and my Yanagisawa curved soprano, but I do like the sound coming back at me, so I'm playing more curvie at the moment.

Rhys

Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that one on the link has that weird thumb lever design like the one i'm looking at (pics only so far).

also the one i'm looking at does not have the neck strap ring, nor the tilting Bb or front F like the one pictured.

But the one i'm looking at has rollers on the Eb/C not the funky tilting keys

that's a good pic of the RH side keys. Looks like it has the high F# and a high G - it gives me something to look at.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My S1 Prestige is the sweetest sounding and most beautiful soprano I've ever played--would sell my Serie III before this horn.
    Back on US soil--for a while at least!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to add, the S1 Prestige is in fact keyed to high G. And it does have front F and the trick pinky tables a la S1 alto and tenor.

Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mostlyalto
    seems as though some S1 sopranos are keyed to high G, front F, regular Eb/C, etc

Of the few i've seen, the earlier ones seem to be to high G with no front F, regular Eb/C, weird octave lever

then the "mid" ones some with and without high G

then the "later" ones with front F, and tricky Eb/C table keys, regular octave lever

i'd have to go back and take a look at some pics again but the one i'm looking at does not have a front F (no neck strap ring), the weird octave mechanism, regular Eb/C, old non-tilting LH table keys, and definitely stamped S1

BTW your copper S1 looks great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment--I adore copper-bodied Buffets!

Sounds like the S1 you're looking at is one of those that are basically late SDAs that were made after the S1 alto and tenor came into being. Same kind of situation as when Selmer shifted alto and tenor production from MKVI to MKVII, but Buffet, unlike Selmer, actually changed the name of its otherwise barely changed soprano.

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mostly alto guy
    My S1 Prestige is the sweetest sounding and most beautiful soprano I've ever played--would sell my Serie III before this horn.

I have an S1 Prestige sop and just got a Prestige alto today. I have never played a better soprano. It has the high G, the alto does not. I just got the alto, and don't know it well yet. It is very warm though. Very similar to the soprano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Upawholestep
    I have an S1 Prestige sop and just got a Prestige alto today. I have never played a better soprano. It has the high G, the alto does not. I just got the alto, and don't know it well yet. It is very warm though. Very similar to the soprano.
    I've come close to buying a copper S1 alto once or twice, but wound up with an S3 Prestige, basically an SX90 stencil with a lot of S1 keywork. This is also a great horn, but I'd still love to have a real S1 Prestige alto and tenor. If after a while you find yours is not to your liking...

Distinguished SOTW Member rhysonsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got an S1 Prestige alto in my collection. It's a nice horn, with comfortable ergonomics and good intonation, but nothing like the "oomph" of my MkVI. Just a bit too polite for me, but I'm keeping it.

Rhys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

You tease you!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed! How cruel. I guess I'll just have to keep looking or be satisfied with the hybrid.

Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know whether to feel joy that i'm getting a Buffet soprano or depression becz I don't have the money and have to trade off my Couf Superba 1 alto for it

of course i can always change my mind afterwards

Forum Contributor 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm late to this thread but.... I've got a pristine S1 soprano, vintage 1976. Keyed to high G, and plays beautifully. The sound has a more solid core than most Mark VI horns I've played, and it plays dead in tune.

My gigging horn is a King soprano, vintage 1929, with a tight core and big sound, but I enjoy the Buffet at home, although I'm looking to find a good Super Action 80 Series I in silver.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a nice one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffet-Crampon-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I hve nothing to do with this auction, BTW. It's a beautiful horn, but I can't understand why the S1 sopranos have so many variants...this one looks a lot like a Super Dynaction...
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist C**, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Forum Contributor 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, all of a sudden the Buffets have appreciated like crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why Buffets are becoming so popular and so pricey. Everyone knows they're just Mark VI wannabe pretenders that don't play well and should simply be donated to a worthy charity--I'm willing to sacrifice myself to taking all these worthless horns off of anyone's hands and giving them a decent burial!!

(Anybody who cruises SOTW knows I'm kidding!)

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buffet S1 soprano questions

Well, let me revive this thread.

I have just acquired a Buffet Crampon S1 soprano and I think this is a great saxophone unfortunately mine is not really playing at the moment but I really love horns that aren't a copy of anything else and this is certainly it.

I will be selling this some time down the line but I think that I will be having some fun with it first.

First of all these horns are as rare as a hen’s tooth.

You just don’t see them. Mine is not a looker ( was left in the attic after the owner gave up playing to become a lawyer after successfully completing his corservatorium studies ) but you can certainly appreciate the originality of its design which is showing modernity and a look to the past at the same time.

The octave key design has to be one of the most intriguing that I’ve ever seen and the thumbrest, although possibly positioned in and odd way feels (strangely, because indeed very much on the left side) rather more comfortable than many other sopranos.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the same auction I saw the Super International there was a 150years Buffet soprano, that I think should also be a S1. Didn't bought it, but it went for around 700€.

Never tried a pro buffet, but would also like to
    Viajar sempre a cantar... e a tocar!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn’t buy it ( a small correction if you don’t mind).

Which auction are you talking about?

I didn’t buy my at any auction. I bought this from a player who abandoned music.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast