Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kavala
    Now there's a simple question...
    Pity there isn't a simple answer.
    Of course the reason there isn't a simple answer is that there is no best horn. I think you can say there are some very good horns and some less than desireable horns, but really no best, even for a given player. For example, when I'm playing my Buescher Aristocrat 156 tenor, for a time it clearly seems to be the best tenor I own. Then I pick up my MK VI and it seems to be the best, for a time. Then it's back to the Buescher. Now I have a series one Buescher tenor, and it often seems to be the best. The fact is all three of them are great horns, but they each have something special. As Pete said, just get a Connsherkingmer. I happen to like the vintage horns (MKVI and earlier) best, but many prefer the newer horns.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth what everyone else has said. There is no "best" sax. If there were, only one company would be in the sax business.

If you like Albright, then do the legwork necessary to find out what he plays. I'm sure he has a website that lists his equipment. A warning, though: just because you like the way he sounds on that sax doesn't mean you're going to sound that way too, or even like his sax.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jazzy - Well, I don't think your question is so much what is "the best" sax, as much as it is what's the best sax you should get for yourself.

But I'm wondering if you know how much "the best" sax would cost you, because if you don't, first, maybe you can't afford it in which case a lot of responders may just be whizzing into the wind with their suggestions and, secondly, maybe you should ask the question "what saxes would you folks recommend that are all about the same level of quality for $X,XXX.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jazzy E,
    Without a doubt you must have an INDERBINEN http://www.inderbinen.com/Page_e/SaxAlto_e.html. In fact you should probably have at least 2- one just for back up.

Just my $0.02

john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jazzy E, here's some objective, honest truth for you. Pay attention, because this'll probably be the only post on this thread you'll find worthwhile:

First of all, let me sum up the last 25 posts in the thread for you: using Gerald Albright's setup will not cause you to sound like Gerald Albright. Nor would using Sonny Rollins' setup cause you to sound like Sonny Rollins and nor would using Kenny G's setup cause you to sound like Kenny G. If you truly want to sound like Gerald Albright, you'll have to listen to his recordings and learn to make yourself sound like him. Can a different setup help you sound like him? Sure, it can--but who knows what setup that could be? The one he's got gives him his sound, but you'll doubtlessly require a completely different setup to get a similar sound.

However, as so many members of this board have reiterated (literally) countless numbers of times, developing the sound you want has little to do with your setup. Once you've got a good concept down and you're beginning to become comfortable with your tone, you'll be able to use different setups to tweak and tune your sound to your liking--but that takes a TON of time to achieve. Ask any serious musician--they're always working on tone development, no matter how skilled they are.

So basically, though the tone of various saxophones can be compared to a certain extent, it's nearly impossible to objectively suggest any saxophone as the best tone-producer. For instance, it's not unlikely to find an instrument that is bright for one musician and dark for the other. Of course, if you're looking for a "best" saxophone in terms of features, I'm pretty sure the Keilwerth Shadow has got most others beat.
    I neglect to use the search function.

- M.A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best? It's obvious, isn't it? Get a Mason.
    www.thomkeith.net ** e-mail ** Try your luck at a Blindfold Test

Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just make sure it's a Perry Mason. Beware imitators!

Distinguished SOTW Member OnyxSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get out there and play as many horns as you can, new, used, vintage, modern. Don't fall in love with the first sax you play. You might go on and find another one you like even better. Take the time to get the education on horns. Ask questions. You'll find that the depth of experience on this forum is simply amazing. You could find an Ishkabbible 452 saxophone, and I guarantee you that someone on this forum either owned or played one and has an opinion on it.

No matter what horn you play, you're going to end up sounding like YOU, so you need to find a horn that comes closest to what you want a saxophone to be. When you feel it, you'll know what horn is right for you.

I have a definite preference for used horns. I can't justify spending the prices that new horns command. I've also found I have a fondness for the old vintage horns, but that's my personal preference.
    Ask me about my Vintage Conns and Bueschers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd A-B a load of saxes side by side with the aid of a minidisc. trouble is some years later you'll listen to the MD again and hear somthing different you like. Theres that damn thing called perception that gets in the way. I 'd say make one change at a time (unless starting from scratch) then play it a lot for at least 3 months before trying to judge or change again. The playing bit is far more important than the gear, as is the sound you are seeking in you head. try getting a few players to swap radically different setups. You'll probably be amused at the results. setups will change little, with the sound transferring with the player!
    UKsaxman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only yamaha with no soul is a YtS-23 and thats only because its a student model

Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member qwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspur
    The only yamaha with no soul is a YtS-23 and thats only because its a student model
    '
    Aye Aye Aye... I think there is a thread here somehwere detailing a SOTW (Bodhi, if I recall) who sold his Mark VI and now plays a YTS-23, and happily. The YTS-23 is a great horn, solidly built with a sweet tone, student horn or not. Soul is the responsibility of the player.

Steve
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. -- F.Z.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do Yamahas have no Soul?

I think we can trace the soul problem to an old German Sax friend who has all the soul taken from countless Yamaha players:

It's amazing what people do for profit. Faust Saxophones: buy a horn, sell your soul.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what's the best Saxophone you could buy?

If you can get one, go with a B&S 2001 series IV. Which just might be the best sax ever made. Although some would argue the Selmer Mark VI, having played both and having the money to buy either I chose the B&S by far a better horn, but thats just me. I started on Amati which I liked as well which is a little more of a budget horn.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    If you can get one, go with a B&S 2001 series IV. Which just might be the best sax ever made. Although some would argue the Selmer Mark VI,.....
    Welcome BigDawg
    This is an interesting first post and an interesting choice of topic for a first post. So I'm curious ,What brings you here to SOTW?
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best sax I could buy?

At the moment, this:

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Every sax player can immediately answer your question. The best horn is the one they own!
    Close, JL, but not quite. Correct answer is:

The best horn is the one they own and are currently trying to sell you!

Forum Contributor 2016
    The official SOTW Little Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enviroguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesklar
    the souless Yamamaha really takes a bad rap .. moreso than Yani for some reason
    No factory can give a sax a soul. It takes blood, sweat, tears and a few dents to do that.
    EXACTLY!
    Jazzy E, take note of this. You can almost make any sax sound good...it's all up to you.

But if you're deciding to get serious, I'd consider an upper end Yamaha, Selmer Paris, or Yanagisawa. Any of these would be great.
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since folks are making all of these wacky statements on a thread which...wackily...probably was laying on page 5 of this section for the past 2 years until this week........

here's my wacky answer:

A good vintage one, overhauled up the wazoo. Conn, Buescher, King, Keilwerth, Martin, Weltklang, Holton, the smaller French makers....

...because...vintage sopranos sound much sweeter than contemporary ones....their tone has more depth, more roundness.....

...so if you can deal with some intonation adjustments which come with the vintage soprano territory....

....they are just BETTER horns than newer ones.

So there.....

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JL
    Every sax player can immediately answer your question. The best horn is the one they own!
    I wish that were true

Nothing wrong with mine for what I paid for it, but Im on a budget...and it shows.
    LOL, thread ressurection?

Well, times have moved on for me...my budget increased and I now have a pair of B&S made horns that I have absolutely no desire at all to upgrade from... In fact i think its fair to say that I am entirely GAS free (at the moment )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast