Post a clip here, free jazz only!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Distinguished Member John_Dikeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post a clip here, free jazz only!

Hello everyone,

On another thread I've been trading free jazz clips with Jason Dumars and it occurred to me it would be cool to open a thread for members clips of only free jazz, free improvisation, new music, avant-garde, generally wacky ****! There are a number of players on SOTW that are interested in this stuff and have some nice recordings, so let's put them together.

Also, this is a thread for people who ARE interested in this music. If you feel your 3 year old child can make music just as good don't bother posting unless you are willing to record it and play it for us! Everyone one of us that plays this music has had that argument a thousand times. Maybe for those who have never heard this kind of stuff before it's a clever comment, but I personally am not interested in pursuing that topic right now.

So, here are two tracks of mine:

Duo with Jon Barrios
    http://www.johndikeman.com/john1.mp3

Trio with Darren Pickering and Raed Yassine
    http://www.johndikeman.com/sawy4.mp3

more clips to be found at www.johndikeman.com/disco.htm

Ok, let's hear what you've got!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice stuff John!!

I am more of a fan of this style than a performer since I don't have the chops to do anything meaningful. Thanks for having the guts to post something a little different here, in case you haven't noticed this isn't the most musically tolerant site on the internet.
    Frivolous, Vexatious and Outrageous

Distinguished SOTW Member Jason DuMars's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's about time!

John, what a great idea! Most of my stuff falls into this category, so I'm just going to link to some of my favorites. These are all pretty big files, so I apologize to folks with dial-up.

prelude: A multi-tracked improvised alto saxophone quartet using non-tempered tuning.

quiet: A live duet with Ned Rothenberg using lots of close interval multiphonics.

25 minutes in Oil City: This is a mix of improvisation and sound captures from the high school marching band festival that happened in the stadium across the street from where I lived.

knots: A mix of improv and some composed material with Nick Didkovsky on guitar and Kevin Norton on drums. This is like... heavy metal improv.

A tragedy in 2 acts, part 1: This was a free session with Barcelona guitarist Pere Soto and Joseph Janiga on drums. It shifts between jazz, rock and some noise.

Seagull story part 1: this was a piece where I played many different instruments and improvised in layers. Some patterns emerged through the process, but it was mostly reactive improvisation with cello as the major rhythmic instrument.

I am going to record some solo sax pieces and post them here this weekend.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member ismail's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Jason: wow, what an alto sound... just listened to your prelude and 25 minutes. especially the first one is very nice...free but still in a way comprehensible...astonishing.
    makes me wonder where you find the time to engrave AND play that much :>.

some sounds of yours made me think of my former teacher... www.boom-live.de that´s the address, clips can be found there.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jason DuMars's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks man! What a kind thing to say. there must be more crazies like us out there.... don't be shy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not in this, nor do i know anyone playing in it....but my friend sent me this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cHoOJNaXU
    Saxophone and Big Band instructor at the Los Angeles College of Music; DMA candidate at USC
    Get in touch on Facebook or Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, you know I'm in your fan club and I've responded to both clips elsewhere.

Jason, I listened to all of it, still taking it in. I really dug the Seagull thing and Quiet. Neither of the bands I'm in do much of this, but the bassist for Trio Encompas loves this sort of thing. We did one track like this on the record, but it didn't stay there long. I always feel completely inadequate playing that way because I don't naturally hear it that way; but it's fun to listen to.

Seems like you guys are leaning towards the really out stuff, but I'll put these clips up here anyway. If they clash to much, just drop me a line and I'll take 'em down:

Chicago Happenin'
    was improvised during a Trio Encompas rehearsal. This bassist is currently on hiatus from music trying to save his business.

Warm Up was recorded around the same time as part of an Equal Time rehearsal. It's one of the first things we ever played together.

Meditation On World Peace is from a show last October when I had the good fortune to play with Eddie Gale and Dick Griffin. This is the first night and we didn't even get to rehearse; barely had time to setup the equipment and tune, then we hit it. Over dinner, they talked to the bassist and drummer about the music, no charts, that was it. The first night was a bit stiff (this and the next clip are from that night). Afterwards, they told the drummer to play louder, me to play louder and longer, and the bassist to do what he was doing. The second night was much different, and material from it will most likely be released this Summer.

A Minute With Miles
    (October 2, 2006). These both have Eddie Gale on trumpet, Dick Griffin on trombone, me on tenor, Tim Webb on bass, and Mike Walsh on drums. They were recorded at Railroad Square in Waterville, ME.

The Rain (October 3, 2006), was the closing song the second night. Mike and I heeded their advice. Personnel is the same except that Dick plays piano and I play bari. This one won't be on the record because we massacred the head... damnit.

and Ungaya Muana Ngo is from the recording I did for the RPM Challenge this year. I play everything except the bass, which was looped from a clip of Tim warming up at a rehearsal. The original line is the six-note pattern; creative editing lead to what you hear here. I definitely prefer the interactive stuff, but this turned out pretty close to what I wanted.
    Last edited by BayviewSax; 03-22-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    www.thomkeith.net ** e-mail ** Try your luck at a Blindfold Test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramZsax
    I'm not in this, nor do i know anyone playing in it....but my friend sent me this....

Hehe... call me nuts... I like it.
    Last edited by BayviewSax; 03-22-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: changed notification preference.

E-mail problem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramZsax

lol

E-mail problem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi
    Last edited by donme144; 03-23-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayviewsax: Thanks for putting these up, some nice stuff. However, the links are not all working for me. The Rain, Warm Up and Meditation on world Peace bring up object not found or error messages.
    BTW, don't worry about putting stuff up that's more jazzy. This thread is for the whole range of freely improvised musics. It's nice to hear different approaches to free playing. I'm curious, do you usually use a sort of modal harmonic platform as a base to solo off of or it that more dictated by the way the bassist plays?
    Did you ever come across that drummer Erik Lunde?

Jason: I liked Quiet, as well. And knots had some nice bits. It's fun to hear you do the full on screaming! I also enjoyed the sort of static guitar section in the middle, reminded me a lot of an early Sonic Youth track from "Confusion is Sex", I can't remember which one.

Also, Bayview and Jason, I accidentally listened to a Minute with Miles and a Seagull Story simultaneously for about 30 seconds. It happened in a very smooth way, Seagull was about 15 seconds in or something, after the guitar and piano joined in, then Miles started playing in the background, I think it works pretty well, actually! Though it's statements like that that will make free jazz skeptics freak out. AHHHH!!!!

OK, so here is some new stuff, on the jazzier side of things. These are big files but if you have some time you might enjoy them:

Duo with drummer Tatsuya Nakatani
    www.johndikeman.com/nakatani.mp3

Quartet with Jack Wright (as), Nate Wooley(trp), and Mike Pride (dr)
    www.johndikeman.com/quartet.mp3

The Color Now Band Ty Cumbie (gt), Daniel Carter (trp), Sky Steele (vln), Dave Ambrosio (bs), Lukas Ligeti (dr)
    www.johndikeman.com/color.mp3

Also, check out this site, there's a full album available for download by a good friend of mine and fantastic sax player, Keefe Jackson:
    http://www.archive.org/details/beta115

Great stuff guys. Let's hear some other people too! I know of a few other SOTW members who are into this music. Mike Milillo, Dolphyo... What about Tim Price, I'd love to hear some of his free stuff. I suppose I should PM these guys....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, beginners are welcome, too, or people that simply have low self esteem...

It's nice to just hear people and all say good things about each other but it would be great if we could get some more people on here and have some real discussion about playing this music!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey - i like to play in that way...though i don´t have any stage experience with it...and i´m not really focusing on it. if I had any recorded stuff...i could up it...whatever.

liked Ungaya Muana Ngo? and knots!!!

still have to listen to your tracks, john dikeman.

P.S.: Just realized I got something here which might fit...but i don´t have any webspace at the moment...if anyone has some...pm me. else, i will find another way.
    Last edited by ismail; 03-22-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, finally.
    I have 2 tracks for you.
    To download them both, you either have to wait 2 hrs in between or disconnect from the internet for a second to get a new IP:

spit it out

take a train

I admit - it´s not freejazz. But it is fully improvised, no head etc. planned.
    Has some more and some less free elements in it.
    Just listen to it and you can tell.

story:
    I was in a band room with a drummer friend to test record my new alto sax.
    I recorded some things on his laptop (he also had some electronic beats which I played to).
    after I was done he couldn´t resist the call of the drumset in that room and so we jammed. I was pretty exhausted by then so my tongue and fingers didn´t really work as I wanted, but hey - it´s the best recording i can offer for this topic.

bye,
    ismail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres on of Ken Barry on his new Downtown line of mouthpieces

http://www.saxscape.com/audio/downtown-funk-1.mp3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Dikeman
    Bayviewsax: Thanks for putting these up, some nice stuff. However, the links are not all working for me. The Rain, Warm Up and Meditation on world Peace bring up object not found or error messages.
    BTW, don't worry about putting stuff up that's more jazzy. This thread is for the whole range of freely improvised musics. It's nice to hear different approaches to free playing. I'm curious, do you usually use a sort of modal harmonic platform as a base to solo off of or it that more dictated by the way the bassist plays?
    Did you ever come across that drummer Erik Lunde?
    John: Thanks for the vote of confidence and the tips on the links. I somehow pasted them all wrong after I'd tested them. They're fixed now.

As for the question about the harmonic platform, my best answer is, perhaps. Usually, one guy starts playing, and the rest follow suit. I probably naturally fall into a modal harmonic platform, but truly, most of the stuff Equal Time is doing is very spontaneous with minimal arrangement. It's kind of funny, at one show, an audience member whom I respect very much as a listener, asked, "Where'd you guys come up with that arrangement?" I pointed to the floor with both index fingers and said, "Right here, right now." He thought I was yanking his chain, but truly everything we do is about listening to one another.

I have not yet happened across Mr. Lunde.

E-mail problem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my "free" jazz. I recorded this a while ago.

bad day 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ismail and donme144, I can't get your links to work either. Maybe it's me.

Bayviewsax, finally got a chance to listen to those extra tracks of yours. It's nice to hear you doing this stuff on bari, something I'd like to try more of. There aren't that many bari players around in this style, which is too bad because I think the instrument suits it. Have you listened to Mats Gustafsson play bari? He's an amazing technician, nobody can play a bari like him, at least not that I've heard.
    I like how you stretched the group on The Rain, also. There was a moment there when you felt the momentum really changing, I just wish the rest of the band would have jumped into it. The bass player could have moved out of the ostinato thing and completely altered the texture, but perhaps that's not what you guys are going for. I often find that the free music I like best is when I don't know where it's going. It just feels like you're on a ride and you don't know what's coming next. my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayviewsax, forgot, The Rain and Warm up work, but meditation still doesn't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Dikeman
    Bayviewsax, forgot, The Rain and Warm up work, but meditation still doesn't...
    Fixed.

John, we do pretty much fly by the seat of our pants, which earns *zero* respect in this heavily Berkleefied region. I'm done apologizing for what we do. If people want to rehash that tired **** everybody else is doing, let them; our small but appreciative audiences get it and I'm not trying to get rich.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast