Rico Royal Metalite Fans! - Page 66

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1321
  1. #1301
    Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    I used my Tenor M9 for a gig this Saturday. Funny thing about the Metalites is that the tip opening does not reflect the ease of play. I tried a Med Soft Fibracell that I would normally use for an open mouthpiece and it blew too easy, sounded very shrill and squeaky. I slapped on a Medium and it fattened right up. Still gave me the growl but a nice fat growl with plenty of testosterone. It was also surprisingly easy on the lip. No embouchure fatigue whatsoever. Very pleasntly surprised!
    1973 Dorado 500 T-4 (Yanagisawa); Onyxite PPT with Gold Bay ligature
    Rico Metalite M9; vintage Selmer ligature
    Yamaha YAS-52; MacSax Aura Mouthpiece; Gold Bay Ligature

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #1302
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    MartinMusicMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    12,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson View Post
    I used my Tenor M9 for a gig this Saturday. Funny thing about the Metalites is that the tip opening does not reflect the ease of play. I tried a Med Soft Fibracell that I would normally use for an open mouthpiece and it blew too easy, sounded very shrill and squeaky. I slapped on a Medium and it fattened right up. Still gave me the growl but a nice fat growl with plenty of testosterone. It was also surprisingly easy on the lip. No embouchure fatigue whatsoever. Very pleasntly surprised!
    Timing of this post is very interesting to me. I've been playing 2.5 Plasticovers on my tenor M11. Lately it seems like they're too soft and the sound is too thin. They close up when I'm really blowing hard on the high notes and it's sometimes hard to get my flutter tongue to start. I've been thinking of going up to a 3 reed. Maybe my embouchure has gotten tougher or I'm pushing a lot more air or something. But I think rsclosson's experience is relevant to Metalite users. Maybe a little stiffer reed is what's needed on these bad boys.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

  4. #1303
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Timing of this post is very interesting to me. I've been playing 2.5 Plasticovers on my tenor M11. Lately it seems like they're too soft and the sound is too thin. They close up when I'm really blowing hard on the high notes and it's sometimes hard to get my flutter tongue to start. I've been thinking of going up to a 3 reed. Maybe my embouchure has gotten tougher or I'm pushing a lot more air or something. But I think rsclosson's experience is relevant to Metalite users. Maybe a little stiffer reed is what's needed on these bad boys.
    Also consider how far up you place the tip of the reed as in my experience with all the mpcs and reeds I have that is crucial and often the key to getting a setup to play well. Even a placement one mm up or down can make a big difference in the sound you get and the ease of playing. It is not just the hardness of the reed you choose for a particular piece at a particular opening--not all mpcs of the same opening number are actually the same in playing dynamics due to differences in chamber size, design and facing curve--but where you place that reed's tip in relation to the mpc tip because all cane reeds are unique. As such they can perform differently by nature.

    The basic rule of thumb is that if the reed is too hard for the mpc, you leave more space showing above it's tip, and if it is too soft you push it right up flush or even above the mpc's tip. However, as with all things saxophonic, rules of thumb like this are prone to being wrong and in fact sometimes it actually works the opposite way. After all, how many reeds are exactly as hard or soft as the number printed on them? And even when a 3 is a 3 is a 3, being unique pieces of organic material they quite frequently ignore what a 3 is supposed to be.

    This is why, in my experience, one has to try out any reed/mpc setup each time you go to play because nothing in nature is in stasis and yesterdays 3 may today feel like a 3.5 or a 2.5 depending on the humidity and the fickleness of cane. When I choose a set up before I go out to play in public, my theme song is "Luck Be A Lady Tonight" because one never knows when yesterday's sweet reed will just up and snub you.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  5. #1304
    DarrellMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    W. Wareham, MA
    Posts
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    Also consider how far up you place the tip of the reed as in my experience with all the mpcs and reeds I have that is crucial and often the key to getting a setup to play well. Even a placement one mm up or down can make a big difference in the sound you get and the ease of playing. It is not just the hardness of the reed you choose for a particular piece at a particular opening--not all mpcs of the same opening number are actually the same in playing dynamics due to differences in chamber size, design and facing curve--but where you place that reed's tip in relation to the mpc tip because all cane reeds are unique. As such they can perform differently by nature.

