Rico Royal Metalite Fans! - Page 65

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    Break a reed!
    Good one Darrell
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the info regarding Metalite mouthpieces. I just could not believe that a $25 mouthpiece could be any good. I had been playing tenor in a jazz band and was playing a Drake Son of Slant, which I love. That band is no more and I am now playing in a Funk/Soul band. The SOS just would not cut through so I decided to try a Metalite M7 with a Plasticover 2.5 reed. I am now a believer. It only took about an hour to get used to the M7 and and I am very happy with the sound and the volume I can produce. If you are unsure because of the inexpensive price give it a try.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by copipd View Post
    I decided to try a Metalite M7 with a Plasticover 2.5 reed. I am now a believer.
    Another believer in the Church of Metalite.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are extremely well-designed, engineered and produced. Don't let the price fool you. Arnie Brilhart was no slouch and knew exactly what he was doing when he produced the Metalites.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got my M9 for Bari. It's a big tip for sure. my chart online says it's .120..who knows? it's open. Huge sound on the horn..With a 2.5 cane it's plenty wide enough for my chops, likely a #2 or 1.5 reed would be more comfortable for me on the M9. I still got my M7, which I really like and works flawless with a 2.5

I picked up the Rico H Lig/Cap deal for 1/2 price, works and looks good.
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax
    Tenors-MKVI/Buescher 400 * Altos-MKVII/Buescher Aristocrat * Soprano-Kessler * Baritone-Milwaukee * Mpcs-Guardala/Link/Sakshama/Lakey * Reeds-Legere Signature/Fibracell Premier/Rico Cane

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to find a replacement H lig without the cap and couldn't find it anywhere. I didn't want to pay for an extra cap I didn't need. But the H lig I had was losing its lacquer or paint or whatever the finish is. I ordered a Yamaha lig for $9.99 on Amazon and it fits my tenor Metalite – snug, but it works.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I have a 10M, I would like to try a Metalite piece again. I sold the M5, M7 and M9 that I had and am planning on buying an M9 again as memory tells me that it played the best of the three.
    If I am correct, the original pieces were black and had a texture to the finish. When they were re-released, they were gray with a smooth finish.
    Looking at ads for these now, they look to be dark gray or black with a textured finish. Can someone confirm if they have changed again? Are tip opening sizes the same as the re-release?
    I did an online search and looked through the last few pages of this thread and have not found anything that mentioned a change in color, finish or tip opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jth121 View Post
    Now that I have a 10M, I would like to try a Metalite piece again. I sold the M5, M7 and M9 that I had and am planning on buying an M9 again as memory tells me that it played the best of the three.
    If I am correct, the original pieces were black and had a texture to the finish. When they were re-released, they were gray with a smooth finish.
    Looking at ads for these now, they look to be dark gray or black with a textured finish. Can someone confirm if they have changed again? Are tip opening sizes the same as the re-release?
    I did an online search and looked through the last few pages of this thread and have not found anything that mentioned a change in color, finish or tip opening.
    I do not recall the Metalites ever to have been darker or black but correct me if i am wrong. The early ones had the structured surface alright and the later ones were smooth.
    The Graftonites are black indeed. Why they still keep producing the Metalites in this butt-ugly cheapo sewer pipe gray beats me.
    Conn 10M #272XXX - Brilharts and others depending on the weather and the mood and the situation.
    Conn New Wonder #144XXX tenor - Otto Link Tone Master

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My older Metalites are grey with the stubbly finish. New Metalites are grey with smooth finish. Never saw any black Metalites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the link below for a Metalite from WWBW, it appears to be darker, maybe not black, and have texture.
    Ebay shows the same picture on listings also.

http://www.wwbw.com/Rico-Metalite-Te...talite&index=2

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That pic on WWBW is of a new Metalite. They are dark grey with a smooth, somewhat shiny surface. I think that pic makes it look darker than it is.

But what I really like is that it's a killer tenor mouthpiece for $22.34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading the reviews on Amazon or WWBW on the M9 Metalite and someone was reviewing the mouthpiece and mentioned that the pictures used in the ad were from the original pieces years ago and that the newer ones are different, described as above.
    Thanks for the replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did go ahead and I bought an M9 Metalite for my Conn 10M. It does hang pretty far off the back of the neck compared to the other mouthpiece that I use.
    I like the way it plays, all but the lowest note, the Bb which sounds bitter. It is a bit large for me, probably would be better with the M7 which I will pick up at some point.
    Has anyone seen the customized M9 Metalite Mouthpieces on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rico-M9-Cust...3D322519039728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Rico-...3D322519039728

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish you had given us a warning first that they were being sold by Joe Vassallo so I wouldn't have taken a look. Now I have to try and shake those images from my mind. I usually don't like to see atrocity photos, and those are straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's bad enough that the guy does that kind of butchery but then selling it as if they were professionally refaced or modified is adding insult to stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post

I wish you had given us a warning first that they were being sold by Joe Vassallo so I wouldn't have taken a look. Now I have to try and shake those images from my mind. I usually don't like to see atrocity photos, and those are straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's bad enough that the guy does that kind of butchery but then selling it as if they were professionally refaced or modified is adding insult to stupidity.
    I am sorry, I did not know any better either way.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people on SOTW have had fun modifiying Metalites. I've enjoyed their experiments. But the idea of paying 6 times the cost of a Metalite for something that's been greatly modified – from something that started out pretty good in the first place – without play testing it, is absurd to me. You could just send me 100 bucks and I'll promise to say nice things about your sax playing and tone ... without even bothering to hear you.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jth121 View Post
    My eyes.... they burn
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Some people on SOTW have had fun modifiying Metalites. I've enjoyed their experiments. But the idea of paying 6 times the cost of a Metalite for something that's been greatly modified – from something that started out pretty good in the first place – without play testing it, is absurd to me. You could just send me 100 bucks and I'll promise to say nice things about your sax playing and tone ... without even bothering to hear you.
    Yeah, but these pieces on ebay are GUARANTEED!!! OK, I will stop now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.....guaranteed to look and sound like something the dog barfed up.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beat goes on, I found a cherry pre-owned and un-molested (no thanks Joe) M7 Alto Metalite for the the price of postage..

When I want to safeguard my Lakey and precious Sakshama G Custom I'll break this baby out, gots the same .090 tip opening, similar hi-baffle oh yeah..Rock on Arnold +

I found a vintage Lig in my drawer of junk that fits the M7 like a glove, also I have a FL that would work on it..
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Last edited by CashSax; 06-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax
    Tenors-MKVI/Buescher 400 * Altos-MKVII/Buescher Aristocrat * Soprano-Kessler * Baritone-Milwaukee * Mpcs-Guardala/Link/Sakshama/Lakey * Reeds-Legere Signature/Fibracell Premier/Rico Cane

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65