Rico Royal Metalite Fans! - Page 62

Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1300
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beeflat View Post
    Especially in a fetching tone of red.
    Good memory, Captain. Yes, I painted it a nice Lipstick Red.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I have an old stock M11 for tenor but I play an M9.
    I just realized I'm wrong. I've been playing the M11 on tenor for a long time now.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized I'm wrong. I've been playing the M11 on tenor for a long time now.
    Duh oh

I hope this isn't an early warning sign of Oldtimer's disease.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...If you've been playing an M11 on tenor, I'd say you want at least an M7 for alto. I'd sell you my M9 for alto but I think they've become collector's items.
    I got an M9 for alto from Rackety Sax (Glenn) and it´s a monster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on the metalites I think for good. I posted earlier about going back to otto links in metal. I found out that the metal alto mouthpiece is too long and I play flat on it because of that. So no more otto link. I am using Rico reeds with good results. I will try Rico reeds on Tenor and Baritone to see how this works? the metalite is a short shank mouthpiece in comparison to the otto link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geseco View Post
    I got an M9 for alto from Rackety Sax (Glenn) and it´s a monster.
    I also found an M11! Woooow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all you metalite fans out there, I'm selling an M5 for tenor in the Marketplace - https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...nor-Mouthpiece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody know if this Yamaha YAC-1611 tenor ligature will fit the Metalite tenor?
    https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAC-16.../dp/B0002F7BAA

EDIT: Still don't know if Yamaha ligature fits, but generic American Plating tenor ligature below fits perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q0WTCY
    Kind of overpriced, but my local music shop has a terrible selection of metal ligatures.
    Last edited by mdavej; 01-18-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently acquired the M7 in both alto and tenor for my high school daughter. She was looking for a way to get a bit more buzz and growl and dirt in her sound, and I came upon this amazingly long thread, the entirety of which I read before making the aforementioned purchase (what can I say, it helped pass the time during another Chicago winter.) To my surprise, she took to the M7 tenor almost immediately, playing up and down very nicely, with a bit of dirt and growl when she pushed it. To this point the biggest tip opening she has played was her metal Link STM NY 5*, but she had no problem adjusting to this new piece on her normal Rico Royal 2.5 reed, and enjoyed playing it very much...this, after 15 minutes of playing on it! I think she could have even more fun experimenting with different reeds.

The alto M7, however, was a different story; she could "peel the paint" when she put a lot of air through it, but the lower notes "warbled" quite a bit unless she was playing at near full volume. She used a RR 2.5 reed, which is a bit softer than she usually uses. Would an even softer reed help, I wonder? I'm inclined to return the M7...I have already ordered the M5 alto (what the hell at this price, right?) to see if the smaller tip opening solves the problem. Anyway, at the very least, we appear to have a real winner in the M7 tenor!

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, I would like to buy a soprano piece for her vintage Yany curvy, on which she currently uses a Soprano Planet Via Coro with great success. She is going to start playing the little gal in jazz band on occasion, and I thought it might be nice to have a Metalite to give her a bit more projection. I was thinking the M5 to start. Any thoughts?

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The longer I play these things, the more I tend to think they work well on the bigger horns and less well on the smaller ones. This is just an impression, I haven't studied it systematically. I have Metalites for SATB. The tenors really love it, and the bari too. But my repair tech thought I wasn't getting a good tone on my Martin Handcraft alto with the Metalite and had me try another piece. I forget what it was and it doesn't really matter. I noticed that the sound was a better, with more control. The Metalite on alto is pretty raw and takes a lot of effort to control. This is even more true for Metalite on soprano. I tend not to use the Metalite on the soprano and instead use a Bari (brand name, not baritone) soprano mouthpiece that I have or another one that I think is a Yamaha. (I'm at work now and would have to look in the case.) Anyway, the point is that the Metalites may not be ideally suited to the alto or soprano that I have. Of course your mileage (and sax) may vary. I wonder if anyone else shares this observation, of it's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I found the Metalite not very pleasant on alto and soprano. Works great on the bigger horns.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, triple M....that's the impression I was starting to get after reading of others' experiences with the alto pieces. Maybe I'll pass on getting the sop piece...the Via Coro is great anyway. I agree, it would be interesting to hear more thoughts from those who have tried both the tenor and alto Metalites...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the M7 with my The Martin alto on your rec, MartinMusicMan, as well as the M5. While I do appreciate the cutting volume and low cost of these pieces, they're just not for me. But I do always keep one in the case--y'know, just in case I stumble across The Stones giving a stealth performance in a club somewhere, and their saxophonist is held up at customs, so I need to sit in?
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, thanks Saxcop

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZootTheSim View Post
    I tried the M7 with my The Martin alto on your rec, MartinMusicMan, as well as the M5. While I do appreciate the cutting volume and low cost of these pieces, they're just not for me. But I do always keep one in the case--y'know, just in case I stumble across The Stones giving a stealth performance in a club somewhere, and their saxophonist is held up at customs, so I need to sit in?
    That's always a possibility...have they replaced Bobby Keys?? I'll bet Zoot would've rocked a Metalite on his tenor, given the chance... And he may very well have been less impressed with the Metalite on his alto and sop

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zoot, have you tried a Metalite on a tenor? I'd be interested in your thoughts, compared to the alto. Besides, I think the Stones only use tenor players. I've heard of Bobby Keys. They also used some guy named Sonny Rollins. Bobby's no longer with us but, amazingly, Sonny is. May he rock on.

But seriously folks, this idea that the Metalites work well on the bigger horns but not so much on the smaller ones is a new thought to me, but kinda explains some of my experience. I'm interested to hear more comments about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never tried the tenor, nope. But my lifelong goal is to sound just like Sonny Rollins on my alto. And sometimes like Dexter.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Forum Contributor 2015-2016 SHOZZA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi SaxDadPaul,
    There's a great clip on YouTube of the Phil Collins big band playing "Pick Up The Pieces" Featuring Pee Wee Ellis playing a Metalite on tenor. Also Klaus Doldinger, James Carter, Gerald Albright and Sadao Watanabe. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SHOZZA View Post
    Hi SaxDadPaul,
    There's a great clip on YouTube of the Phil Collins big band playing "Pick Up The Pieces" Featuring Pee Wee Ellis playing a Metalite on tenor. Also Klaus Doldinger, James Carter, Gerald Albright and Sadao Watanabe. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
    Awesome... Gerald is crazy, they're all crazy
    Check out my recording of "Stepping Out" by Tony Bennett!
    https://youtu.be/Y__iObawp4A