Rico Royal Metalite Fans! - Page 63

Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 134041424344454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1299
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

Just watched it, Shozza. Wow, very cool, I'd never seen that... Pee Wee doing some crazy altissimo on that Metalite! Thanks for turning me on to that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using synthetic reeds on metalites with good results? If so list what is working on your metalite for tenor alto and bari tip openings and reed size as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Curtis View Post
    Anyone using synthetic reeds on metalites with good results? If so list what is working on your metalite for tenor alto and bari tip openings and reed size as well.
    I'm using a Fibracell 1.5 on an M5, however I've been working up to a 2.0, for the past week. I also have an M9, but I don't really have the air support for it, yet. Even with the 1.5, it takes more than I've got!

It appears I need to make a retraction. After two days of playing my C*, just to change things up a little, the M5 was sounding kind of shrill, tonight.
    For the heck of it, I decided to try the M9, just to see if it was any easier to play.
    Well, it seems I've put enough hours on the M5, because I can now happily play the 9, without problems. It blows really nice subtones!
    Graduation day, I guess, for my Metalites, anyway!!!
    Strive to be better than the day before.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

legere signature

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I alternate between Plasticovers and Legere signature 2.5 on my M9 tenor Metalite. I use Plasticovers on bari and alto Metalites.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for the reed info. I can play BARI plastic reeds on my bari metalite. i am playing both the 7 and the 9 and trying to settle on 1 mouthpiece. I might try the legere reed for tenor and alto?

Forum Contributor 2017 sandster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1247!
    A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to take over Lead Alto in a big band, as their regular guy had health problems and the band was scheduled to do a concert in three weeks. I hadn't played my alto since last June. Sold it to Secondhand Saxes. My present one is at the repair shop, so I had to borrow one from an ex student. I started practicing, using my tried and true Meyer #6 and seemed to be progressing OK, but I wasn't satisfied with the sound. To me, Lead Alto in a big band has to LEAD. The sound has to be sorta soaring over the rest in the louder sections, just a bit more than the others in the softer, ballad-type tunes. The sound should be beautiful, strong when needed, soft but still beautiful in the slower passages when the lead stands out. Well, I decided to try my Metalite. I only had one alto piece left, a #9. At first, using a 2 1/2 Vandoren, I couldn't extended a 4 bar phrase in one breath. However, I persisted and last night, at the second rehearsal, I played the full two hours without any stress. I am really pleased with the sound I'm getting. I am quite surprised! Maybe my tenor and clarinet practice have helped. Must be.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post

But seriously folks, this idea that the Metalites work well on the bigger horns but not so much on the smaller ones is a new thought to me, but kinda explains some of my experience. I'm interested to hear more comments about that.
    Due to being out of commission for a while I never got to this page of the thread. The funny thing is I bought a M5 for my alto (True Tone Series 4) but never did find a setup for it that sounded good to me. Too shrill or hard to contol the tonal qualities or something....my recall is not so good....so I stopped trying and play my Selmer Super Sessions D, which I have played since I got the horn 10 years ago to great satisfaction. This is the original SS D, which they stopped producing for some stupid reason although it is one of the best HR alto pieces I've played on my vintage altos.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOZZA View Post
    Hi SaxDadPaul,
    There's a great clip on YouTube of the Phil Collins big band playing "Pick Up The Pieces" Featuring Pee Wee Ellis playing a Metalite on tenor. Also Klaus Doldinger, James Carter, Gerald Albright and Sadao Watanabe. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
    Thanks a million Rob. I just watched the whole thing and it is amazing. Pee Wee plays some awesome altissimo on the Metallite and sounds as great as he always does. But James Carter was off the chain and proved to be the biggest monster on tenor there is. The man is unreal in that solo. God almighty what chops. I could watch that a dozen times in a row and have a new experience each time.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    I stopped trying and play my Selmer Super Sessions D, which I have played since I got the horn 10 years ago to great satisfaction. This is the original SS D, which they stopped producing for some stupid reason although it is one of the best HR alto pieces I've played on my vintage altos.
    I agree with you about the Metalites, Jazz Is All, having tried both an M5 and M7. They're actually the least favourite of my high-baffle pieces.

But do you find the original SS D significantly better than the new ones? I ask because Bruce Bailey and others rave about that piece, so much that I'm considering acquiring one for my vintage Martin and King altos (also, welcome back!).
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Zoot, have you tried a Metalite on a tenor? I'd be interested in your thoughts, compared to the alto. Besides, I think the Stones only use tenor players. I've heard of Bobby Keys. They also used some guy named Sonny Rollins. Bobby's no longer with us but, amazingly, Sonny is. May he rock on.

But seriously folks, this idea that the Metalites work well on the bigger horns but not so much on the smaller ones is a new thought to me, but kinda explains some of my experience. I'm interested to hear more comments about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    I agree with you about the Metalites, Jazz Is All, having tried both an M5 and M7. They're actually the least favourite of my high-baffle pieces.

But do you find the original SS D significantly better than the new ones? I ask because Bruce Bailey and others rave about that piece, so much that I'm considering acquiring one for my vintage Martin and King altos (also, welcome back!).
    Thanks Zoot, it's great to be back. Actually, it was Bruce Bailey's comments about this mpc way back then on some thread or other that made me settle on the SS D. I found one in the marketplace or on Ebay in like new condition at a great price and grabbed it. I have never regretted it, and truthfully have never felt the need to try too many other alto pieces. As to a comparison with the new ones, I have never played one so I can't say, but they made it kind of an ugly shape by comparison IMO. If you have tried a new one and know what it is like and then can find a used original one that you can try you could find out. Or just buy the older one because you can't go wrong with them even though they are more expensive now being discontinued. And I never felt I wanted an E or F, either as I don't play alto enough to have the chops for a bigger tip so it's my only alto piece really.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    you can't go wrong with them even though they are more expensive now being discontinued. And I never felt I wanted an E or F, either as I don't play alto enough to have the chops for a bigger tip so it's my only alto piece really.
    Good advice, I'll keep an eye peeled for a D. I only play alto, but still don't have the chops.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandster View Post
    #1247!
    A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to take over Lead Alto in a big band, as their regular guy had health problems and the band was scheduled to do a concert in three weeks. I hadn't played my alto since last June. Sold it to Secondhand Saxes. My present one is at the repair shop, so I had to borrow one from an ex student. I started practicing, using my tried and true Meyer #6 and seemed to be progressing OK, but I wasn't satisfied with the sound. To me, Lead Alto in a big band has to LEAD. The sound has to be sorta soaring over the rest in the louder sections, just a bit more than the others in the softer, ballad-type tunes. The sound should be beautiful, strong when needed, soft but still beautiful in the slower passages when the lead stands out. Well, I decided to try my Metalite. I only had one alto piece left, a #9. At first, using a 2 1/2 Vandoren, I couldn't extended a 4 bar phrase in one breath. However, I persisted and last night, at the second rehearsal, I played the full two hours without any stress. I am really pleased with the sound I'm getting. I am quite surprised! Maybe my tenor and clarinet practice have helped. Must be.
    Well, la-do-da! What a pile of #%*! Sounds like I'm praising myself to high heaven! After spending a few minutes on the M9 in my practice room, I actually heard what I sounded like. Thin, bright, tone less. Spent the next hour re-acquainting myself to the old Meyer. Still got a week to get the sound I'm wanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, la-do-da! What a pile of #%*! Sounds like I'm praising myself to high heaven! After spending a few minutes on the M9 in my practice room, I actually heard what I sounded like. Thin, bright, tone less. Spent the next hour re-acquainting myself to the old Meyer. Still got a week to get the sound I'm wanting.
    Hmmmmm.......my M9 is pretty mellow, compared to the M5, but then you're talking Alto.......Apples and grapefruits. Wish I had the breath to play it on my latest acquisition (King Cleveland tenor).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further findings. After trying out my M9 and Meyer 6, I put on a Yamaha 4C. Now I believe all those guys who are using the 4C. It's a nice fit, between the harsh M9 and the darker Meyer. I can play the high F# and G with ease and the sound is bright enough to carry a sax section.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further findings. After trying out my M9 and Meyer 6, I put on a Yamaha 4C. Now I believe all those guys who are using the 4C. It's a nice fit, between the harsh M9 and the darker Meyer. I can play the high F# and G with ease and the sound is bright enough to carry a sax section.
    Now you've got me thinking, Sandster! Maybe my 4C would be a better choice for the King Cleveland? I'll have to give that a try, once it comes home from its tuneup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to make clear, the switching around of mpcs has been an attempt to get a decent sound from my alto in a hurry. When I last played alto approx. one year ago, I liked my sound using the Meyer. When the chops are better, I'll most likely go back to it. The lesson I've learned is to not stop playing one sax in order to concentrate on another, when I have these horns. Practice them all, as often a possible is my new challenge.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further.....the M9 is the only one I can reach a high F# on! The end of an arrangement we're using for "Harlem Nocturne" goes up and up, 'til high F#. I've tried to smoothly reach this on the Meyer and the 4C but the M9 is the only one I can rely on to get the F#. I'm going to have to switch mpcs. a tune or two before we play this arrangement at the concert Saturday. Wish me luck.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll pull it off! Have confidence and put your experience to work for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just repatriated the Cleveland from the evil repair baron, till he works through his backlog. Only took me a few minutes to rebond with my new horn. Played the usual M5 on it, first, to get back the vibe. Then I switched off to the vintage S80 C* with a 3.0 Fibracell.......yucca! Next tried out the 4C, which I had never played on the new horn. A 3.0 was okay, on it, but then tried a 2.5, and voila!!! Perfect! I played till my lower lip went numb! Eventually, I'll try to get back to the M9, just to see what the difference sounds like, but the 4C might be it, for awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    You'll pull it off! Have confidence and put your experience to work for you.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I feel better already!
    ?the sandster