Sax on the Web Forum banner

Who has the oldest sax?

21K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Stomper 
G
#1 ·
I am curious, maybe it has been asked before, but:

WHO OWNS THE OLDEST SAX??

Please post if you have one that is older then the previous post.

I have a Dec. 1919 King C-Melody in mint condition.

#27 ·
Littlesax,
I once owned a Conn curved soprano from around 1920 just like yours, but I'm sure mine was a different horn. Mine also had rolled tone holes on the bottom bow, straight tone holes on the (straight) body section, and soldered-on tone holes on the bell section. It played exceptionally well.

My MYSPACE page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

#29 ·
saxtek said:
Littlesax,
I once owned a Conn curved soprano from around 1920 just like yours, but I'm sure mine was a different horn. Mine also had rolled tone holes on the bottom bow, straight tone holes on the (straight) body section, and soldered-on tone holes on the bell section. It played exceptionally well.
My understanding is that we're talking about about less than 10,000 woodwind instruments being built at the Conn facility during this RTH transition period. I imagine that many of these were flutes and clarinets and then of course our beloved saxophones. In this last case, I have to assume that most were altos, tenors, baris, Cmels, and straight sops. It makes me wonder how many curved sops were built during this transitional period, and better yet, how many of them are in playing condition today.

#30 ·
Tharruff,

Randy and the Viceroys were:

Erick Meyer, guitar
Dale Meyer, drums
Ralph Pence, keyboards
George Dalhamer, bass
Randy Emerick, saxophone
Jim Dossett, vocals
Royce Shirley, vocals

Dayton Ohio, Wilbur Wright High School

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:
http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

#33 ·
My oldest saxophone now is a Buescher True-Tone Series II Tenor from right around 1918.

I have no clue how it sounds as it needs pads, corks, felts, and some other repairs.

Once it's fixed, we'll see how she sounds and maybe make it a main axe.

I also have -now- a 1928 True Tone alto that needs pads, felt and corks to be playable. We'll see how that goes.

Also a 1927 Conn New Wonder II straight soprano. Very playable horn. Found it in the instrument room of the band I play with. I get to use it FREE!!

dv

#34 ·
Can you help?

I am trying to find out how to ask a question on this site. I really do not know computers very good. I want to find out some information about a sax I have. I want to know if has any worth. I have a sax. It says on the sax, "Symplex Saxophon Made in Germany Registered". I have tried to search the internet but found nothing. Does anyone know anything about this. It is an old relic, I don't know if it works, no reed mouth piece. Almost looks hand made with crude tools.
Could you email me if you know anything at all about this.
My email is lgrentals@hotmail.com
Thank you thank you
lyn

#37 ·
I have a silver plated Buffet bari that looks just like Mr Lee's. Mine also has the dual octave keys, no pearls, and a huge sound. It has almost no dings, so was never abused. I polished the bell, upper crook, and keys, but left the almost shiny looking tarnish on the rest, for a cool 2 tone look.

Mine has Carl Fischer engraved with the Buffet address, and it a couple of years later I think, based on the serial number (around 1908).

#38 ·
I am curious, maybe it has been asked before, but:

WHO OWNS THE OLDEST SAX??

Please post if you have one that is older then the previous post.

I have a Dec. 1919 King C-Melody in mint condition.
The oldest Saxophone is the 1841 C Bass Saxophone, made by Adolphe Sax himself. That year is the first year he introduced the saxophone to Hector Berlioz. 3 years later he introduced the saxophone to the rest of the world.

So the oldest Saxophone is nearly 173 years old! Assuming that that original saxophone still exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.