    The basic rule of thumb is that if the reed is too hard for the mpc, you leave more space showing above it's tip, and if it is too soft you push it right up flush or even above the mpc's tip. However, as with all things saxophonic, rules of thumb like this are prone to being wrong and in fact sometimes it actually works the opposite way. After all, how many reeds are exactly as hard or soft as the number printed on them? And even when a 3 is a 3 is a 3, being unique pieces of organic material they quite frequently ignore what a 3 is supposed to be.

    This is why, in my experience, one has to try out any reed/mpc setup each time you go to play because nothing in nature is in stasis and yesterdays 3 may today feel like a 3.5 or a 2.5 depending on the humidity and the fickleness of cane. When I choose a set up before I go out to play in public, my theme song is "Luck Be A Lady Tonight" because one never knows when yesterday's sweet reed will just up and snub you.
    Sounds like a good plug for Fibracell reeds!
    Strive to be better than the day before.

  6. #1305
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    LOL.....for sure, when my cane reeds are having a bad hair day I switch to synthetics. The rain down here north of N.Y.C. has caused the humidity to be all over the place, so that's a day by day decision. One day's player is the next day's dog.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  7. #1306
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016 SHOZZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    12,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    LOL.....for sure, when my cane reeds are having a bad hair day I switch to synthetics. The rain down here north of N.Y.C. has caused the humidity to be all over the place, so that's a day by day decision. One day's player is the next day's dog.
    I'm pleased to see you getting your share of the rain Michael. It's about time it's shared around a bit more, we had two weeks or so of blistering heat. Which I've got to say was too hot, it was in the low nineties some days, and the humidity was very oppressive. Too hot for playing and too hot for shooting, just sitting in the shade and sweating like a pig.Then it went cooler and started raining again, for the last three weeks it's hardly stopped.
    This crazy weather seems to be worldwide, I hate to think what it will be like in ten or 15yrs time if this Global Warming gets any worse. And the way it's going I think it will. But who knows?

  8. #1307
    DarrellMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    W. Wareham, MA
    Posts
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Most of us will be underwater, so it won't matter! And if you have higher ground you can stay on, it won't be for long, because you'll probably be running out of food soon.
    My cheery bright outlook for the future!
    Strive to be better than the day before.

  9. #1308
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Many of us will be six feet under before the ground is under water.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  10. #1309
    DarrellMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    W. Wareham, MA
    Posts
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    We're losing inches every year. The polar icecaps and glaciers around the world are disappearing faster than you can say your name. Where do you suppose all that water is going to go?

    http://www.worldwatch.org/melting-ea...aches-new-high
    Strive to be better than the day before.

  11. #1310

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    I've got a question for some of you metalite experts.

    I mainly play a graftonite C5 on my tenor which I quite like. Recently I joined a street band and we mostly play outdoors. I picked up an M9 to boost my sound for the outdoor gigs. The thing that really surprised me is the C5 is brighter than the M9. I was hoping the M9 would give me a brighter, more powerful sound but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Is there a way to make the M9 brighter? Right now I just swap the same reed across my mp's. I have a fibracell 2.5 I use. Or would one of the smaller versions, like the M5 or M7, give me the brighter tone I'm after?

  12. #1311
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    The M7 is brighter and louder than the M9 but it all depends on the reed you use. Find the brightest reed you can, a Plasticover works well, and see if that doesn't help. However, considering how cheap these are getting an M7 is no big deal.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  13. #1312
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    MartinMusicMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    12,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by IcantReed View Post
    The thing that really surprised me is the C5 is brighter than the M9. I was hoping the M9 would give me a brighter, more powerful sound but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    That really surprises me too. I have a Graftonite around here somewhere. I bought it just to compare and to possibly recommend to a friend – they're so inexpensive. I found it to be very vanilla and dull. I think the Metalites take some getting used to, especially if you went from a C5 opening to an M9. The M9 can take a lot more air and I think you can play with a much looser embouchure. I also 2nd the suggestion to try an M7. It may be brighter than the M9 and it's also not such a big jump from the C5 to the M9. I also encourage you to keep working with the M9 or the M7 to find the embouchure and air support that works best with the Metalite. Play around with the Graftonite and Metalite at home and see what you can figure out about how to play them both. Ultimately, if you decide you prefer the C5, then that's what works for you. There's no reason you have to like the Metalite just because a lot of other people do.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

  14. #1313
    Sacks Of Phones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    We're losing inches every year. The polar icecaps and glaciers around the world are disappearing faster than you can say your name. Where do you suppose all that water is going to go?

    http://www.worldwatch.org/melting-ea...aches-new-high
    Yes, because data is never faked or fudged. Just ask Australia.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths" ~ Steven Wright.

  15. #1314

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    I was looking for good a good mouthpiece for college marching band, since in the past I was using my high school's mouthpieces. I stumbled on this thread and several others saying that this is one of the best mouthpieces (for the money or otherwise), so I went ahead and bought the tenor M9 and M7. I've only had the M7 for a week and the M9 for a day, but these are stellar mouthpieces. Far better than anything my high school had (though those were mostly classical selmers and cheap pieces, though they had a few bari Brilharts).
    Last edited by Saxis; 09-20-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: forgot a word

  16. #1315
    Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    The fun really starts when you get a $28 metalite that rivals the rest of your $$$$$ mpc stash..

    Maybe I told this Metalite story already, years ago I had bought a bunch. While touring the Midwest I had come across a shop that was blowing them out for like $6 apiece. I remember buying probably 7-8 of 'em just for fun. But honestly I never played them much outside of a quick trial...(wish I still had those M11's)..gradually they all got traded or sold off.

    But last couple yrs I've returned to the fold. Actually my total mpc stash is pretty darn complete, but I've got a M7-9 for my Bari stashed, and an M7 Alto that compares nicely to some very good stuff.

    Recently I wanted a small tip Tenor mpc to round out my collection of 5 killer tenor 'pieces. An M7 is just the ticket, I have one on the way.

    I also based my decision to go with the M7 Tenor on the excellent YouTube comparison of M7 M9 & M11.

    The M7 has the crisper clearer tone to my ears.

    Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

  17. #1316
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    The fun really starts when you get a $28 metalite that rivals the rest of your $$$$$ mpc stash..

    Maybe I told this Metalite story already, years ago I had bought a bunch. While touring the Midwest I had come across a shop that was blowing them out for like $6 apiece. I remember buying probably 7-8 of 'em just for fun. But honestly I never played them much outside of a quick trial...(wish I still had those M11's)..gradually they all got traded or sold off.

    But last couple yrs I've returned to the fold. Actually my total mpc stash is pretty darn complete, but I've got a M7-9 for my Bari stashed, and an M7 Alto that compares nicely to some very good stuff.

    Recently I wanted a small tip Tenor mpc to round out my collection of 5 killer tenor 'pieces. An M7 is just the ticket, I have one on the way.

    I also based my decision to go with the M7 Tenor on the excellent YouTube comparison of M7 M9 & M11.

    The M7 has the crisper clearer tone to my ears.
    You know Cash, I love reading this post because you're a professional player and you not only don't diss these mpcs out of hand but in fact really play them because you know how good they are. I recently got into a "discussion" with another long time member on the forum who simply trashed them out of hand and called them junk but never gave a valid explanation of why he thought that. It seemed to me he was just jumping on the bash-the-cheap-plastic-mouthpiece bandwagon popular among a certain faction of stuck-up sticky-beaks and had never really given them an actual work out like one must with any new mouthpiece. That is so common with many diehard Linklovers who have a mental block about something that is not vintage and doesn't cost an arm and your left testicle. If they could only play one of these with their ears instead of their mind full of preconceived prejudices they would find out how great these mpcs actually can be in the chops of someone who takes the time to play it for real.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  18. #1317
    Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Amen Brother !!

    My M7 Tenor arrived today, good looking with the smooth finish. I had to search but evidently new and older ones can be smooth or Pebbly..my 2 Bari's are rough finish (bought new a yr ago)..hmmmm..my M7 alto I had for awhile (bought pre-loved) and just-bought open box tenor are both smooth.

    What do you guys think this is serious sh*t..!!



    Seriously..I realize now that I never gave my Metalites much of a shot yrs ago when I first bought the bunch..I'd never seen them before, so I considered them a Novelty or somewhat of a Toy due to their Low cost. I play wide tips on Tenor and my first trials I'm sure were on the M9-M11's, well I still find those 2 sizes unremarkable to my ears. I don't recall ever trying an M7 on tenor, but after some quality play time I really dig the M7.

    The Baritones' I have are a M7-9 and I can play both, but honestly I feel a tip size between the 2 would be optimum for me. The Alto M7 fits really well in my tip size range. Just a great little mpc. The Sops I tried a long time ago and don't remember much except that I was not impressed with my result.
    Last edited by CashSax; 09-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

    Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

  19. #1318
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016 SHOZZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    12,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by IcantReed View Post
    I've got a question for some of you metalite experts.

    I mainly play a graftonite C5 on my tenor which I quite like. Recently I joined a street band and we mostly play outdoors. I picked up an M9 to boost my sound for the outdoor gigs. The thing that really surprised me is the C5 is brighter than the M9. I was hoping the M9 would give me a brighter, more powerful sound but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Is there a way to make the M9 brighter? Right now I just swap the same reed across my mp's. I have a fibracell 2.5 I use. Or would one of the smaller versions, like the M5 or M7, give me the brighter tone I'm after?
    The M5 is the brightest for Tenor, it's 95 tip is the closest to your C5 I would think. Can be really edgy and bright, but can also be played mellow.
    The M7 is 105 tip, the M9 is I think 115 tip, that's a big jump from a C5. The bigger the tip the more mellow they seem to be.

  20. #1319
    Jazz Is All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Es Pain in Yer Up
    Posts
    29,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    +1

    What Rob says about the M7 is true. It's brighter but if you don't want to spring for another mpc, although they're really cheap anyway, for the M9 you'll need to get a brighter reed. I'd suggest a Rigotti Gold or Java in cane and a Plasticover for semi-synthetic. All those are bright reeds in my experience. The Marca Jazz is also quite bright. If you want a synthetic reed switch the fibracell out for a Bari plastic reed. They really scream on a high baffle mpc in a high noise situation. I use one on my SS Berg step baffle piece and it can peel paint when pushed. Silly thing is that for the price of many synthetic reeds you can also buy a Metalite M7. So it's a toss up really.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

  21. #1320
    ZootTheSim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

    I bought both M5 and M7 alto pieces last year, and didn't like them at all on my Zephyr or Comm. III, so they've been sitting in the drawer. But I've been playing my backup alto all week, a B&H Oxford (Kohlert Bixley stencil), and experimenting with different setups. Among all the reeds and pieces in my drawer, the best combos for me are a Selmer Super Session D with Rigotti Golds or Francois Louis's for jazz; and for rock and blues, my M5 with a Fibracell Premier.

    The M5 beat out my Jody Jazz Jet, and while it's not as complex as my CE Winds Mainstream (blue Jumbo Java A45 copy), it clarifies the excessive buzz of the Fibracells, intonation is a bit better, and altissimo's a cinch. It's louder, too. Thanks to MartySax for recommending Metalites!
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •